Maps (and Charts If You Like)

johnb

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Well, I have to disagree. I am all for the technology, but also really against Sat-Navs.

The reason is the Sat-Nav as a unit will be history like the Cassette Tape in five years so enjoy them while you can now. The fact is they had their 'prime time' but they offer very little for their cost and having another unit when your smartphone can either run the same App from Tom Tom or Garmin further tells me the things are yesterday's tech.

The issue is you have competing firms loosing market share and money - they just can't long term keep up with the mapping services as this all needs to be paid for and this is where Google (and Apple) win since they can and do invest hundreds of millions of dollars into their mapping services. So the best sat nav? It's Google Maps.

The other benefit of Google Maps is how it helps even those without a car. I had to get from Brundall to Ludham Bridge. It was able to tell me the train times from Brundall, and the connection at Norwich. When I got to Wroxham I knew where the bus stop was, what nus to get and when it was due. When I needed to call the boatyard to tell them I was on my way but did not have the number saved in my phone, Google Maps knew my destination and in a tap I had the details and number to call George. I simply could not imagine now not having this in the pocket to rely on because all those services can be got elsewhere, but not quickly and not so easily and sometimes not for free.

I used to use Google maps all the time but then I found that just as you got to a complicated junction or near you destination the phone would ring. My 'always connected' TomTom is the dog's doo-dahs

27 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

For motorists Waze is the way to go , it is owned by Google uses their maps but has real time updates  

I thought that was what having the 'traffic' overlay on Google Maps also provided, via 'Waze' so I did not know Waze was a standalone App - off to the App Store..

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

So if I understand you correctly Robin, it's not that you are against "Satnav" it's that you are against having dedicated satnav units. If that's the case I don't really agree with you, I'm not so keen to have all my eggs in one basket. 

I respect your view, and if you wish to have separate devices be my guest. I suspect you say what you have about not keeping all your eggs in one basket because (and if I keep the metaphor going) what happens if your basket breaks?

The things is baskets (or devices) don't really breakdown anymore. I own various devices, some Android and most Apple and are both tablets and phones of various ages. None have ever 'broken down'. What does happen is they get slower or are unable to run new versions of the operating systems and Apps which then renders them less useful. 

The most common problem I see is broken connectors and screens rendering units unable to be charged or used  usually because they have been dropped. I drop my phone too (who does not) so it is worth investing not in phone insurance with all the clauses that involves and excess, but just a very decent protective case. 

So as long as I don't drop the phone in the river or some low life Moped thief does not get to it, I have all I need right there with me.  When I am on the boat my phone is the phone, the speedo, the map and the music player - and often the camera and video camera too, where upon it can be the video editor. It also serves as the way I pay for beer in the pub and check my account since I now very rarely have any cash with me or a wallet but despite it all there are issues: When I messed up my hands with a chemical cleaner and 'lost' my fingerprints for a week, I really got frustrated not being able to use the phone as my contactless payment method as I could not verify it was me with my fingerprint.

Finally all a Sat-Nav can do is navigate you to a location it is is single task but once at the location it's task is over with. It won't tell you anything else about the place or area like Google Maps could.  It is the same as having a CD player in a car. You listen to the CD but then you get out and the music has to end. If you want it to continue, you must take the CD with you, and then if you want to listen to the music on the move have a portable CD player, or  if at home use the Hi-Fi. It is doable, it is also very cumbersome so having less things to do the same job I think is better.

• Like 1

I was fishing on Sunday in Enfield on the Lea Navigation. (I'm convinced there aren't any fish in there but that's another story) there was a youngish guy with a map possibly on some sort of hike or expeditioin. He was lost and asked if I could help him. He showed me the map but unfortunately I had now idea where we were along the river as I'd just cycled along until I found a spot a liked. So when I got my phone out to check a felt a strange sense of guilt as no doubt the guy could have done that but had chosen to use his map. None the less he seemed grateful when he realised he'd missed his exit from the tow path. He left me with a sense nostalgia for for D of E expidition weekends and the orange OS Explorer map. 

• Like 1

Robin,, you said "So as long as I don't drop the phone in the river or some low life Moped thief does not get to it,"

That's my point entirely. Yes I agree that reliability has improved immensely, but there are other dangers that lurk. Theft, accidental damage or even just "Bugger I forgot to charge it".

There are probably other weaknesses or vulnerabilities, but I can see Satnav acting like other computers in the future. A "Self updating" system that is installed into cars but are so cheap they're not worth stealing.

Or whatever. Where I disagree with you is having only one piece of kit that does everything, and no backup system. Having a mobile that does everything is fine, but meanwhile still keep and use a tablet, Satnav and a pack of cards. You never know when you'll need them. 

I have an old tom tom in the car, when I am going somewhere I dont know, it might get used to navigate me the last mile, for the trip to the town near my destination I look at the map and memorise the main part of the route.

I leave the phone at home,

When I get on the boat, I press a button and off we go, charts not needed, the broads arn't that big I need a chart.

I know exactly where I am unless it's foggy in the middle of Hickling broad

• Like 1

Hickling in the fog is quite an experience, very magical place, we have also had a slightly surreal experience on a spring evening last year, beautiful clear evening and nobody else about. We decided to mud weight in the middle, the water was flat calm and reflecting the sparsely clouded sky, stood on top of the boat it was difficult to get your bearings, in fact the both of us were unsure which way up we were, even though it was perfectly still with no wind, we felt we had to hold onto the boat.I told Ross, the wildlife tour man at the staithe (excellent tour by the way) about it and he explained that it was a locally known phenomenon and gave it a name (forgotten of course) Apparently the victorians would offer trips in the hope people were lucy enough to experience it.

On 02/05/2018 at 16:11, Maxwellian said:

Robin... the number of my friends that have dropped their mobile in the toilet or bath is incredible. Never mind reliability what about numptieism.

Yep, stuff phone in back pocket of jeans. Go to the heads. Pull up jeans and splash in goes phone.

Answer dont put in back pocket. Or get good protective case and a waterproof phone like Samsung or Sony.

Some interesting points have been made here. But it is right to say some tend not to cover everyone and all devices. 

For example, the reason I said about dropping the phone in the river was the fact the phone would be no doubt lost - not as a result of the water damage but just gone for good somewhere in the mud at the bottom.

Most new high end phones are now as good as makes no difference waterproof. You could not go diving and film with them but drop one in the bath, or like I did accidentally swamped it when jet washing the boat and you’re fine. Spend a decent amount for a case with proper shock protection and you can stop worrying when you invitably drop the phone on the ground  

I guess it depends about how much you’re in to your technology. All the stuff in my phone also lives in the Cloud so if it was lost or stolen once I got another phone it would download everything just like it had never happened. 

What you will find increasingly with vehicles is a move away from the manufacture putting in their own system and software. They date too quickly  and are always clunky. It is now easier to have what essentially is a Tablet that might run Android, and through this the car maker will have Apps that work with their systems but allow you, the owner, to add your own. More and more automation is sure to come and you only have to look at how far Tesla have taken things.  You might not like the brand or car but the fact the cars have no physical switches other than wipers and indicators says a lot and something Range Rover is going for more with their new split screen centre console - which looks lovely.

Maybe I will eat my own words one day, but take today right now.  I am writing this from a train on my way to Norwich. I bought the ticket through my phone using an App. I paid for it using Apple Pay and verified the transaction with my finger print. I have no physical ticket just a digital version with a bar code and I hold my phone screen to the ticket barrier scanner to open the gate at Norwich. For branch lines, the Guard uses an App on his company Samsung phone to scan my phone screen and the bar code using his phones camera. Tickets are also sold through this and card payments taken with a Bluetooth chip and pin module  

When I get to Norwich I need to get a cab and I will order that using an App from Goldstar. The driver will use his phone to navigate to me and it will also send his position to my phone over the App so I can see how far away he is to where I am in almost real time. 

I could never go back to using ticket machines and ticket offices with queues,  it just works so easily now and so far, never had an issue and don’t imagine I would certainly not to make me worry if this is a good thing to rely on. The humble phone really has come so far  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can run my apps through my new car. It does have Sat Nav but along the North Coast I hae a choice of google or I can even put up OS. It has voice control. Which I have used once to find petrol.but all my travel i  oz was stored digitally and Uber was superb in the large cities.

I wouldn’t touch stand alone tom tom or garmin either.

The lady from Coventry comes with integrated infotainment system that has touch screen and a sat nav, it runs my apps from my phone in the car and seamlessly transfers my directions from my satnav to my app on my phone when I get out and start walking.

the screenshot I sent when in France was from the app. It also runs my parking app which covers thousands of cities across Europe and the US. The system has free upgrades whilst I’m leasing it ( I’ve already had two in a year)

off to the US tomorrow using good old google lady as sat nav in the hire car.

M

So the best sat nav? It's Google Maps.

Have to disagree there.
Waze is better. Based on Google maps and owned by Google but with better functionality.
Ironically Garmin and TomTom etc are now selling digital mapping to car manufacturers and Google and Apple.

I bought the ticket through my phone using an App. I paid for it using Apple Pay and verified the transaction with my finger print

Is this the dark ages?
Finger print? No facial recognition?
I vaguely remember that technology.

On 01/05/2018 at 20:59, grendel said:

I dunno Tim, I always put the roaring donkey further upstream from Potter Bridge.

Me too. Below Thunder Hill on the side of the Dyke at Martham Ferry, opposite Heigham Holmes.