Cerise Lady Has A Day Out At Last

CambridgeCabby

7 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Moored up at Ranworth , next to an occupied taxi tank , staithe full

C681661C-3A02-4181-B065-F759F4BEF698.jpeg

There appears to be one rafting on the far end, someone did that to us last summer and the BA ranger made them move (not at our request)

They asked the hirers if they were ok with it and were informed it wasn’t a problem .

The ranger has been pulling boats down all day , even those unattended , she attempted it with mine and I told her she did not have my permission to do so , if she wanted it moved she should ask me 

21 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The ranger has been pulling boats down all day , even those unattended ,

Isn’t that breaking their own bye-laws? What do you mean by ‘pulling boats down’ - moving them down the side bit?

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Creating spaces if she thinks she can shuffle them along 

What happens if no one’s on board and there’s a mudweight down? (Sorry for the questions, this action by the BA ranger just doesn’t seem right to me if she takes it upon herself to move unoccupied boats.)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

It does say last summer!...but what difference does it make?..

It was a simple question, and you have answered. Thank you.

As for the difference perhaps you can answer my next question. Is the BA full time employee at Ranworth a Ranger, a Quay Attendant or a member of the BA marketing team?

There is a difference.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wussername said:

As for the difference perhaps you can answer my next question. Is the BA full time employee at Ranworth a Ranger, a Quay Attendant or a member of the BA marketing team?

There is a difference.

I'm afraid I cannot answer that simple question as I neither know nor care.

6 hours ago, Wussername said:

I am sorry I asked.

Wussername asks a fair and most relevant question, based on a good knowledge of the Maltsters quay and its personnel. This is a bit of a "thorny" subject as it raises the issue of moving a boat on a mooring without the hirer's (or owner's) knowledge, presence, or permission.

I have always understood it to be forbidden to touch someone's mooring lines or move their boat. There may well be a bye-law about it for those who know where to look.

It is understandable that there is a wish to maximise the space available on this busy quay and the moving of moored boats is naturally being done with the best of intentions.  What about insurance in the event of damage, though.  Worse, what about physical injury as a result of such an action?

In which case, is this person just a well meaning bystander assuming a "high vis jacket" authority for themselves, or is it a BA Ranger or quay attendant who is therefore acting under the auspices (and responsibility) of the BA itself.

That is, if the the BA actually has such authority, in law.

• Thanks 2

This is the bye-law I suppose which allows the Ranger to move any boat. Vaughan’s questions re insurance, injury etc seem very relevant though. 

*No person other than the Navigation Officer or an Officer of the Authority acting in the execution of his duty shall without reasonable excuse let go or attempt to let go or part the mooring line or lines of any vessel except with the permission of the master of the vessel.*

• Thanks 3

Thank you for that.

It remains to define "acting in the execution of his duty".

There is a difference, in my view, between moving a vessel which is obstructing the navigation or may be itself in danger of damage (from a rising tide for instance), and simply shuffling boats about on an overnight mooring in order to get more people in the pub!

I hope this does not mean they are now going to "make more space" on the moorings at Acle or Reedham, with a tide running, no-one on board and the engine stopped.

One may think there is a difference, but it is the same principle.

• Like 1

Could the BA argue that they deem themselves to have a blanket authority from the hire yards in a similar way to how they can close Breydon to hire boats?

Of course, the owner of the vessel is not the master.

• Like 2

There is a well known pub on the north rivers, where I moored stern on one morning, only to find that my boat had been moved two spaces up the quay, for no apparent reason, while I was having lunch.

The quay attendant was apparently a well known "character" who had become a bit of a law unto himself, so I didn't say anything about it.

On the other hand, the pub lost my business as I have never moored there again.