Natural Lubrication

I’m sure some of you well travelled people have experience of natural lubricants and I’m hoping you can pass on some wisdom to someone who had a more sheltered upbringing: a friend of mine.

This friend’s boat is moored on a floating finger next to where the bridge from terra firma sits (the "bridge" which connects to the fixed jetty). There are two steel plates on the upper side of the finger and the underside of the bridge is wood. My friend was wondering if there is a good lubricant available to stop the finger making a noise during movement?

Smell is important: he doesn’t want it to smell like a pair of old lock gates (sorry for swearing on the forum), nor does he want to attract insects like the Hornets which seem to grow to the size of small dogs around Brundall.

Any suggestions will be passed on discreetly.

Thank you in anticipation.

• Haha 2

If JM or MM read this they'll have a field day :default_icon_e_surprised:

I have some Teflon liquid lubricant (don't ask) but I think its intended for bikes and the like and is supposed to be weather resistant. It has quite a benign smell. It only comes in small bottles, not sure how much would be needed, might be worth a thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

If JM or MM read this they'll have a field day :default_icon_e_surprised:

I have some Teflon liquid lubricant (don't ask) but I think its intended for bikes and the like and is supposed to be weather resistant. It has quite a benign smell. It only comes in small bottles, not sure how much would be needed, might be worth a thought.

Not me,  more likely Jayfire surely!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

You will need it in spray form to get it in the concealed areas of the hinge.

Not sure about that Mark, I think where the hinge is penetrated it stays quiet most of the time. The problem is caused when the finger rubs underneath the bridge. My friend says.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I would have thought a silicon spray would have been ideal  for your needs 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303081768094

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a quick look and it contains the magic words, "clean both surfaces" or something like. It's actually great stuff to have around though; it's excellent on plastics. 

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I have used white Lithium Grease for exterior lubrication of heavy gates etc.

I think thats the stuff to go for unless... my friend has to get some silicone grease for plumbing purposes and if he has to buy a decent quantity it may be worth him squibbing some of that on as a first try. More research says that hornets are attracted to sweet foods and not grease anyway. 

Not mentioned so far but he is actually concerned that the wrong stuff may instigate deterioration of the wood? My friend intends staying there long enough for it to matter!:default_icon_clap:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

he is actually concerned that the wrong stuff may instigate deterioration of the wood?

old engine oil is an excellent wood preservative, though it still comes off black on your hands 30 years later, I used some 6" square beams that had been preserved with engine oil, 30 years after they had been laid up, and they did a great job as decking supports, they were still good as new when I took the deck up 10 years later, and are still in my wood pile awaiting further re-use.

9 hours ago, grendel said:

old engine oil is an excellent wood preservative, though it still comes off black on your hands 30 years later, I used some 6" square beams that had been preserved with engine oil, 30 years after they had been laid up, and they did a great job as decking supports, they were still good as new when I took the deck up 10 years later, and are still in my wood pile awaiting further re-use.

Hmm, but do they smell of old lock gates? (aplogies for swearing on the forum).:default_icon_e_confused:

• 2 weeks later...