Nbn Southern Meet.

SPEEDTRIPLE

A few of us with boats met up last season at Oulton Broad because John (hockham admiral) was staying at the Wherry Hotel for a week. 

It was not an organised meet it was a group of friends informally meeting for a few drinks and a meal and had nothing to do with forum.

Many crews meet up over the weekends or during their holidays on the Broads or in the case of syndicates during their allocations when time is available. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Are we saying that one can no longer arrange to meet up on a public mooring and spend the evening having a chat with fellow boaters

Evening Vaughan. No, that would mean I would miss out on our chinwags and that rather excellent wine you have on board! :default_norty:NorfolkNog has the hit the nail squarely on the head.

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

If Fireman Sam meets up with MM for a pint or 7 that's fine. If I announced on the Forum that I'm moored at the Ferry and does anyone fancy a beer, that's OK I suspect. If I say on the Forum that I'm organising a meet at the Ferry that could be different. 

There's a whole world of paperwork between 'we are meeting up for a pint and incidentally we are members of the NBN' and 'we are members of the NBN and are organising to meet up for a pint'. By the way, anyone up for a pint in the next couple of weeks? I've not had one since before Christmas. Just one more operation to go on Friday...send me a pm or I will post in the out and about thread my whereabouts when I get to Norfolk.

I'm not all that keen on paperwork, and can do without it but if it has to be done, then it's going to be done correctly.

32 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

For one raft up in the North Bay at Oulton Broad and the local ferry service will run you ashore for a barby. Alternatively a trip onto Lake Lothing, a very nice marina and restaurant  available. So many ideas!

Some good ideas for some official meets on the Southern Broads there JM. All we need now is for some lovely volunteers to step up and help organise them for next year! :default_biggrin:

• Like 5

Just now, Timbo said:

Some good ideas for some official meets on the Southern Broads there JM. All we need now is for some lovely volunteers to step up and help organise them for next year! :default_biggrin:

Are we allowed to organise such things? :default_dry: Impromptu is the way forward! 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Evening Vaughan. No, that would mean I would miss out on our chinwags and that rather excellent wine you have on board! :default_norty:NorfolkNog has the hit the nail squarely on the head.

There's a whole world of paperwork between 'we are meeting up for a pint and incidentally we are members of the NBN' and 'we are members of the NBN and are organising to meet up for a pint'. By the way, anyone up for a pint in the next couple of weeks? I've not had one since before Christmas. Just one more operation to go on Friday...send me a pm or I will post in the out and about thread my whereabouts when I get to Norfolk.

I'm not all that keen on paperwork, and can do without it but if it has to be done, then it's going to be done correctly.

Why the need for volunteers surely that's exactly what the events and promotion team is about ? 

7 minutes ago, D46 said:

Why the need for volunteers surely that's exactly what the events and promotion team is about ? 

They are volunteers, they do all this on top of their real world responsibilities.. Just for us, the members.

I never heard of too many volunteers so if you want an organised official Southern meet then volunteer to help arrange it. If you want an informal meet with forum friends old and new just tell them where you'll be and when. The one thing not to do is keep beating the team over the head about the rules they have to follow, are a lot of work, but they do anyway for the good of all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

A few of us with boats met up last season at Oulton Broad because John (hockham admiral) was staying at the Wherry Hotel for a week. 

It was not an organised meet it was a group of friends informally meeting for a few drinks and a meal and had nothing to do with forum.

Many crews meet up over the weekends or during their holidays on the Broads or in the case of syndicates during their allocations when time is available. 

Regards

Alan

Get that, Alan, but if you don’t know other members and don’t have their contact details, pm’ing using the Forum would have been a means to communicate, however as using the facilities of the website or Faceache page is not permitted, how does one arrange an ‘informal’ meeting.

• Like 1

Hello D46, 

Sorry I do not know your name.

You are a relative new member on the forum but from a personal standpoint I find many of your replies somewhat confrontational.

We on the forum all have different views on topics and debate is allowed and at times encouraged to allow the forum from not being static. That said the Team do monitor all the topics so that nobody is bullied, intimidated or made to feel small for the benefit of all.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Get that, Alan, but if you don’t know other members and don’t have their contact details, pm’ing using the Forum would have been a means to communicate, however as using the facilities of the website or Faceache page is not permitted, how does one arrange an ‘informal’ meeting.

Hello Mouldy,

From a personal point of view I can see no reason why you can not mention that you are going to be here or there and does anyone want to meet up for a informal none approved meeting of like minded people, you can PM members on the forum or contact or become friends on Messenger or use Whatshap. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray said:

They are volunteers, they do all this on top of their real world responsibilities.. Just for us, the members.

I never heard of too many volunteers so if you want an organised official Southern meet then volunteer to help arrange it. If you want an informal meet with forum friends old and new just tell them where you'll be and when. The one thing not to do is keep beating the team over the head about the rules they have to follow, are a lot of work, but they do anyway for the good of all.

Totally agree Ray. Without the team who are volunteers, there wouldn’t be a forum. Im sure a lot of work goes on behind the scenes that most of us have no idea about and this will be on top of them having full time jobs and other commitments.  Its a valued resource for me for info, support and advice and thank you to the team for what you do to keep the place running.  

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

Look ray exactly how do you contact people you don't know without knowing their email ( and in that case you likey know them ) without using the forum , according to timbos post all froms of communication on the website , fb or forum regarding organization of meets is not allowed , all I have done is ask where that rule is in the list of general rules .

After today it's highly unlikely I'll ever put myself forward as a volunteer , in 2018 there was approx 7 weeks from the organiser not being available to the meeting date , however that wasn't helped by a potential new organizer on the events team stating they couldn't attend the meet on exactly the same day .

No one is beating anyone over the head I'm asking for clarification that's all any that clarification could best start with the events team knowing the rules as yesterday it was perfectly ok to organize and unofficial meet and no mention at all on not being allowed to use a level of communication on the forum in any form whatsoever .

That lead me to after it was surgested to consider creating a new thread , little did I know or get told this was against the forum rules .

The answer to D46 is yes she does and if anybody sees my boat either at Surlingham Ferry or anywhere else knock the door and you are welcome to come onboard.Anybody can arrange to meet anyone, anywhere at any time as long as it it not an officially organised  NBN meet wether you are an NBN member or not, which I and my friends some of whom are NBN members,will continue to do

Boycee

AKA Alan

:default_party0010:

• Like 8

I have on numerous occasions said in open forum about where we will be, and on what boat, and invited other members to come and say hello. We were also one of the group that met up with Alan and Co at Oulton Broad, a get together mentioned and commented in open forum, and none of the mods had to reprimand any of us for breaking the tos rules. I would imagine it would only break the rules if you bill it as an official meet, or linked it to the NBN in public. Could any of the mods verify that, or correct me on it please,?. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Lulu said:

. . . . . . .  Without the team who are volunteers, there wouldn’t be a forum. Im sure a lot of work goes on behind the scenes that most of us have no idea about and this will be on top of them having full time jobs and other commitments.  Its a valued resource for me for info, support and advice and thank you to the team for what you do to keep the place running.  

Get that, too and to be honest, I didn’t realise the amount of prep (and faff) required to organise a meet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

Get that, too and to be honest, I didn’t realise the amount of prep (and faff) required to organise a meet.

Yeah, it surprised me too. I thought we just turned up, put up the tents etc and got drunk. We'll, not me, I would end up looking like a tea bag 😂

10 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Sadly in these days of litigation a lot of things have to be put in place beforehand, insurance, risk assessments etc to protect us members and the forum as a whole. It may seem petty at times but thats just how things are nowadays.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Talk about mountains and molehills.

I am not in the habit of that, and would not have commented if I had not felt that this has rather deeper implications for the whole way we use this forum.

A couple of days ago I advised, in reply to a member's question, that a bow thruster must always be connected to the starter battery, and not the domestic batteries. Are we now going to say that I am liable for that, because I said it on the forum and not in a PM? And that the forum is therefore also liable for my opinion?

You may say that's not the same thing, but I think it is. I cannot see how an Internet forum can be held responsible for the behaviour of some of its contributors just because they have got together to moor their boats for the night on the public moorings on Salhouse Broad. Those members  may well be responsible to the owner of the moorings, if they do damage and to the police, if they commit a public order offence - but to the forum??

I very much hope we are not going to descend into the new age of "wokeness", or I for one, will have to think more carefully about what debates I enter into in future.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Sadly in these days of litigation a lot of things have to be put in place beforehand, insurance, risk assessments etc to protect us members and the forum as a whole. It may seem petty at times but thats just how things are nowadays.  

Question , was there a risk assessment etc in place when s group of NBN members met as organized on the forum while working on Royal Tudor ? 

Senior members of the team organised that and should have known all the rules and paperwork would need to be in place as that was clearly an organised NBN meet for the purpose of work rather than relaxation , to my memory it was never listed as a offical event but was deffinatly organized on the forum .

While that might seam confrontational it's not ment to be but it's exactly the same as a group of members organising to meet for a drink / meal etc , which is now disallowed as it's against the rules , I don't remember a rule change o can find no details of such hence my question ? 

Please don't be put off giving your valuable and knowledgeable opinion Vaughan.

I can see the point you are making. I think it's more a case of someone could, and I say could, sue the Forum if they for example injured themselves. If someone tripped over a guy rope holding up the Forum tent for example, given an over zealous ambulance chaser, sorry solicitor, they might be encouraged to sue the Forum for negligence as they arranged the meet and put up, and presumably supervised, the tent.

I think Timbo expressed it very clearly but in doing so has maybe set hares running un-intentionally. I think a lot of this is very 'what if' but sadly necessary.

Mrs Nog broke her ankle a few years ago while on holiday. She could probably have sued all and sundry but didn't. She made a full recovery and her ankle is stronger than it was. But some could have made a fuss about it and I think it's that minority who could potentially pose a threat which is why the Forum are being understandably cautious.

Please folks, don't blow this out of proportion - I'm sure the wine and beer (and tea Neil) will continue to flow :default_beerchug:

• Like 9

Thanks for that Mr Nog and I suppose it may be a risk as far as the guy ropes of the tent are concerned.

I am sorry, but I am a boat hirer.  I grew up on a hire boatyard and I have been in the business for most of my career.  How would I have survived if I had to worry about this?  How do Richardsons survive, when they are sending out all those groups of all male parties?  For that matter, how about Griff's lad's week? That is advertised on the forum beforehand and it is reported on the forum, day by day, as it happens.  I am sure any other forum members meeting up with them are welcome to join them in the pub!  But does that make it a "forum event"?

I still don't see that the forum is any more responsible for its members' behaviour on Salhouse Broad, than a boatyard is for the behaviour of its customers, moored on exactly the same quay heading.

The next thing we know, the forum will be responsible for a boat which was seen making a wash, and flying the forum flag. That is silly, you think?  look how many people have said before, that bad behaviour on a hire boat should be reported to the boatyard!

I repeat, let's please not descend into wokeness.

• Like 2

Vaughan, I think it is  about members safety not behavior.

If someone is injured in a tug of war then the Forum owner could be liable if a full risk assessment had not been undertaken and implemented.

Sadly, these days people will try and sue at the drop of a hat.

I have been on the end of vexatious litigation a number of times, it is not much fun and very time consuming to defend.

I have 36 saftey policies, H and S procedures, method statements and technical assesments that have to be followed before we enter a domestic clients property.

If we fail on any item our insurance is invalidated.

• Like 4