Electric Posts & Cards

Siddy

Never used one but Enterprise has a hookup lead on board and in May I was moored at the park in Stokesby and the other boat said there's money on that point, But my lead was 2 foot short and I wasn't going to spin the boat round with the wind and rain.

So how much are the cards and will I be able to pick them up at Ricko? Or where can I collect them I'm down next Saturday to Stalham via Potters (maggots collection)

It would save running the engine for hot water and the microwave in the morning. 

It maybe a none starter leaving it on overnight if the battery charger affects the dog, Once the invertor & microwave goes on he shakes like the term (dog pooing snow balls (kept that cleanish)) I have to take him away from the boat and he tells me when it stops and heads back to the boat.

Charging points and card outlets

Places with charging points are shown in bold on the left, followed by card outlets within the same town or village, or the nearest card outlets.

Dilham / Sutton Staithe Boatyard; Simpson's Boatyard, Stalham

Sutton / Sutton Staithe Boatyard; Simpson's Boatyard, Stalham

Neatishead / White House Stores

Irstead / Toad Hole Cottage, How Hill (during summer season); Sutton Staithe Boatyard; Simpson's Boatyard, Stalham

Potter Heigham / Herbert Woods; Ferry Marina, Horning; Tidings Newsagents, Horning

Coltishall / Mace Post Office

Hoveton / Broads Information Centre (during summer season); Norfolk Marine Chandlers 

Horning / Ferry Marina; Tidings Newsagents

Ranworth / Granary Stores & Tea Shop

Stokesby / Dunes River Cafe, Acle Bridge

Great Yarmouth / Yacht Station (during summer season)

Norwich / Yacht Station (during summer season); Broads Authority, Yare House

Whitlingham / Visitor Centre

Bramerton / Broom Boats, Brundall; Norfolk Yacht Agency, Brundall

Rockland / New Inn; Post Office 

Hardley / Hardley Windmill Trust (during summer season); New Inn, Rockland

Reedham / Yacht Station (during summer season)

Loddon / Bridge Stores

St Olaves / Goodchild Marine, Burgh Castle

Somerleyton / Goodchild Marine, Burgh Castle

Charging points from other providers are available.

• Like 2

Best advice is to plug in wherever and whenever you can. 

As you say, it saves running the engine on the mooring and of course a good overnight charge also means that if you've only done 2 hours cruising that day then you're not going to kill the batteries. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Charging points from other providers are available.

There are electric posts at both Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations, that differ from most others in that you pay for your electric as part of the enhanced mooring fee.  We found this very useful in February as we had taken a small fan heater which we left on low overnight and kept the chill off.

The Ferry House at Surlingham have their own electric posts - cards are available from the bar, with a refundable deposit against the card once used.  They also have a water hose, which is free to their customers, even during the winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2019 at 17:52, Mouldy said:

There are electric posts at both Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations, that differ from most others in that you pay for your electric as part of the enhanced mooring fee.  We found this very useful in February as we had taken a small fan heater which we left on low overnight and kept the chill off.

The Ferry House at Surlingham have their own electric posts - cards are available from the bar, with a refundable deposit against the card once used.  They also have a water hose, which is free to their customers, even during the winter.

Hi Mouldy,

Once you have returned the card if memory serves me correctly you basically pay just £3 and nothing at all for the mooring, assuming you can find space to get in, watch out for the current here we sometimes have to put a central warp to try and keep us straight when stern moored. 

Regards

Alan

10 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Mouldy,

Once you have returned the card if memory serves me correctly you basically pay just £3 and nothing at all for the mooring, assuming you can find space to get in, watch out for the current here we sometimes have to put a central warp to try and keep us straight when stern moored. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

That's right.  I think the last time I bought a card it was £8, with £5 returned for the card once used.  No mooring fee (unlike most other pubs on the rivers, refundable or not) and no charge for water either.  You can book moorings, too as well as a table.

Little wonder it is so busy!

Malcolm

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 00:08, CambridgeCabby said:

The cards are £1 each and sold all over the Broads (including Richardson’s I believe)

Update - Richardsons don't sell the cards when I asked last week.

But I picked some up at Herberts, and when I returned to the boat Kaz said she'd bought some of those in May from the Ice Cream shop (Ransworth (dont ask)) I live with it. So then where are they? She'll have them safe somewhere but I know this lot are in the boating wallet we take with map/tides etc.

We never got to use a electric post anyway this time.

• 2 months later...

Really having an electrical nightmare this week.

Arrived at Brooms on Saturday and thought I would pop to the office to buy some cards for the week and the office was shut.

Not to worry though as we intended to go to the New Inn at Rockland St Mary and they stock them...

Errrrrr... nope!

Response was that they had sold out, as someone came in and bought the last of their stock..

But, not to matter as the post office is only a 15 minutes walk and they stock them....

Wrong again....sold out and a re-order had not arrived yet!

Never mind, I am sure there are spares in the skippers manual on board.

Get to the envelope which states 9 electric card's (please replace), but the 9 had been crossed out and it was written over with 3 electric card's.

I opened the envelope and there was one (1) card..

I had to use it, but I will replace it...I promise!

Next day we made our way down the Chet to Loddon Staithe and the first job was to visit Bridge Stores and stock up on electric card's....

Wrong again....sold out!

They have ordered more, but they haven't arrived yet, and a guy came in and bought all their stock!

(There is a theme here!)

But not to be deterred as Bridge Stores staff said we should try Rosie Lee's Tea Shop, next door

"Excuse me, do you have any of the BA Electric Card's please?"

"Yes, I have 2 left" was the reply!

She then went on to say that she also was waiting for an order as a gentleman came in and asked if he could buy her stock of cards, but she refused to sell them all, keeping 2 back for another customer

Thankfully I was that customer

She did say, that the BA were really slow at re-stocking and she didn't understand why, but she would ring them again to chase up

Personally I think the electric posts should be able to accept contactless payments from debit cards or Apple or Google pay direct from your phone as the card system appears to be flawed if my experience is anything to go by

We are now at the Ferry House and a table is booked for the evening and we are hooked up to their own electric posts, which thankfully the Ferry House provides the cards for!

It's a bit windy and wet today, but we have not got far to walk...DSC_0192.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Tempest said:

. . . . . . . . . We are now at the Ferry House and a table is booked for the evening and we are hooked up to their own electric posts, which thankfully the Ferry House provides the cards for!

It's a bit windy and wet today, but we have not got far to walk...

Excellent choice.  Good beer, warm welcome, great food and atmosphere.  Not sure how long you're  staying, but if you venture to Oulton Broad and moor at the Yacht Station, the electric is included in the mooring fee (if you pay the correct rate) so no cards required.  Beccles have new electric posts and the cards can only be purchased from the Harbourmasters office, which closes at 13:00 during the winter.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I have no idea how to get the picture upright!

emoji24.png

I thought you'd just fallen over as you took the photo, not that I've ever done that myself :default_smiley-angelic002:

Sorry about the electric cards, they should have been replaced by whoever used them but I am assuming they experienced the same unavailability you have been finding and forgot to pass it on.

Thanks Malcolm

I think we will be returning to base tomorrow, with this being our first trip on MS, so going to get to know the Brundall area and possibly venture out by car

Excellent choice.  Good beer, warm welcome, great food and atmosphere.  Not sure how long you're  staying, but if you venture to Oulton Broad and moor at the Yacht Station, the electric is included in the mooring fee (if you pay the correct rate) so no cards required.  Beccles have new electric posts and the cards can only be purchased from the Harbourmasters office, which closes at 13:00 during the winter.
Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jason,

It's not an issue..

It's been like a Easter Egg Hunt...but with Electric Card's as the prize!

I thought you'd just fallen over as you took the photo, not that I've ever done that myself :default_smiley-angelic002:
Sorry about the electric cards, they should have been replaced by whoever used them but I am assuming they experienced the same unavailability you have been finding and forgot to pass it on.

• Haha 1