Roya

SteveO

I know that a number of members on here knew Roy Abrahams (Roya),   I heard just now from his wife Gill that he sadly passed away in hospital yesterday evening.  I don't know that he was active on the NBF but was a stalwart contributor to the NBF in its day and has more recently been involved with several Facebook-based sites focused on the Norfolk Broads.  From my point of view he was a  great character, an enthusiastic Broadsman and a friend and he will be missed. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Just now, YorkshireTripper said:

Any chance I can borrow the picture of Roy for my Facebook group

Please feel free and thanks for asking. To be fair I think I nabbed it from the internet somewhere but cannot remember where to give credit.

Back in the day, Roy used to sit at Table 22 in the Maltsters (just inside the door) and chat to everyone who came in. He drank Stella (but I wont hold that against him) :default_biggrin:

A larger than life character and a really genuinely nice guy. Sad loss.

• Like 1

Ah, he made that table famous. Sadly I don't go anywhere near Facebook but I'm sure he will be well remembered there.

Another from  the vaults (this time I can claim credit) with Sue and Hank, the latter sadly no longer with us.

Please feel free to share if appropriate.

P1020995.jpg

• Like 2

How sad. I never knew Roy and am only aware of him from the forums but the impression I got was that he was well liked and well thought of. Perhaps if even someone as unconnected as me can form such a positive opinion of him, well he really has left his mark on the world. Something everybody strives for.

• Like 2

I first came across Roy when I joined the NBF in 2005. When a forum meet was arranged for that summer he and Gill invited me to stay with them and looked after me really well that weekend. We became firm freinds and shared a week together on Lady of Freedom when Roy won the competition to name her as well as many day boat trips. We often met up, either at forum meets or whilst on holiday and took the caravan to Kings Lynn a number of times. We had many a good evening around Broadland as well as in his beloved club at Babingley.

Plans to repeat that expedition on Lady were curtailed due to Roy's failing health but we never visited Norfolk without stopping in to say hello.

A great character, often with strong opinions that he was not afraid to share which did not endear him to everyone, but a good bloke and another great character gone from us. 

We're heading back to Norfolk in a couple of weeks. I'll find somewhere appropriate and raise a glass of Stella to him. 

• Like 2

Sorry all it's another broadster I never knew.

However I sit raising my glass of Stella to his memory, and many more in the future that he rest in peace 

Oh sad news. We moored next to him in the Joshie, Table 22 days, and had many a laugh together. I remember the birth of the NBF Grass Monster, he fell over (after a few) and said the grass had ' just come up to meet him'. 

A real character as has been said. 

Sincere condolences to Gill and family. 

• Like 3

Although I never had the chance to meet him, I was often mistaken for him on various forums and chatroom's after we bought Royal Tudor. It made for some interesting discussions where I was often asked 'It's you isn't it?' when joining new groups. Thoughts and condolences are with his family. 

like paul I enjoyed his company and hospitality, stayed with him and gill at kings lynn a few times, they used to get some strongbow especially when i was due., luckily  i have a pic of each,

my sincere condolences to gill and family

DSCF0003.JPG

• Like 3

Ah... This is the nature of Broads forums sadly. The average age was never particularly low, and now those early days of NBF were fifteen years ago we have lost a fair few folk from those times.

Polly reminded me of the grass monster... I do remember Roy telling me the tale of that on Ranworth Island back in 2006 I guess it must have been.

Sad times. My thoughts are with Gill and his family.

• Like 1

There was a brief period when Roy frequented the Ship at South Walsham. That was when Kim and Giles were in charge. Lovely couple and when the pub had a garden! I can't quite remember if the Maltsters was closed or if Roy didn't quite see eye to eye with the Maltsters management at the time. I seem to recall the Ship didn't sell Stella so he had to drink Kronenbourg. He always referred to my real ale as gravy. A true legend. 

• Like 1

Vey sad news and our condolences go to Gill and the family. First came across him at The NBN/NBO meet at the Dog at Ludham Bridge where he organised the Welly Wanging contest which was hilarious-RIP big guy

Boycee

• Like 3

So sorry to hear about Roy (Roya). He was one of the great characters from the early days of the NBF Forum and without whom it was never quite the same.

Roy brought with him a huge level of over enthusiasm for everything he did. He was a larger than life character in every sense. I still use the mop I won in a Christmas competiton he devised where you had to write a story about a lonely mop. This was typical of him, so keen to try something daft and new. I remember his cheery voice from table 22 and the Dwile Flonking at The Dog.

Roy was also a person of somewhat extreme political views and this coupled with his genial level of wild enthusiasm had a habit of eventually getting him banned from most social media groups he joined. Facebook gave him a new outlet and it was fun engaging with him again in a bit of friendly banter. We never agreed on just about anything, except a love for The Broads, but that was part of the fun of Roya.

Sorry he has gone and my best wishes to Gill.

Nigel
Ludham

• Like 7

RIP Roy and deep condolences to Jill and the family 

I can remember bumping into him in the Ferry Horning - had us in stitches all night .the mold was broke after they made Roy - far and few between 

a very sad day 

finny

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone would like to attend Roy's send-off, the funeral details are as follows:

Date/time:  29th July at 10.45 

Venue: Mintlynn Crematorium, Lynn Road, Bawsey, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE32 1HB 

The family has requested no flowers, but donations to a local charity if wanted.

• Thanks 3