Electric Posts & Cards

Siddy

I will ensure I pre-order mine in future, as I never realised how hard they are to come by on the broads in winter

Most posts I checked appear to have a full recycle card deposit, so even they haven't been emptied, which suggests that the broads isn't really geared up for winter boaters, unless they are self sufficient

It's all a big learning curve for us as we have gone from hirers in the summer months to shareholders out on the broads outside the main season

Still loving it though!

Hi Grendel,
I have a small stock of cards in my boat kit, I top this up usually by contacting the Broads Authority and asking them to send me Β£20 worth.
We also have a few in the boats log for emergency use by owners.
RegardsΒ 
Alan

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, grendel said:

would it be good policy to have some of each type of card in the card envelope maybe (or am I being too sensible there)

There hasn't ever been a problem before now G to be honest, but I am on board next week and shall have a look into it.

I always carry a supply of my own cards to be safe, the one's ont he boat are for emergency running out'y ness:default_xmas2:

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Really having an electrical nightmare this week.

Arrived at Brooms on Saturday and thought I would pop to the office to buy some cards for the week and the office was shut.

Not to worry though as we intended to go to the New Inn at Rockland St Mary and they stock them...

Errrrrr... nope!

Response was that they had sold out, as someone came in and bought the last of their stock..

But, not to matter as the post office is only a 15 minutes walk and they stock them....

Wrong again....sold out and a re-order had not arrived yet!

Never mind, I am sure there are spares in the skippers manual on board.

Get to the envelope which states 9 electric card's (please replace), but the 9 had been crossed out and it was written over with 3 electric card's.

I opened the envelope and there was one (1) card..

I had to use it, but I will replace it...I promise!

Next day we made our way down the Chet to Loddon Staithe and the first job was to visit Bridge Stores and stock up on electric card's....

Wrong again....sold out!

They have ordered more, but they haven't arrived yet, and a guy came in and bought all their stock!

(There is a theme here!)

But not to be deterred as Bridge Stores staff said we should try Rosie Lee's Tea Shop, next door

"Excuse me, do you have any of the BA Electric Card's please?"

"Yes, I have 2 left" was the reply!

She then went on to say that she also was waiting for an order as a gentleman came in and asked if he could buy her stock of cards, but she refused to sell them all, keeping 2 back for another customer

Thankfully I was that customer

She did say, that the BA were really slow at re-stocking and she didn't understand why, but she would ring them again to chase up

Personally I think the electric posts should be able to accept contactless payments from debit cards or Apple or Google pay direct from your phone as the card system appears to be flawed if my experience is anything to go by

We are now at the Ferry House and a table is booked for the evening and we are hooked up to their own electric posts, which thankfully the Ferry House provides the cards for!

It's a bit windy and wet today, but we have not got far to walk...DSC_0192.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
Β 

Don't forget that the river rangers also Carry a supply of cards .

Both the new inn and brooms have run out in the past in my experience but generally it's fine .

The BA on their web site Carry's a full list of outlets that do cards as far as I'm aware .

• Like 1

We bought 20 when we joined the Moonlight ShadowΒ  syndicate and kept our supply topped up as we used them.Β  We now keep some on Norfolk Lady and will do the same again.

I got some from Broom a couple of weeks ago to rebuild our supplies, but now I know that they can be bought direct from the BA, shall probably go down that route moving forward.Β 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Grendel,

I have a small stock of cards in my boat kit, I top this up usually by contacting the Broads Authority and asking them to send me Β£20 worth.

We also have a few in the boats log for emergency use by owners.

RegardsΒ 

Alan

I have never yet needed an electric point, martham boats never have electric hookup and they do have pretty good batteries as almost the only electric item is the fridge lights and shower pump

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

You can phone up Yare house and purchase them over the phone with your card and they will send them to youΒ 

Yes at cost to BA , I wonder who they pass that cost on to? , I'm fairly sure that the person requesting the cards doesn't pay it although I might be wrong .

If out on the river it's perfectly possible to pick them up at no cost ,Β  I know of few people that have problems .

Obviously shortages happen but it's pretty rare , clearly it's best to be prepared and have a stock to fall back on .

The reliance on electric posts isn't the answer , it's not long ago since the entire system was upgraded and the weren't available for a lengthy period of time , and it's the same in winter when higher than normal tides take the posts out .

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D46 said:

The reliance on electric posts isn't the answer , it's not long ago since the entire system was upgraded and the weren't available for a lengthy period of time , and it's the same in winter when higher than normal tides take the posts out .

Β 

Indeed I believe that at Reedham they are turned off rather than have them tripped out thus requiring resetting. Mind you that was pre the upgrade. Relying on the posts at anytime is unwise, in my opinion. Best regarded as a bonus. Suitable clothing is the answer, says me sat here in a sheepskin jacket and fingerless mitts!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Indeed I believe that at Reedham they are turned off rather than have them tripped out thus requiring resetting. Mind you that was pre the upgrade. Relying on the posts at anytime is unwise, in my opinion. Best regarded as a bonus. Suitable clothing is the answer, says me sat here in a sheepskin jacket and fingerless mitts!!

Turn the bl**dy heating on then :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just bought 20 from Brooms main reception and they had loads...

So Mrs B can stop moaning now..

Errr.. I mean, can relax now!

πŸ˜‰

Had a great meal at the Ferry House last night and you are right, in that you pay Β£8 for the card behind the bar, but get Β£5 back when you return the used card, so in essence it costs you Β£3 for electric, free mooring, free water, great spot and a first class pub with brilliant dog friendly staff and great food..

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Β .Β  . . . . . . Had a great meal at the Ferry House last night and you are right, in that you pay Β£8 for the card behind the bar, but get Β£5 back when you return the used card, so in essence it costs you Β£3 for electric, free mooring, free water, great spot and a first class pub with brilliant dog friendly staff and great food..

Glad you enjoyed The Ferry House.Β  Imho, the best pub on the Southern rivers.Β  I'm feeling hungry now, just thinking about their food.Β  Might have to call in again when we are up next.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 16:29, NorfolkNog said:

Ditto - never plugged in in my life. Mind you very few hire boats have shore power anyway. It is actually quite mild at the moment, winds seem to be more westerly.

Been asking around and from a recent survey 67% of hire boats (& rising) are fitted with shore power facilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Been asking around and from a recent survey 67% of hire boats (& rising) are fitted with shore power facilities.

That seems very high given the overall average age of the Broads hireΒ fleet. Some older boats have been retrofitted but a lot haven't.

Where has that data come from?

67% + of hire boats have shore power?

That is indeed a very large number. If you look at the overall hire fleet of 750 or so boats. Richardson have 290 boats of which say 90 have shore power being the platinum and some of the classic boats. Herbert Woods have 121 boats,Β  cc 30 have shore power (Elite and and standard boats) so thats 290 straight away without it or 39%. Interesting to hear where that figure comes from. Certainly atleast 2/3 have invertors/ 240v I am sure. My calcs could be wrong though!

Β 

23 hours ago, oldgregg said:

That seems very high given the overall average age of the Broads hireΒ fleet. Some older boats have been retrofitted but a lot haven't.

Where has that data come from?

it was from a reliable source though without permissionΒ I am not in a position to name them.That said when I asked the question having seen the number being queried in here I was given an instant response & they are aware I was going to put the result in here.