Having The Right Tackle

Simon

I'm looking for a bit of advice please, we bringing our boat to the Broads shortly and there was a post recently about Mud weights which got me thinking.

Are there any must haves or nice to haves items of equipment or useful stuff that are perhaps specific to the broads.

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm looking for a bit of advice please, we bringing our boat to the Broads shortly and there was a post recently about Mud weights which got me thinking.

Are there any must haves or nice to haves items of equipment or useful stuff that are perhaps specific to the broads.

Hello Simon,

When you get a mooring sorted out, you may want to fit dock fenders to the moorings or fix eyelets so you can string large fenders to the moorings, maybe even make up some dock lines so you can moor up easily.

Larger ball fenders can help when mooring on the Southern Broads if you encounter the heavier river pilings or at locations such as Reedham where the concrete edged moorings  can damage gel-coat.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Blue bow fenders anyone?

A good selection of fenders is something of a must have for pessimists and those who haven't quite got the hang of it yet, especially on the North Rivers.

P1020873.JPG

A bit of a statement there. I like the fenders on top of the windscreen, I wonder what they are to protect the boat from? 

29 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

A bit of a statement there. I like the fenders on top of the windscreen, I wonder what they are to protect the boat from? 

That will be form the quay heading on the southern rivers , we go up n down a bit down in the south :15_yum:

A decent decanter is always a must, and of course some silver decanter labels. One needs to remember that on a boat there really isn't enough space for the proper numbers of decanters so from time to time one has to use the same decanter for the port as you used for the wine, which you also used for the sherry.. Never forget that some discomforts always need to be allowed for on a boat. Roughing it is all part of the fun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

A decent decanter is always a must, and of course some silver decanter labels. One needs to remember that on a boat there really isn't enough space for the proper numbers of decanters so from time to time one has to use the same decanter for the port as you used for the wine, which you also used for the sherry.. Never forget that some discomforts always need to be allowed for on a boat. Roughing it is all part of the fun.

But we have our own in built drinks cabinet - I have a spare decanter if you should ever need one ! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I've 2 crystal decanter's n both are in storage , unnecessary  really the said substance even comes in a glass container  why put it another ? :15_yum:

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I've 2 crystal decanter's n both are in storage , unnecessary  really the said substance even comes in a glass container  why put it another ? :15_yum:

I always keep an expensive bottle of malt on standby ready for a refill from Aldi  own brand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SteveO said:

When you are roughing it, all you need are a Port decanter and a Starboard decanter.

And if the 2 meet then Huston we have a problem  :default_beerchug: 

18 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Simon,

When you get a mooring sorted out, you may want to fit dock fenders to the moorings or fix eyelets so you can string large fenders to the moorings, maybe even make up some dock lines so you can moor up easily.

Larger ball fenders can help when mooring on the Southern Broads if you encounter the heavier river pilings or at locations such as Reedham where the concrete edged moorings  can damage gel-coat.

Regards

Alan  

Hi Alan,

ive got a mooring in Brooms all sorted, will have to check about fitting dock fenders. 

Good tip about ball fenders, thanks.

21 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Never lasts long enough once the bottle is open to put in a decanter 

• Like 1

In my 'boat kit' the essential items I keep to hand are:

• A 'cigarette lighter' USB charger for my phone
  • A suitable App on my phone for GPS speed (or a stand alone GPS unit)
  • Spare AA and AAA batteries
  • An LED head Torch and  LED Handheld Torch
  • Rubber fronted non-slip work gloves (great for rope handling and wet decks and grab rails)
  • Life Jacket
  • Binoculars
  • Tidal chart (Web based is always handy as can save link to your phones home screen )
  • Paper base map - they often have handy information to shore based amenities too

When it comes to boat centric stuff that's all down o personal choice what you may like to do is have some spliced dock lines made up so your nice decent lines can be stowed and the shorted dock lines take all the weather and are left behind when you leave the mooring. Some also do the same with fenders only keeping the nice ones for when out and about on the rivers to keep them looking smarter.

Consider having a second mud weight if you like to fish as this can hold you in a spot easier in light wind conditions - I;d not recommend this for overnight moorings or where wind speeds may increase as the boat cannot move with current and wind.

Avoid tall stem wine glasses, nice as they are you can bet your boots they will get broken on a boat. Stubby thicker based glasses tend to weather boating and BBQ'S better in my experience

• Like 1

A bucket is a must on a Broads boat, ideal for bailing, putting muddy shoes in, sea-anchor if you break down on Breydon, slops, privy, washing up, cleaning vegetables,  camping stool for piles sufferers, shopping basket, marsh mushroom picking, swilling the decks, dyke dydling, collecting fish and crabs in, gathering sloes and blackberries. scrumping, sea-sickness, dirty nappies and sanitary pads and eventually and finally kicking. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Avoid tall stem wine glasses, nice as they are you can bet your boots they will get broken on a boat. Stubby thicker based glasses tend to weather boating and BBQ'S better in my experience

One litre German lager Steins take some beating, especially for red wine or Pimms!