Car Talk

LondonRascal

Do you know what this is?

It's a replacement sump plug for Trevor (Fitted over the weekend) only it's no ordinary sump plug, its a magnetic one. One that has an insulated magnet to stop the sump from being magnetized around the thread fitting.  I normally fit these to all my vehicles, they really do work and it is somewhat surprising when doing an oil change just how many tiny metal particles they trap

Griff

BA NBN 827.jpg

• Like 1

So, I got to thinking that those blue Ford centre caps look a bit naff now the rims are finished.  Blue in t middle just ain't doing it.  I wonder if I could get some red / green centre caps on line?

Hang on a second though.  I've got eight of these ere centre caps as the winter alloys also have them.

Never missing the chance to save a few quid, 80g paper sand / key up, 2 x coats of aerosol grey primer, then dig out the left over green and red heat resistant paint used on the callipers, 2 x coats of that.  Jobs a gudden and looks much better matching than the original blue colour

Griff  

BA NBN 828.jpg

BA NBN 829.jpg

BA NBN 830.jpg

• Like 5

Trigger pulled.

Full set of exterior LED lamps ordered, twenty four in total.

(I already had replaced the high level brake lights with Led's over the weekend)

The price is eyewatering - £400:00 all in with free postage, however they did agree to a 10% discount just coz I was cheeky, polite and asked nicely thereby saving me £40:00.

Goodness knows when I'll get time to fit them though,

Griff

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ssshhh, I’m currently sat in Auto windscreens waiting room with a coffee n paper. Been here since 0845. The lads are changing Trevors windscreen at last. Only been on with this episode since March

Griff

Hi Griff, lets hope they get it done soon, you do not want to delay your journey down to the Broads.

Regards

Alan 

17 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Griff, lets hope they get it done soon, you do not want to delay your journey down to the Broads.

Regards

Alan 

Air con gassed up on coffee no papers you lucky

• 4 weeks later...

That's now all the LED's fitted apart from the front pair of cornering lamps which I have had to send back for a different pair as they were reacting badly with the canbus system, once they arrive and assuming they work we are done in full.

Shiny farkling accessory - Fitted. Polished s/steel.  These are designed to fit exact - they do too only they are not made or marketed anywhere I can find to accommodate the reversing camera.  So, nowt for it but to get out one angle grinder with a fine cutting disc, then move onto the Dremel for final tiny adjustments and polishing.  Jobs a gudden and those Dremel tools are extremely versatile and handy, one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought.

I have also been varnishing the four plywood dressing panels fitted to the inside of the rear doors.  Varnishing them to a 'B.A' standard, sixth and final coat will go on tomorrow.

The really good news is that having just been on the Govuk Dvla website I see that the MOT has indeed been extended by six months from 22 July to 22 Jan next year, so thanks to you lot for the advice.  Unfortunately the road tax due 01st Aug has not been extended

Griff

BA NBN 854.jpg

• Like 1

Thats taken me back Griff, I once spent a working week staying at The Crown in Bawtry for a works course I was attending back in 2002, first one where I had to stay away and has to be said one of the best catered ones I have ever been on; the course itself was in an industrial unit somewhere but we piled into a minibus everyday to be taken for a pub lunch! Excellent!

On another note, have you ever seen the Police Camera Action type footage of someone hooning through Bawtry in a stolen car( i think it was stolen anyway), it passes right through where The Crown is. Thinking about it it could have been on Road Wars.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Why do we get so attached to our lumps of metal? Today finally saw the demise of the Honda. At 16 years old and 200k plus miles she has finally gone to Honda Heaven. It has been by far the best car I have ever owned. She has never let me down, never required more than routine servicing and consumables, just kept on going and going. Her MOT expired while we were away so I arranged for collection this morning. I have been saying for the last two or three years that if she failed the MOT she was going, but just kept passing, so this year I didn't bother. She still runs well but there are so many little jobs and TLC needed that it's just not worth it. 

So the family stood on the doorstep and waved her goodbye on the back of the scrap mans wagon. 

Now the search for our next sacrificial lamb begins. I really don't want to be running the Merc as a daily driver and dirty job wagon. 

I do like a Volvo but worry how much influence Ford had during their ownership - I know the previous two V40's were basically a Focus. 

Ford are decent compared to the shonky brands like Fiat, Renault/Nissan, VW etc, but they're not 'old Volvo' or Toyota / Honda levels of build quality.

How much Ford is in the bigger Volvos I'm not sure...

My lovely old Omega. Bought new in March 2003 and it served me well until 2013 when I bought the XC90. Son had it then until failed the MOT for it's 16th birthday. He asked my permission to let his neighbours have it for banger racing. The only one of my previous cars that I actually know where it ended it's life!

03Keswick Omega1.jpg

• Like 1

Lexus everytime, never new though.

First Lx400 cost 10,000, 40k milage, kept it for 18 years and sold it for 3,000.

RX300, cost 9,000, had 40k milage, sold it 6 years later for 3.5k. Only cost was an LPG conversion. (18mpg in town.) :default_sleep:

Present one is a LS430. 2006.70k milage. It cost me 6,000 two years ago.

All were and are immaculate, no rust and never had anything replaced.

Next car will be a Lexus.

• Like 1