Bubbling Sewage

JennyMorgan

The regulations changed this year. You should not discharge directly into a ditch or water course without treatment. Separation by two compartment septic tank with the black water running to a soak-a-way is considered treatment.

Much has been done in the last six years or so, the whole area around Neatishead and the Rustons has gone onto main drainage.

Last year I let Anglian Water drill to test wells on my land. We are still waiting to see if we will be put on mains. 

Where I live the black water will eventually perculate to the canal and Ant but will be neutralised by its passage though the soil.

• unclemike changed the title to Bubbling Sewage

This is untreated sewage.It was supposed to go through a pipe under the river to the mains. The E.A. established the fact that it is not connected to the mains at all but just goes into the river. Richardsons used to bring a tanker and float a pipe across the river to empty the holding tank. A local resident has claimed that has not happened for years. The E.A. are going to stop the sewage being pumped into the river. I expect using a tanker is the only immediate option available. A local resident reported it the the B.A. and the E.A. at least two years ago.

5 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

A local resident reported it the the B.A. and the E.A. at least two years ago.

It would seem that in this case that the all the relevant Authorities have been lapse in their duties. The end of the line undoubtedly lies with the EA but nevertheless the BA has a working relationship with the EA and surely a duty of care to those who live by and navigate the river. This matter, having been reported to the BA, should have been passed on to the EA and then subsequently followed up.  I would guess that the local council has also been regrettably slow off the mark on this one. It would also have been good had the 'local resident' also have followed their complaint up, assuming that it hadn't been. 

Before this goes any further I had better state that the pumpout machine at Hearts was definitely connected to the town sewers, at the public toilets. In fact the gunboat, Morning Flight, as a registered houseboat, had a dispensation to continue using a sea toilet as the council insisted that the pumpout machine be turned off in the winter months, in case of flooding.

Quite what the risk of flooding was supposed to be, was not made clear!

So it would seem to me that either the pipe has sprung a leak under the river or the council have disconnected it - maybe at the same time when they rebuilt the public toilets?

I am also not sure how it would later have been emptied by a lorry as the system was not built with a holding tank. Unless one was installed later.

9 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

Richardsons used to bring a tanker and float a pipe across the river to empty the holding tank. A local resident has claimed that has not happened for years.

I am also wondering whether this tanker with a pipe floated across the river is being confused by "a local resident" with Hearts' regular diesel delivery, from the public staithe.

You can only float a pipe across the river if it has fuel in, which is lighter than water. If it had sewage in it, it would sink!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I am also wondering whether this tanker with a pipe floated across the river is being confused by "a local resident" with Hearts' regular diesel delivery, from the public staithe.

You can only float a pipe across the river if it has fuel in, which is lighter than water. If it had sewage in it, it would sink!

Unless it was empty and capped while you floated it across..

Whatever it is/was its still a hundred times better than the Broads were in the early 70's or before boats had holding tanks - my sister and I had a game called "count the condoms", although I doubt thats what they were called then!!

And in any case, it may well be rather more about quality of reporting from our beloved local paper not best known for checking the facts before publication!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Unless it was empty and capped while you floated it across..

Naturally, but there is an important point concerning navigation. This method of delivery was only allowed by the Commissioners because the pipe was floating and therefore visible. It also was only allowed very early in the morning, after dawn, to minimise the danger to the navigation.

If "a local resident" thinks they saw sewage being pumped across, this must have involved a complicated negotiation with the navigation authority. 

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Whatever it is/was its still a hundred times better than the Broads were in the early 70's or before boats had holding tanks

Tell me about it!

And a hundred times better than when, in the 50s, the houses along the Yarmouth Rd had drains going out into the river under the Green. When the pipes were exposed on a low spring tide you could see the "torpedoes" come shooting out of the tubes.

But I'm sure the council wouldn't like to talk about that any more!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the sewage outlet just down river from Thorpe, on bad days the smell is atrocious. 

A bit confused Alan. I thought that the smell came from the main sewage works. Which outlet are you referring to?

Andrew

I’m confused too, as I had assumed the outlet was for treated water. Sewage farms do tend to pong in the summer. The Milton Keynes one is helpfully placed not far off junction 14 of the M1...so we get a fine whiff in the summer as a ‘welcome‘ home when returning from the Broads.

It's been reported elsewhere that the BA's response was that it was 'none of their business'! If that is so then that is to be regretted. Granted that it is not their duty but surely it is their business, if only because it is a navigation issue. 

• Like 1

No - I think Alan may be going back to the days before the current treatment plant ( or I think he is! ) when just before the bend travelling upstream where the hill is.The untreated sewage came into the river just where those big posts, or mooring trestles are,  which were used by the coasters to wait, if necessary, before going in to Norwich. The dyke is still there. Its quite a long way before the current outflow which in general is largely treated water

.Not sure if I would go in that old dyke there even now!!

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's been reported elsewhere that the BA's response was that it was 'none of their business'! If that is so then that is to be regretted. Granted that it is not their duty but surely it is their business, if only because it is a navigation issue. 

BA is correct it is not their business. Well not all of it. Most of it is ours. And joy of joy's. More to come once all this building work off the NDR is completed. Where is it all going to go. Does anybody know.?

You won't be able to see the bridges at Wroxham or Potter let alone go under them.

Andrew

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wussername said:

BA is correct it is not their business. Well not all of it. Most of it is ours. And joy of joy's. More to come once all this building work off the NDR is completed. Where is it all going to go. Does anybody know.?

You won't be able to see the bridges at Wroxham or Potter let alone go under them.

Andrew

Was a time when in Norfolk a 'floater' referred to a suet dumpling! A plate of floaters in a puddle of gravy was once a staple meal.

As for Andrew's prediction, will boats now feature a fashionably new brown boot topping? 

38 minutes ago, Wussername said:

BA is correct it is not their business.

Let us remind ourselves of the Authority's core duties:

Responsibilities

conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Broads.

promote opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the Broads by the public.

protect the interests of navigation (as navigation authority)

have regard for agriculture and forestry.

I don't think it unreasonable to assume that it is a relevant concern for the Authority, even if their duty is limited to kicking the EA's nether regions with e-mails and phone calls. The BA frequently tell us that water quality has improved during their tenancy, the inference being that they are at least partially responsible.  Okay, be partially responsible!

• Like 2