Richardsons Open Until 28 November

Broads01

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

It's not working now. I've tried it a couple of time today, so perhaps it's still in the testing stage. I suspect it may be that it has to synchronize with the Hoseasons system (assuming they are going to be offered on there). Under normal circumstances, when a booking is made at either Richardsons or Hoseasons, each other's reservation systems are updated in real-time so that there's no possibility of boats being double booked. 

How odd, I've just tried again. 7 nights from the 17th November first boat that comes up is sparkling horizon followed by a few of the ex swan craft fleet etc etc. I'm using my Samsung galaxy phone. If it's a glitch they need to sort it as could potentially loose a booking or two. 

51 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

My most recent hire was last November from Freedom. I'd originally booked for late October but ended up going later due to my wife's health issues at the time. Daytime was lovely and I was able to have the sliding roof open much of the time. I struggled at night a bit because although when in bed I was warm enough I was very cold each time I got up. Next time I think I'd hire a boat with hook up and buy myself a low wattage heater. 

I know all the platinum fleet and some of the refitted boat at Richardson's are equipped with shore power hook up. But they don't allow it I believe. I do remember talking to Paul about it some time ago and I think it's to prevent damage. Hirer's moving off whilst still plugged in etc. I would imagine any of the new builds, swan fleet would be fine in winter with shore power. Maybe something Clive would re consider if November hiring is going to become the norm. 

• Thanks 1

We thought the same about Richardson’s not letting you have the shore power lead. But when we asked the young lad doing the handover a couple of years ago he told us the cable was in the back cupboard. So it was there and we did use it. You just need to know that Richardson’s don’t sell the cards. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Nothing better than arriving at a mooring at dusk, putting the roof up, turn the heating on and then head to the nearest pub whilst the boat warms up. Go back to boat after a couple to find it nice and warm, have showers, wash up and then head back to the pub for dinner, having set the timer to turn the heating back on again 30mins before pub closing. :default_beerchug:

Must be your own boat as being able to set the heating 30mins before the pub closed.      Also your batteries must be tip top.

The yards go to great lengths to provide all the comforts and conveniences of home and people now expect that almost as a right. The reality is that folk are going boating. It might be cold in the morning but that is one of the joys of winter boating. That takes me back to my comments about suitable clothing! A degree of privation is good for the spirit, and quite possibly for your health! Don't want to become soft, do we? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It might be cold in the morning but that is one of the joys of winter boating.

I remember many years ago on hire company advertised a feature of its boats was that you could turn on the heating whilst lying in bed.

• Like 2

When we hired from Swancraft we occasionally (and with their blessing) left the heating on low while we went to the pub. Such was the Swancraft quality that there were never issues with batteries and heating. 

JM has it in a nutshell though, people do expect all the home comforts. 

Our procedure in the morning is to nip out of bed, put the kettle on, flick on the heating. Back into bed and by the time the kettle has boiled the heating is coming through. Never had a problem. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Next time I think I'd hire a boat with hook up and buy myself a low wattage heater. 

There are some very good camping heaters out there.

Unless my memory is totally flawed, not impossible,  but aren't some of the hook up points closed during the winter due to flooding risks?  Winter being end of October till April the First.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Never hooked up in my life but somewhere like Reedham springs to mind where the river often tops the quay. 

I think they are switched off, although they have been raised on pedestals now.  There are still electric hook ups elsewhere, though.  When the Brundall Navy aren’t about, you can even moor at Bramerton too!!  When we are out and about through the winter, we do try to stay where there is electric available.  Just as well that The Ferry House is suitably equipped!!  We have ample battery power on board Norfolk Lady, but when hooked up to shore power, long cold nights cease to be a worry.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, andyg said:

How odd, I've just tried again. 7 nights from the 17th November first boat that comes up is sparkling horizon followed by a few of the ex swan craft fleet etc etc. I'm using my Samsung galaxy phone. If it's a glitch they need to sort it as could potentially loose a booking or two.

That's weird Andy. I've just tried on a Sony Experia and my laptop, and still nothing. I still think it's in the process of being set up, but who knows

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

I could not believe that when moored up at womack staithe last week, the boat next to me fired up their heating in the morning, I hardly considered it cold as I was wearing just my shorts at the time with tee shirt off.

The Webasto 90 and similar also provide hot water.

Fred

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

That's weird Andy. I've just tried on a Sony Experia and my laptop, and still nothing. I still think it's in the process of being set up, but who knows

If you select the boat first rather than do a general search using the dates,you can get a price.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect home comforts whilst on holiday. I remember early and late season boating holidays as a child on boats such as silver jubilee, kingsway, Queensway as quite cold and damp affairs to be quite honest. We live in different times and hirers expectations are so different. I find folk that I've spoken to having a sailing holiday on the broads are a totally different breed and much more akin to inclement weather and are looking for a totally different experience. I wouldn't consider a holiday where I felt cold or damp all the time that's not fun in my book. I think the yards are going in the right direction with their new boats and have clearly got the customer experience at the forefront of their thinking. So winter crusing should be a much better experience as we move forward. Of course you will need to pay a premium for such boats, but hey you only get what you pay for.

• Like 5

I was hoping Peter would pick up on my post from the 1970's in January. I'm almost certain it could have been him we met at the bar. At the time the place was a building site, the basin had been dug out but the landworks were far from complete and mainly just mud. We really enjoyed that holiday recalling it fondly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Of course you will need to pay a premium for such boats

Not necessarily. A significant cost of a boat is it's capital. If you can get more weeks hire per year, you can reduce the cost per week. Whilst I don't think winter hire will ever be mainstream, I've always thought it would be worth the larger fleets having a few boats designed for and available for winter cruising.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I've always thought it would be worth the larger fleets having a few boats designed for and available for winter cruising

Indeed. I also believe (stand to be corrected) that tolls and insurance are for 12 months. Why not earn a bit more in winter? I spoke to one of the yard staff at Faircraft Loynes ( before the new ownership) and they told me it was a welcome little earner. I guess rates and many other overheads are all year round too. I'm not sure about a special winter boat - Bridgecraft have very kindly let us hire Humber Bridge in December for the last few years and we've been snug as a bug, lovely boat, draught free and plenty warm enough with the on board heating. Previously the Swancraft boats were also excellent. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm not sure about a special winter boat

Not necessarily a special design, just one where they have thought about insulation, draughts and extra power consumption for longer nights. Sounds like Humber Bridge and the Swancraft boats do this. I'm sure many other do it as well.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Not necessarily a special design, just one where they have thought about insulation, draughts and extra power consumption for longer nights. Sounds like Humber Bridge and the Swancraft boats do this. I'm sure many other do it as well.

Absolutely, the 'flat' Alphacrafts etc are ideal and are pretty much draught free if well maintained. The centre cockpit Alphacraft for example are not so good as the canopies are not particularly well fitting. 

When I hired from Swancraft they used a dual battery bank which meant there was no problem with battery power and no need to plug in. I don't know if the system has been retained though. Having said that we've never had any issues with Humber Bridge either. 

When the lottery comes up though I'll certainly be after a winter friendly boat! 

22 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Absolutely, the 'flat' Alphacrafts etc are ideal and are pretty much draught free if well maintained. The centre cockpit Alphacraft for example are not so good as the canopies are not particularly well fitting. 

When I hired from Swancraft they used a dual battery bank which meant there was no problem with battery power and no need to plug in. I don't know if the system has been retained though. Having said that we've never had any issues with Humber Bridge either. 

When the lottery comes up though I'll certainly be after a winter friendly boat! 

I think you have a very good point regards to maintenance, I've hired a flat alpha early season from Moore's go boating operation in wroxham. It was about 13 or more years ago. It was a particularly cold April and the drafts around the split canopy where dreadful. We had towels pillow cases and all sorts trying to stop the drafts. I understand you need an air flow but I think the Khyber pass would of been warmer in winter then that saloon. I've also hired suncharm 2 from Clive's yard a few times and the saloon heating on that's not great either ( I've seen other ppl complain ) even when it was new. I'm aware they had problems with the system originally fitted to suncharm and think it was changed. 

551519465_heartsfleet.thumb.jpeg.125f8e2398103a5b2bb48c895b9b3323.jpeg

1147096902_islandwinter.thumb.jpeg.b1338d3dda134b4f9dd78c02fffd37f4.jpeg

Sorry about the quality of these old slides but they were both taken in the same year - 1957. The first one in August and the second, in November. There are good reasons why we don't let out hire boats in the winter months!

Keyboard warriors in defence of "climate change" are welcome to jump in, at this point!

Meantime, any hire fleet manager, right now, will be able to tell you the date of Easter next year, since it is the cut-off point for all the planning, parts ordering, logistics and budgeting, which go into the winter maintenance period for a hire fleet.

Easter next year is the 4th April, so if bookings go on until end November and at least 3 weeks go into staff holidays (since those who work in the tourist business don't take summer holidays) then there will be not a lot more than 3 months this winter, to service and refurbish the boats.

It is only natural that yards will attempt to prolong the season in order to get more bookings but everything has its knock-on effects.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

On 03/08/2020 at 07:19, SwanR said:

We thought the same about Richardson’s not letting you have the shore power lead. But when we asked the young lad doing the handover a couple of years ago he told us the cable was in the back cupboard. So it was there and we did use it. You just need to know that Richardson’s don’t sell the cards. 

That good to hear they have had a change of heart. It certainly wasn't the case when suncharm was new. 👌