Irons On Board

OscarP

42 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Its that funny  thing  you use to make your shirt look good:default_biggrin:

Whatever for? You are on HOLIDAY!! That  aside if you wear your t-shirts one size too small then the creases don't show, at least not the ones in the shirt!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Whatever for? You are on HOLIDAY!! That  aside if you wear your t-shirts one size too small then the creases don't show, at least not the ones in the shirt!

I suspect the lady of the house may be behind this JM :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree, best to check with the yard. The iron should have a label somewhere giving the consumption in watts. 

All ex Swancraft boats for example had 1400 watt inverters but some have smaller 200 or 300 watts which won't be powerful enough. Don't want to go blowing any fuses so best to ask. What boat are you on? 

Good grief :facepalm: the OP is probably wondering what we're all on  :default_biggrin:

Quick Google shows typical travel iron to be 700 - 800 watts so could be used on a boat with a decent inverter - for example if the boat has a microwave then it should run the iron. Mrs Nog used a 1,000 watt hairdryer on Swancraft boats with no problem. Run the engine at the same time. But do ask the yard. If they give permission you're covered. 

Hi If you use the iron i would suggest you only use it while engine is running/cruising or while on shore power irons unlike micro waves tend to be used for longer and there for use more power and if used late evening you my find that the fridge has stopped working come morning. John

• Like 3

Quite right.

When I was in syndicate ownership I wasted countless hours trying to explain to people with no knowledge of electrics that inverters are essentially a device for flattening batteries quickly and that no inverter or battery regardless of how modern or expensive will change the laws of physics.

A 650W microwave is rated on the output power, but may consume more like 1000W. However you're only going to be using that for a few minutes at a time, and most people seem to realise that should only be done when the engine is running.

A 700W iron, however, is going to empty one boat battery to 50% (any more and the battery will be damaged) in not much more than an hour. You can't make 'mains' power out of 12V batteries and expect it to last long, and people just don't do enough hours' running to put the charge back into the batteries.

• Like 2