Let's Drive: Levisham To Whitby

LondonRascal

Time for another outing, this time on the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors - and a very interesting beginning as we leave Levisham Station and climb up the single track road.  If you are not as keen on the music and editing of this, there is the 'serine' version here. However, I love Trance and Electronica and this was a big part of my life back in the day, so it is nice to share some lesser heard tracks and make a mix for this video. 

It was a truly remarkable time weather wise and a shame we only had two days to spend in this part of the world, but certainly somewhere to return to and explore more of the area and it's roads.

Sleights - A couple of years ago now Jan / Feb time me and the Wizard stopped here for a fortnight / three weeks upgrading holiday let properties - Proper up market they are too.  Nice village.  Whitby - Been countless times both as a civvy and staying weekends alongside onboard HM Ships Attacker and Explorer.  It is also a destination of mine on 'Ride Outs' on the mighty Tiger - Love the place

Griff

23 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

How did you like driving in proper open countryside?

Been doing that rather a lot in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, and here is something that is going to cause some surprise or even 'sadden'  Road Warriors who love such roads.  The open landscape, the sweeping bends and undulations and that feeling of taking a corner particularly well coming out the other side, feeding on the power with a smile on their face as they slip another gear...

Yeah..I don't think much about that side of things, but what I did find was the fact the car's auto box was so good at engine braking on the downhill sections - especially Sutton Bank which I did not film on the way back.  I was going to use manual mode to force the car to hold gears but that was not needed.  I was also surprised how many drivers do seem to ride the brakes on such sections which is just not needed.

Regardless of the future and emissions and so on, I do enjoy the low down torque a big Diesel provides and small things like the auto hold function that works flawlessly even on very steep gradients once you come to a stop it engages the brakes and keeps you there. Audi do something much the same but in past experience it uses a pretty light amount of brake pressure and if the car begins to move puts more on - mind you things may have changed, that was 9 years back.

I think the most interesting part for me was the journey back - I took the A1 then A14 then M11 - and we had a stop at Blythe Services for a walk about and to grab a drink, and including that stop meant a 5hr 8 minute journey from Scarborough to North London - the only hold ups was the good old North Circular having come off the M11. I used £47.89 of fuel going there (Via Brundall) and topped up in Seamer. Since then I have not and have just over half a tank left.

We discovered that neck of the woods yesterday and Monday, funeral in Scarborough on Monday came back yesterday via the A1249 and A614 - beautiful roads! We both vowed to come back and stay longer next time, all we saw of Scarborough was the crem and a quick drive along the seafront.

59 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear Yorkshire roads pah! What about doing the Hardnott pass in the Lake District that`s a good driving test for any discerning X5  captain. :default_biggrin: Or even the mighty Tiger.

Paul

Or Bealach na Ba and Shieldaig commonly known as The Pass of the Cattle to Applecross. 11.5 miles long rising to nealy 2100 ft from sea level and back to sea level. A good snow storm in late June is a regular.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

A good challenge for any driver is Cambridge when your playing guess what the cyclist is going to do next , it now seems the norm for cyclists to use a roundabout in which ever direction is the shortest to their destination even if that means the wrong way and into oncoming traffic

I learnt to drive in Cambridge. My instructor said if you see a cyclist look over their shoulder, you know they are going to do something (not necessarily what you think they are going to do, but are likely to be about to do a manoeuvre ) which has been so true in my experience.  

Im so glad i no longer commute into Cambridge. Cycle lanes everywhere at vast expense and many cyclists not using them but continue to cycle in the middle of the road and going across traffic lights on a red

oh and no lights on at night and wearing dark clothing!

• Like 1

Lulu , how right you are .

Last year I drove 60,000 miles of which 90% of the time was on Cambridge streets, I actually refer to cyclists in the same way as I do Day boats , which is annoying wasps !!!!

should add this only refers to those of either mode of transport that behave irresponsibly with no consideration for fellow road , or river users 

On 20/02/2019 at 12:06, stumpy said:

We discovered that neck of the woods yesterday and Monday, funeral in Scarborough on Monday came back yesterday via the A1249 and A614 - beautiful roads! We both vowed to come back and stay longer next time, all we saw of Scarborough was the crem and a quick drive along the seafront.

Next time give us a wave

• Like 1