Will It Be A Bumper Year?

Meantime

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Andrew, the unfortunate lager lout image to which I referred is as regretfully portrayed by U-Tube and viewed by a huge amount of people.

Peter. I refer to your initial comment with regard to "lager louts" where you made reference to Snowdonia and of course the above. I would also like to add EastCoastIPA into the mix as well, a relatively new contributer. Nothing personal old chap just an old man musing. Nothing more.

On 25/01/2018 at 13:12, EastCoastIPA said:

The lager lout image is probably more closely related to The Broads than any of the National Parks. More effort should be spent on trying to correct that image and controlling the behaviour of some of those parties than worrying about trying to be something they are not.

Unfortunately people tend to gravitate towards sensationalism, but I am comforted by a positive U-Tube contribution which has been made in the past by well known and respected members of our community.

That contribution far outweighs the negativity of the former.

Of course we have rumbustious behaviour, it is a holiday destination after all. Is it a serious issue? I think not.

It is very few and far between and should not be over exaggerated. 

In fact, in speaking to many holiday makers in the past and the present time I can honestly say that it has never been a problem. I hope therefore that you will be able to understand my sensitivity towards an issue which has the potential to cause so much damage to the broads and its industry  and has no foundation whatsoever.

Andrew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We’ll be on Fair Regent 1 over Easter, and the preceding week. First time we’ve booked for 10 days! Planning to go down south, but the tides aren’t that great for getting back Sunday and Monday...not impossible but just a bit too close to sunset for my liking. Looks like we’ll end up down south when it’s quiet everywhere and then back up north for the busy bit. Ho hum!

Helen

• Like 2

I'm away over Easter too Helen, I will keep my eye out for your boat, I'll be the lager lout shouting and swimming in the water. Come and say hi, I'll throw you a tinnie 

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We’ll be on Fair Regent 1 over Easter, and the preceding week. First time we’ve booked for 10 days! Planning to go down south, but the tides aren’t that great for getting back Sunday and Monday...not impossible but just a bit too close to sunset for my liking. Looks like we’ll end up down south when it’s quiet everywhere and then back up north for the busy bit. Ho hum!

Helen

I understand Helen. I don't much like the long slog between Great Yarmouth and Stracey going back north. I've been in the position when I was slightly worried about daylight - I tried passing Great Yarmouth long before slack so we'd have plenty of daylight but consequently we had to battle against the strong ebb on the Bure at 2mph for a while - not nice. I shouldn't worry too much about busyness at Easter - in my experience it's not too bad, especially with Easter being early. 

• Like 1

I for one hope it is a "bumper season" on the Broads, local businesses deserve it because they need to keep going over the winter. Talking with the landlords of our favorite pubs, we really  gained an insight into the often precarious nature of running a business on the Broads. Due to early retirement, last year was our first as more or less "continuous cruisers" from May to October, apart from the first two weeks of the school holidays we had very few problems. Admittedly we were hit by a hire boat, encountered the ubiquitous speeders, rude people and  late night engine runners, but these minor irritations did not spoil our enjoyment. We avoid the hire boat honey pots during the busiest times and with careful planning we found there was plenty of moorings. This meant booking ahead at places such as Oulton Broad and Beccles. We are based at Somerleyton and due to several issues with BG, we stayed on the Southern Broads, thus we did not encounter the so called "lager louts" apart from our own who we confined to our specially designed brig.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Ahhh  but there were the glorious offerings of Norwich Bitter, Double Diamond and Watneys Red Barrel! :default_dry:

Those were the days, first time ever drunk with the aid of a party seven.:default_beerchug: Port and lemon for the girls.

Nowadays I'm more of a Saga lout.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

This must have been where I went wrong. The girl I was enamoured with at the time insisted on Crème de Menthe Frappée.

Imagine trying to order that in the Boat and Bottle on a Saturday night!

I had heard that a good Frappee was worth seeking out!

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I had black velvet flares and a pair of burgundy crushed velvet flares and  Ben shirts back in the day. I guess we all thought we were dashing:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

Ben Sherman?