Nice Poster

Vaughan

FB_IMG_1558112139386.thumb.jpg.0cb71f8a1d8c2fd995a5b2eefb3a208e.jpg

Here is a scan sent to me by a railway modelling colleague. Apparently the original has just sold at auction for £4800 plus VAT and commission.

There is, as usual, a great deal of artistic licence by the painter of this general Broads view. One could for instance, ask why the wherry is on the run down the river (at great risk of a gybe) but the yacht behind is tacking?

What intrigues me is the yacht in the foreground, which looks very much like one of Trueman's Extasys or Argosys and appears to be Bermudan rigged.  But if the poster is of the G.E.R., it would have to have been before 1923, when that railway was merged into the L.N.E.R.  So I wonder what yacht the artist had in mind, when it was painted?

Any ideas?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The ladies accentuated bustle does seem to be attracting some attention from the yacht skipper!

Re that sailing boat, also similar to one of Darby's Lucky yachts but once again the date doesn't, I don't think, tally.

Perhaps the lady's self inflating lifejacket has just inflated? Buffs on the foredeck?

That tacking yacht, they tacked there the previous year so are doing so this time too! Joke posthumous courtesy of Michael Green RIP, author The Art of Coarse Sailing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

That tacking yacht, they tacked there the previous year so are doing so this time too! Joke posthumous courtesy of Michael Green RIP, author The Art of Coarse Sailing.

Which is actually based on a true story. It happened to Jack Hunt, the river inspector, when trying to help a yacht which was trying to tack through Reedham with the wind behind it!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Which is actually based on a true story. It happened to Jack Hunt, the river inspector, when trying to help a yacht which was trying to tack through Reedham with the wind behind it!

Lots of truth in that book! The incident concerning the policeman and the hose pipe at Beccles concerned my dear father and Charlie Day. the Lowestoft garage owner.

Jack Hunt, I remember him well, we drove his launch from Coldham to Surlingham with Jack sleeping it off in the cabin, he'd been on the gin courtesy of Ivan Darby from the Commodore at Oulton Broad. Don't suppose Rangers drink gin, at least not when on duty. Different relationship back then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a bit of conjecture, on an otherwise quiet morning but I thought I had seen that wherry before somewhere!

Wherry.thumb.jpeg.f0f680fd9d6526a3936c7d4b73deea0d.jpeg

It is the frontispiece in the book Wherries and Waterways by Robert Malster and is also featured on the dust cover. It is a well known picture of Stokesby which I have seen framed on the walls of several Broads houses. So did the artist have this picture in mind when he painted the poster? He has got the main halyard rigged wrong but most of them did that!

Which brings me to the yacht in the foreground. . . . .

The famous Broads watercolour artists, Rackham and Batchelder, were known to be good friends, who both owned small cabin yachts and often cruised together when painting. It is well known that they often included each other's yachts in their own pictures. This boat in the poster looks to me similar, to Batchelder's yacht as painted by Rackham.

If this conjecture were true, then the artist may have been able to paint this pleasant poster of the Broads without ever leaving his studio in London!

The first thing I noticed was the inappropriate shoes with heels.   Cannot imagine she would be welcome on boat bustle or no bustle.      The swans , dog and the lady seem to be looking down the river at something while the guy in the rowing boat seems to have his eye on the lady in the red hat, scarf , or whatever.    :default_hiding:

*It is not "The Broads" related but I love this poster. Even now twhen you can travel non-stop to Perth....... Australia is not "So Near".

Screenshot_20190813-151608.thumb.jpg.966cd0e133f7e7b82d5c740335478dab.jpg

This one is of The Broads. It is over a rather beautiful "Arts and Crafts" fireplace. Unfortunately try as I may I could not eliminate window reflection.

20190817_154206.thumb.jpg.7b1ff5bf9893a776a46259229f945a94.jpg

Screenshot_20190827-132908.thumb.png.d5ae772654c076227e498b231a8694c4.png

It is one of the best Broads posters I have seen, given my interests

• Like 2

The original poster is by the illustrator J A May who was employed by the National Savings Committee. There's not a lot of information about J A May and only two surviving works I could find, the one above and a National Savings poster carrying the slogan 'Salute The Soldier, Save More, Lend More'.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Photoshop, 1920's style.

Photoshop and its partner program Illustrator are based around early illustration techniques. Careful now, I'm going to show my 'etchings'!  'Stock' drawings are very much a tool in the illustrator's copy drawer. In the image above, elements such as the boats, animals, windmills will be found across many different paintings by many different artists. As an illustrator you don't have the time to sit and sketch everything from the beginning, so you have pattern books containing tracings of the various elements.

Those elements will be moved around within the image, the purpose of which is to draw attention to and give context to the text. Accuracy tends to go out of the window as the illustrator will start to flip elements within the image to draw lines of sight to the text.

So from my 'etchings'...
First off is a book cover illustration for a sword and sorcery type novel. Historical accuracy is in the bin, the sword is pointing towards what will be an illuminated capital letter in the book title. All the troops, arrows, even sections of grass are all from my collection of patterns.
file_1687906.jpg

Next is an illustration used as part of a set for a computer game. Cloth is an absolute pain to paint, even digitally, so I spent several days just painting sections of cloth and folds in cloth and these get reused in various paintings.
file_1874061.jpg

Finally a finished book cover. Illustrators cheat like hell. First I painted a water colour of a power station, this get's scanned into the computer where explosions etc are painted digitally and sections of the image are replicated over the cover, sometimes even the merest hint, all to draw the eye to information the image contains. You will also spot another trick I used in the strap line where it says 'International Intrigue and Brutal Murder'. This was a first novel from a new author. 'International Intrigue' tricks the eye and the brain into substituting 'International Best Seller'! 
06dc9113d3c5bb9318c52816eeaf749e_large.jpg

On 10/08/2019 at 12:34, JennyMorgan said:

The ladies accentuated bustle does seem to be attracting some attention from the yacht skipper!

I knew they were odd in Oulton...erm...the bustle is the bit at the back JM! :default_norty:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

*It is not "The Broads" related but I love this poster. Even now twhen you can travel non-stop to Perth....... Australia is not "So Near".

This one is of The Broads. It is over a rather beautiful "Arts and Crafts" fireplace. Unfortunately try as I may I could not eliminate window reflection.

Non-reflective glass required?

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 13:34, JennyMorgan said:

Joke posthumous courtesy of Michael Green RIP, author The Art of Coarse Sailing.

Read that book many times from cover to cover (along with the whole set of ARs).

6 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I've seen a few fire places in my time, old and new, but that one makes me want to reach for the bucket!

16 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

I've seen a few fire places in my time, old and new, but that one makes me want to reach for the bucket!

As long as the Boardman family liked it. I am not too keen on the Arts and crafts and Morris greens. Around that era my choice is Art Noveau. Galle, Lalique etc,. But I like it and it is in wonderful condition given thd house usage.

• Like 1