Hello... Newbie Here!

Travelman

Hi all, my family and I love the Broads, and we are planning our sixth trip there this October half term. Having done it at different times of year, this has always been my favourite time as it isn't as busy as during the summer hols and the sunsets are often spectacular. With school aged kids, we are tied to the holidays. 

Our previous hire boats over the last 15 years or so have included two from Richardsons, two from Barnes and one from Herbert Woods (not in that order). This time it's between Silverline Marine and Ferry Marina, but I haven't made my mind up yet. I was keen on trying to get to Hickling Broad as we've never been to that part of the Broads, but from what I've read on here it looks unlikely anything much bigger than a canoe will get through Potter Heigham bridge these days! I don't want to compromise on boat size to then find we can't get there anyway, so we might have to give it a miss again. 

Anyway, back to the original point of this post: Hello! 

Neil

• Like 5

Welcome Neil!

We're out with Ferry Marina next week and love hiring from them. Haven't ever been with Silverline, although we're very much hoping to hire on the south again one year.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do and how you get on. :default_icon_wave:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Travelman said:

. . . .. .. It's just that the idea of paying for a cruiser (which is moored up for the day) and paying for a day boat at the same time bothers me a bit!

. . . . . . But it’s worth it!  Hire a day boat for five or six hours, moor at Horsey wind pump and walk through Horsey Gap to the beach to see the seal colony.  When the weather is fine, it’s a terrific day!

I’ve never hired from Silverline, but they have one of the best fleets on the Broads.  They are always immaculately presented and look as good at the end of the season as the beginning.

Welcome to the Forum by the way!

5A371D8E-1F6D-450A-9B41-6F159C24CA14.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Travelman said:

Thanks Ray. I am seriously considering that, as I'd love to see that area. It's just that the idea of paying for a cruiser (which is moored up for the day) and paying for a day boat at the same time bothers me a bit!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Why not try a real classic from Marthams, they nearly ALWAYS go under the Thurne blockage, plus being upriver from it, you have a couple of days cruising the upper Thurne network. 

If you want a good reference re Marthams, ask Grendel, he regularly hires from them, and really rates them.

• Like 2

Why not try a real classic from Marthams, they nearly ALWAYS go under the Thurne blockage, plus being upriver from it, you have a couple of days cruising the upper Thurne network. 
If you want a good reference re Marthams, ask Grendel, he regularly hires from them, and really rates them.
Those Martham boats do look lovely. Having said that I don't think they have much availability at this stage judging by the website. I might give them a call tomorrow. I'd have to convince my teenager to sacrifice the mod-cons he got used to on our last visit, on a Brinks Quartet. I think the opportunity to see the seals will make up for that though. I wouldn't want to be confined to the Upper Thurne for a whole week though, so I'd be counting on getting through PH.

Welcome to the forum Travelman. Martham get all hands to the pump as it were to get their boats through the bridge. When I was at Potter one Saturday very recently, boats were being brought through  by the staff with many bodies (not literally!) on board. They seem to have it down to a fine art. Might be a good idea to pick up the phone and chat the possibilities through with the boatyard? 
Hope you manage to sort something out and enjoy you trip. 

• Like 2

I've booked Jade Emblem from Ferry Marina. They're doing 25% off so it was a great deal! I'm not normally a fan of forward drive boats, but the chance to get under low bridges makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

I know water levels are very high at the moment, but hopefully the weather will brighten up and levels will subside, giving us a chance to get through PH. I've spoken to the pilots there and they tell me the boat would get through under 'normal' conditions but not at present. Worst case, I'll spend part of my 25% saving on a day boat (rather than all of it on beer) as I really want to see that part of the Broads. I should also be able to get under Wroxham Bridge, something I haven't done for about 16 years. Now I just have to decide if we want to go south. Tide times make it a bit tricky that week, but (again, thanks to the low air draft) we have a bit of flexibility so I might do the crossing south on Sunday 27th afternoon and back first thing on Wednesday, and then attempt PH. Decisions, decisions! Excited now...

• Like 1