A (sort Of) Voyage Of Discovery

Mouldy

6 hours ago, scaniaman said:

Vet Did you ever go out birding in the famous Batley Variety Club, wearing a velvet jacket?

I had many happy evenings at Batley. I think the first was Hank Marvin. I used to sport a very heavily embroidered bandsmans jacket and crushed velvet purple loons along with the obligatory tie dyed grandad vests daubed with patchoulli and a pair of moccasins from the "Scout Shop" . We had a cracking shop in Leeds in those days called "Boodle Am".  My most memorable night at Batley though was at a table right next to the stage with my chin on the stage delighting over "Hot Gossip". Remember Kenny's "Naughty Bits"??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great that you have enjoyed your first taste of a lovely boat. 

Journey wise, you could consider Peterborough Wisbech etc as an alternative to Huntingdon. 

We generally grasp the nettle and do the A14, route sometimes stopping at Elveden for a nice lunch which sweetens the pill if held up in the mega roadworks.

I've pulled a few more photos off my phone, that were largely 'grabbed' whilst helming, although the shots of my dinner at the White Horse and the basin at Loddon clearly weren't!!

I'll try to write the conclusion to our tale tomorrow and add the last of the photos, too.

Chet.jpg

Chet_2.jpg

chet_3.jpg

Chet_4.jpg

Chet_5.jpg

Cheeks.jpg

Beef.jpg

• Like 5

I was going to finish this tomorrow, but the wife is watching I'm a Celebrity, so I've made better use of the time!!

Monday 19thNovember

I was awake early as usual and laid in bed for a while, thinking how much I would have preferred to stay for the rest of the week, instead of returning home later.  By about 06:30, the need for a brew became too strong, so I pulled back the duvet and got up, leaving the wife and Harley still snoring.  With the kettle on the hob and the immersion heater switched on, I went into the saloon and peered out and across the basin.  

I was immediately apparent that the gloriously sunny weather we had enjoyed on Saturday and Sunday had given way to a far more autumnal, windy morning.  I could hear the wavelets slapping against the hull at the bow and was glad that we’d been using the aft cabin.

It wasn’t long before the wife got up and dressed, ready to take Harley for her walk.  She set off up the high street, just as it started to rain, heading for the church to find what paths she could take and where they led to.  As previously mentioned, we’d never been as far as the moorings at the end of the Chet before and it was new territory for us both.

I had my tea and made some toast for breakfast and made Debbie the same when she returned with the dog a while later.  Somehow, she had found the path leading from the church to the moorings at Pyes Mill by accident.  Hope she can remember which way she’d gone when we return later in the year!! Although we’d enjoyed a pleasant night there, I can imagine it would be much busier and less peaceful when the hire fleets are on the rivers and Pyes Mill looks a much more inviting proposition for a quiet night.

I went to shower and dress and when finished, the wife did the same.  I must say that the immersion heater is great – not having to run the engine for hot water was an unexpected bonus when we bought into the syndicate.

The rain had stopped and the sun kept peeking through breaks in the clouds, but there was a strong, easterly breeze bringing a sharp nip to the air as we cast off, heading slowly back up the Chet.  It was an uneventful cruise and we didn’t see another boat until we had turned onto the Yare at Hardley Cross.

The wind was creating quite a ‘chop’ on the river as we headed back towards Cantley, the plant and a plume of steam spurting from the chimney clearly visible for miles across the flat land of the surrounding countryside.  We were in no particular hurry, keeping the revs down and enjoying the day.

It was too early to take Moonlight back to base, so I turned off the river at Langley Dyke and moored to the BA moorings near the end.  Harley was pleased to get off and mooch about, the wife was busy cross-stitching and I went for a wander with my camera.  The smell from the sugar refinery was being carried by the breeze as I walked up the other side of the dyke to the junction with the Yare, where I turned and wandered back.  

The clouds were threatening more showers, but fortunately the rain held off and the sun came out for short periods as they passed overhead.  Back at the boat, we started to pack a few things away, before having some lunch, washing up and tidying the galley.  To be honest, as we hadn’t done much cooking there wasn’t much to tidy, but everything was put back into place, ready for the next syndicate members to arrive.

We set off again, destination Brundall and slowly retraced our earlier passage back up Langley Dyke and onto the Yare.  The river was quiet, one or two fishermen in dinghies and a cruiser were all we saw. The sky became dark and threatening as we passed Coldham Hall and sure enough, the heavens opened as we prepared to moor a Brooms to refuel and get a pump-out.

I topped up the water whilst we waited for someone to attend and top up with diesel.  With the pump-out completed and the fuel and water topped up, we moved the few yards to our mooring and secured Moonlight Shadow.

The wife stripped the bed, folded and packed the bed linen and I set about the saloon, tidying cables, chargers and cameras, before taking the blankets off the settees that we always use to protect the furnishings from our dog’s hairs.  Being a Staffie, she has a smooth coat and fortunately doesn’t leave many hairs anyway, but prevention is easier that the cure, so they say.

I moved the car and started to pack our things, just as another shower started.  It was soon packed, so out with the Dyson for a quick vacuum round. All that was left to do was wash down the outside, but as I went out with the mop, the heavens opened again. Just a quick swill round would have to suffice on this occasion, but I’m sure that nature would have helped with the amount of precipitation that followed.

We switched everything off, locked up and sadly pulled away at about 16:30.  I needed some diesel for the car, so pulled into the Shell garage on the roundabout as we left Brundall to fill up, before heading for home.  The journey back to Northampton proved much less eventful than on the way up a couple of days previously and we arrived home just after 19:00.

It had been a short trip on Moonlight, but a good one.  For the most part, the weather had been clement, the boat had been great and we were happy.

And to answer the question, any regrets about buying into the syndicate . . . . . . . yes . . . . . . . . . . we should have done it years ago, but we happy that we have finally made the investment and are looking forward to many more holidays on her now we are in!!

Roll on February – neither of us can wait.

DSCF4292.jpg

DSCF4297.jpg

DSCF4298.jpg

DSCF4302.jpg

DSCF4308.jpg

P1020820.jpg

P1020823.jpg

P1020824.jpg

P1020826.jpg

P1020828.jpg

P1020829.jpg

P1020832.jpg

P1020835.jpg

P1020837.jpg

P1020841.jpg

P1020847.jpg

Chet_Mon.jpg

Chet_Mon_2.jpg

• Like 9

Ooh, Mouldy, you are just increasing our jealousy of not being in a position to take up a part ownership in a syndicate!  However , we can’t tear ourselves away from holiday blogs (and this one was an especially good one) so the least you can do is continue with the excellent standard of relating your journeys on Moonlight. More next year please!

Enjoyed seeing all your photos. Funny how the Broads has this pull, that no matter how many holiday tales you read, and how many times you see the same places, we all still come back for more.

I don't think syndicate ownership would work for us either at the moment ... but who knows in the future. So please do keep writing up all your trips.

Must be strange to read someone else's tale when other syndicate members are out on "your boat"!

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Langley Dyke is an oft missed gem, I love it there. 

Totally agree with that Simon. We've used it as a first night stop when we hired from Brundall, quite a good distance for a first run. And after the noise of Loddon and Beccles being close to roads, it is such a peaceful spot. :)

• Like 1

On 25/11/2018 at 22:44, Broads01 said:

Thanks Malcom. Langley Dyke is an oft missed gem, I love it there. 

We discovered it quite by accident one year on a hire boat.

We had come down the Yare in quite bad weather and there was quite a chop. We were not looking forward to an unpleasant night moored at either Cantley or Reedham.

By chance as we were debating the best option for the evening we passed the end of the dyke. We quickly turned, moored at the end of the dyke and had a very pleasant evening tucked away in the shelter.

• Like 2

On 23/11/2018 at 09:23, Polly said:

. . . . . . .Journey wise, you could consider Peterborough Wisbech etc as an alternative to Huntingdon. . . . . . . .

Could do, but Wisbech can be a pain sometimes, as can Kings Lynn.  I think on the weekend we went, the problem was exacerbated by the demolition of a bridge over the A14 causing the closure.

All in all, once there we had a great few days, so it was worth it in the end.

Thanks all, for the positive comments - it's good to know that when you've written up your tale, that someone reads them.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2018 at 22:43, Mouldy said:

Somehow, she had found the path leading from the church to the moorings at Pyes Mill by accident.  Hope she can remember which way she’d gone when we return later in the year!! 

Pye’s Mill is definitely quieter and much more pleasant than the basin moorings at busy times. It is an easy walk into Loddon too. There is also the BA mooring at Chedgrave Common, room for only 3/4 boats though (or 2 RC45s!). Nice walk along the riverbank into Chedgrave or Loddon. Also, heading away from the river, you can follow a track that leads to a main road heading into Chedgrave itself. A very useful store there that opens early in the morning being a newsagents too. 

Some super photos, shame you had so much river traffic to contend with though! (Just shows the benefit of being able to cruise out of season.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vanessan said:

Pye’s Mill is definitely quieter and much more pleasant than the basin moorings at busy times. It is an easy walk into Loddon too. There is also the BA mooring at Chedgrave Common, room for only 3/4 boats though (or 2 RC45s!). Nice walk along the riverbank into Chedgrave or Loddon. Also, heading away from the river, you can follow a track that leads to a main road heading into Chedgrave itself. A very useful store there that opens early in the morning being a newsagents too. 

Some super photos, shame you had so much river traffic to contend with though! (Just shows the benefit of being able to cruise out of season.)

I agree. I do like Loddon Staithe for a daytime stop but overnight I prefer the relative space and tranquility of Pyes Mill. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Found myself bumping around moored boats on the other side a hundred yards down the river at 3am!.

I believe there was quite a bit of trouble with louts at Loddon staithe last year but I haven’t heard of any problems this year. Did you not have your mudweight down at that time?

52 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

We have not had any issues there this year nor any in the past.

Regards

Alan

And I am sure there will be many who can say that. There were comments made last year on this forum concerning problems at Loddon which were sorted happily. 

• Like 1

I've been lucky as I've never had any problems or seen anyone else having problems that I can remember at Loddon, Norwich or elsewhere.

One thing is for sure though, if I saw anyone messing with mine or someone else's boat, lines or property they would be getting a size 12 boot somewhere they really wouldn't appreciate it being put.

I like Loddon staithe myself,  I don't find the road, fishermen or walkers ruin the tranquillity of the place but I do love it at Pyes Mill too :default_biggrin:

These sort of problems that crop up fairly rarely would not put me off staying anywhere. We had someone try to remove our aerial during the night when we moored in Norwich YS last year. They only managed to remove half of the bracket before we awoke and scared them off, it was annoying having to try and replace the bracket but I still love a trip to the City and won’t be put off. I think if you take all sensible precautions, and that sadly goes for almost anywhere these days, you’ll probably be ok. With luck you might have Jayfire’s size 12 come to your aid if something untoward happened. :186_high_heel:

Hi Mouldy,

We were aboard Lightning last week, and our paths crossed several times. We were in Rosie Lee`s on Sunday at lunchtime, and i had a look in the basin, but MS was`nt there, though i did see the little yacht (which was still there on Thursday and Friday) and the Elysian, you must have arrived after 2.00pm, as that was when we left to board Lightning. We had something planned down here at home on the Saturday evening, so did`nt go until Sunday, and stopped in Loddon for lunch.

We only took Lightning out on the river once to go to Snuggtopz to have her measured up for new flooring, but returned to our mooring at Brooms by 13,00, and used her as a houseboat for the rest of the week, which was a reasonable idea due to the crap weather.