Dials..

Hi Folk's

just wondering if it's possible to replace the plastic dial covers that are cracked and faded or would I have to replace the whole thing.

John.

Dials.jpg

We have Vetus dials onboard 'B.A' - The actual dials are fine - What is not fine are the chrome bezels - They are a cheap n nasty 'Chrome' plastic - the 'Chrome' finish wears off regularly and I'm sick to the back teeth of having to replace them at our expense.  How I'd love some chrome on brass proper ones making but from where?

Griff

BA NBN 699.JPG

BA NBN 700.JPG

Thanks,  I'll look into it.  The actual instrument panel / dash is just fine.  Originally it was a bulkhead part of the fwd heads compartment, laminated on one side with Formica.  We cleaned it up, cut it down to size then laminated the t'other side with a walnut veneer

Griff

BA NBN 029.JPG

BA NBN 703.JPG

39 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

I have glass Chesapeake dials and one is scratched. Small scratches on glass can be polished out. Can anyone advise or tell me the best abrasive for the job? Ta very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Me too! Let me know how you get on.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wombat nee blownup said:

I have glass Chesapeake dials and one is scratched. Small scratches on glass can be polished out. Can anyone advise or tell me the best abrasive for the job? Ta very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

I haven’t tried it, but I understand that jewellers rouge is a fine cutting compound.

• Thanks 1

On 30/03/2020 at 10:52, BroadAmbition said:

We have Vetus dials onboard 'B.A' - The actual dials are fine - What is not fine are the chrome bezels - They are a cheap n nasty 'Chrome' plastic - the 'Chrome' finish wears off regularly and I'm sick to the back teeth of having to replace them at our expense.  How I'd love some chrome on brass proper ones making but from where?

Griff

BA NBN 699.JPG

BA NBN 700.JPG

Griff the dials you need for BA are at Smiths Instruments.co.uk. if you can afford them?

Paul

On 30/03/2020 at 10:52, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

BA NBN 699.JPG

BA NBN 700.JPG

How about doing it yourself Griff, products such as Easy Chrome, comes in spray or paint on...I haven't delved into it too much but it may be an option.

Regards....John.

https://www.stardustcolors.co.uk/chrome-paint/1229-brush-on-chrome-chrome-paint-using-brush.html

My rev counter dial is by Smiths. Lovely chrome bezel and, as a former employee of the company, it reminds me of where my pension comes from. The oil pressure, water temperature and alternator volts dials are nasty, rectangular black plastic monstrosities from the 1980's and I would love to be rid of them. Have seen new old stock of Smiths dials on ebay for silly money and notice that there is someone in South Wales who makes new Smiths instruments, which would be more in keeping with the boat. Just need to persuade myself to unlock my sporran and spend the money.   

• Like 1

The people making the Smiths instruments are really helpful and it's a lovely product albeit a tad expensive. Because they manufacture they are able to match your existing faces or create gauges to your own design.

Getting the gauges apart is always a problem as marine ones especially are bonded to stop condensation. 

Charlie.... If your bezels are separate to the units you could have some replacements turned up and chromed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks JA - that's helpful. if they are able.  Our bezels are indeed a separate item to the dials, so having them turned and chromed may indeed now be a possibility.  It's a proper extravagance though.  could end up being more expensive than buying new dials - I'll make an enquiry, costs nowt to ask

Griff