Cerise Lady Has A Day Out At Last

CambridgeCabby

19/05/2021

Left Womack at 06:40 , rivers were beautiful with their mirror surface , we love early cruising , motored very gently out of the dyke , past the new private mooring basin which is still less than half full ,right on to the Thurne , then right again onto the Bure destination the “holy grail” , Horning staithe , arrived at Horning 09:00 , there was one space on the green end , about a foot longer than Cerise Lady , so in we went , soon safely moored up for a lazy day watching the boats ,

By 10:30 there were only four boats remaining . 
We spent our day helping boats in , and drinking copious cups of tea .

For lunch I had a crab sandwich from the Staithe and Willow , extremely well filled with a mixture of white and brown meat , freshly baked granary bread and a packet of kettle crisps £8.95 which I felt was well worth it .

At 12:30 Norfolk played its usual flanker , a sudden hail storm with hail the size of marrowfat peas , 12:45 it was over and the sun won through and for a couple of hours it was T shirt and shorts in the warm sunshine 

A few glasses of vino during the afternoon before dinner in the Swan , fish cakes for me , steak for Kate.

Just having a few more samples of the well kept Doombar then back aboard , soon time to turn in .

Tomorrow we will pop up to Acle to see what Dunes Cafe is like 

77B6BD95-277C-4EE7-9D79-2C03C3044796.jpeg

5C0391AD-8169-4959-A700-10FF4F28BFFE.jpeg

BE8E7D94-DEAD-4E30-BFF0-BABCA745F1C0.jpeg

34725783-8F3A-4C0B-BF3A-BA501DD1A03A.jpeg

5B3B4A80-F8F8-41C2-947C-91E545177999.jpeg

979BB849-71B6-4C6F-B5F8-10AF5A68806B.jpeg

9048F24A-F84D-47F4-BC6C-7BFF55A04AF7.jpeg

ABBBDA80-9B9C-4C77-B1CD-78517FFCC8CF.jpeg

74DC7E83-720B-43D0-B207-01D68DA10E52.jpeg

E6DA8686-0C32-48F9-9991-FE902CEE067B.jpeg

4E4EADB0-2DD5-4808-8931-5A82B7D8C378.jpeg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Cal said:

In all the years we have boated on the Broads in hire boats and our own little boat we have never managed to get on the public moorings at Horning :default_blink:

:default_badday: Us too!

3 hours ago, Cal said:

In all the years we have boated on the Broads in hire boats and our own little boat we have never managed to get on the public moorings at Horning :default_blink:

We have . . . . . . . . . . . . I think the most recent occasion was in 2007.  We tried twice when in the northern rivers in November 2019 and still couldn’t!

43 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

It would be interesting to know whether the crab sandwiches at the Dunes Cafe live up to Staithe and Willow. Hopefully equally as good. :default_biggrin:

We haven’t sampled Dune cafe Acle yet , due to the increasing winds we have decided to stay put .

We tried , well I tried , the crab sandwiches at Dune Cafe Winterton before it’s sad closure and although very well filled and excellent I personally preferred The Staithe and Willows offering as they mix the brown crab meat in whereas Dunes was purely white crab meat , as I said it’s purely personal preferences   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It would be interesting to know whether the crab sandwiches at the Dunes Cafe live up to Staithe and Willow. Hopefully equally as good. :default_biggrin:

Tan used to like the salmon and cream cheese sandwiches that they used to do at the Staithe & Willow a few years ago for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20/05/21

A lazy day with overcast skies , rain and high winds .

We set off from Horning “Holy Grail” early and gently motored along our original destination being the new Acle moorings , decided to pop into Ranworth to replenish the water tank , upon arrival it was apparent that “The Taxi Rank” was going to be available shortly so we made the decision to stay as it was obvious the weather was taking a turn for the worse , so best to shelter up .

After about an hour the space was available so we moved and tied up for the day/evening .

We have decided to travel home tomorrow , so we had a brunch at 12:00 using the bacon sausages eggs and mushrooms up .

The day was spent cleaning the inside of Cerise Lady with the occasional venture outside between the rain showers , then the wind picked up dropping the temperature by a few degrees , plugged the oil filled radiator in and watched a bit of inane tv .

Dinner this evening was aboard , M&S steak pie , cauliflower cheese , potato croquettes and for desert Katie finished her strawberries and the rest of the cream .

At 20:00 , suffering from my usual dry throat , I adjourned to The Maltsters leaving Katie ensconced in front of the tv ; Ghostship was tonight’s tipple and mighty fine it was too , back on board now having some cheese and biscuits before I too retire to bed .

Distinct lack of photo opportunities today due to weather conditions 

E3DD2254-460B-4554-B338-A9D77DCC425F.jpeg

• Like 4

Left Ranworth at 09:00 this morning , very windy conditions abound .

Slow cruise down the Bure , looking at the water level on the reeds decided that even though high water at Ludham bridge was 09:30 (ish) we would be ok , soon the upstream marker board was upon us and displaying a healthy 8ft 2 so plenty of room , passed under and continued on  , destination Gayes staithe for brunch , asparagus and poached egg , the downstream marker board was displaying a vast 8ft 7or8 .

Slow meander up to where we are now moored side on at Gayes , still very windy and a brisk 10 degreeC.

2C3F3F14-8CF5-4C06-8AC4-CF164C39C129.jpeg

BB94D19B-ED65-4E92-8B37-8E6330EDF30A.jpeg

FF116D97-F719-41FE-B0BD-82119CF6DFD6.jpeg

• Like 6

Back home now , in the warm , stopped off in Horning to have a second look at a boat we like , who knows ?

Upon arriving home , very pleasantly surprised to see a package containing my NBN pennant which I only ordered Tuesday evening , exceptional response from The Forum Shop , and I didn’t even use NBN Prime 

• Like 3