Learning The Ropes

Meg

Hello everyone . I wonder if anyone can recommend a course of instruction. I have had plenty of hire craft  experience but mostly bath tub style. I now have Norfolk Dream a 29' Broom HT. Whilst I understand and can safely carry out general cruising. I would like instruction on getting into small space stern moorings. I have bow thrusters but my Marina mooring is tight, I almost wiped out a tethered dingy yesterday much to the annoyance of those concerned. It is about what position to start turns etc and how to judge front distance when you cannot see it.

I thought I had heard of someone offering (paid of course) to do training courses. I just want to feel able to enjoy her.

Many thanks

Meg, You will be fine teaching yourself as long as you do everything slowly. Take the boat to a broad and mess about in her to get a better feel for the craft.

However, if you still feel you need a bit of help, just tell us on here when you are on the boat and where you will likely be, and I'm sure you'll be flooded with offers.

I agree with MM - keep going  and you will pick it up but above all take your time!

Don't worry even the best still make mistakes! I have to reverse into and alongside a finger pontoon with another boat , but when it goes wrong and you misjudge it, boy does it go wrong! Even after so long!

You will get better with time and experience - I am not sure you would learn a lot more by flinging a RIB around on a training course, perhaps with the exception of confidence! And that will come anyway.

you will find that reversing in from one side will be easier than the other, this is because of prop walk, one way the prop helps you turn the back end in, the other it hinders, so learn which side your boat prefers and approach your moorings so the boat helps you. practice the manouver in the middle of a broad, in various states of wind, until you are confident where it will go when you ask it.

• Like 1

I recently went from owning for 10yrs a 23ft rear cockpit cruiser to 34ft "Bathtub" style, I was initally concerned about mooring etc beacause of the limited viewing particularly the rear and offside, so we went to a secluded mooring and I practised stern and side on mooring imagining that it was crowded, I soon picked up the teqhnique so I would not worry to much, their may also be videos on Youtube that you can have a look at. I have also put a review on a previous thread in the Technical Section about a cheaply priced wireless rear view camera that I am very impressed with so far. Lots of good advice from seasoned professionals on here I am sure..

You just need to practice. As others have said the more you do it the more confident you will feel.

Your boat will walk one way or the other in reverse. This is called prop walk. You need to find out which way your boat goes and use this to your advantage. If the prop walk is the wrong way for your mooring you will be better off mooring in bow first.

You also need to take account of any wind or tide as this will affect how the boat handles as well.

Don't worry about it. The more you worry and get wound up the worse it will become. Do everything slowly and if the worst does happen you won't cause any damage. The absolute worst thing you can do if you are going to hit another boat is panic and grab a fist full of throttle as this will make matters much worse. A light nudge with no throttle is unlikely to cause any damage.

You can't buy experience. The only way to get it is to go out and gain it.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone it is that finger pontoon with another boat alongside that is the worry, my crew are ready with a spare fender and boat hook so that is not the worry. There are two boats moored along side opposite my mooring so when I am going forward to get lined up there really is no room for  error.

I will persevere and work out prop walk' I think it pulls to port.

I think it is having a nervous audience worrying me.

Happy Days ahead

5 minutes ago, Meg said:

Thank you everyone it is that finger pontoon with another boat alongside that is the worry, my crew are ready with a spare fender and boat hook so that is not the worry. There are two boats moored along side opposite my mooring so when I am going forward to get lined up there really is no room for  error.

I will persevere and work out prop walk' I think it pulls to port.

I think it is having a nervous audience worrying me.

Happy Days ahead

Hi.  You can bet your life that the first time you get it absolutely right ............. there won't be anyone looking!  As others have said, 

enjoy, take it slowly and don't panic.

• Like 1

Do not prod other boats with a boat hook!!

That will cause more damage then just lying alongside them.

If you are going slowly into your berth and end up lying alongside the adjacent boat it is not a problem provided you do everything slowly. We moor so that the prevailing wind blows us onto our pontoon. On the odd occasion it blows the opposite way we just aim to lie alongside the adjacent boat and then pull the boat across into our own berth on ropes. No damage done and easier than trying to beat nature and aim for our own berth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Cal said:

Do not prod other boats with a boat hook!!

I am a long time hirer and couldn't agree more.

Meg

I am pretty sure that Robin did a video when he hired a similar boat from Barnes, could be worth looking at that.

One thing not mentioned yet and it may be because it is too obvious so apologies in advance if I am stating the obvious.... Don't turn the wheel to reverse, line up using short forward bursts withe helm in desired forward direction then slowly go back a little, if the stern isn't pointing where you want it to then go forward a little again. The mad turning of the helm from lock to lock is an instinctive action from car driving but doesn't help at all stern mooring.

• Like 1

Thank you I have learned not to try and steer but get lined up and go back with minimal adjustment. i need 2 more feet at the front to achieve this comfortably. Or instead of calling out nervously stand on your boat and give some practical guidance. I need to know where to position myself so when I pivot I'm in the right place. Oh well I am sure the adventures of Norfolk Dream will eventually be hassle free, meanwhile many thanks and wave in a friendly manner if you see me..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sam said:

Thank you Cal and Grendel. I didn’t know about prop walk. I love this forum. You can pick up all sorts if you read all the comments :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

its particularly noticeable when you are going along catfield dyke to Catfield common, (which is more than a bit shallow) and the prop bites into the mud of the bottom and the back of the boat walks sideways, once I got half way I spotted the depth gauge, less than 2 ft.

3 minutes ago, Meg said:

Or instead of calling out nervously stand on your boat and give some practical guidance. I need to know where to position myself so when I pivot I'm in the right place.

The people on the boats in front of you, do you mean? It can be a bit tricky shouting instructions unless you know they are wanted! Just shout across that you'd appreciate their help, I guarantee they will 👍

Will certainly give you a friendly wave 🍺🍺

8 minutes ago, Meg said:

Thank you I have learned not to try and steer but get lined up and go back with minimal adjustment. i need 2 more feet at the front to achieve this comfortably. Or instead of calling out nervously stand on your boat and give some practical guidance. I need to know where to position myself so when I pivot I'm in the right place. Oh well I am sure the adventures of Norfolk Dream will eventually be hassle free, meanwhile many thanks and wave in a friendly manner if you see me..

Sometimes it is best not to have people calling out "guidance" More often than not it is not the right advice :default_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

Most problems occur when over use of the throttle is applied. The best piece of advice I ever had when coming in to moor was " Neutral is your best friend "

Yep, Neutral and tickover. Reverse to go in and forwards to steer, but always tickover.

• Like 1

I know the theory and can moor most times no problem but there is never an audience for that, get it wrong the world and it's mother is watching!

Everyone on here says take it slow, they are right.

Handbreak turns don't work on a boat.

A gentle nudge on the boat next to you is acceptable a glass breaking shunt isn't especially if you spill my beer.

I am always willing to take a rope but I will not tie it, I will hold it until you are ready to tie up.

Relax you don't need to rush.

When we get back to our mooring the meerkat heads appear then see us and disappear, no help arrives, others I am afraid to say, cause panic myself included.

Pick a calm day and try mooring several timesat your base. I only use the bow thruster when the boat blown of target (cannot stand the noise).

paul

I've been reversing boats for a good many years and I always knew to steer in forward gear because reverse can ho anywhere. What I've learned from this thread is "prop walk" seems to have a predictability about it in that it will send you one way or the other but always the same way with a given boat. This is useful information and something with which I'll enjoy experimenting.

Points have been well made about using neutral and taking your time with which I agree. I would add on a related point that it's all too easy to become unduly fearful of touching another boat. Yes, in an ideal world and with perfect skill you'd stern mor in to a tight gap and never touch the boat either side. In reality, if you're reversing at less than walking pace or being blown by the wind in neutral, the chances of you causing damage to a boat you've 'hit' are close to zero.