The Perils Of Paddle Boarding

Vaughan

JM,

I have now spent most of today investigating a subject that had been niggling me for some time but that I realised was a bit short on published fact. I'm not particularly bothered by the time spent bacause it is something I often do, saves arguments over what to watch on the box, if nothing else.

I have trawled the websites of British Canoeing (Formally The British Canoe Union), Go paddling, BSUPA (British Standup Paddle Association) and The Canal and River Trust, and of course BA.

Of all these only CRT even tries to address the issues of law and regulation in relation to paddleboarding, or addresses what might be called best practice.

In the case of CRT they go as far as strongly suggesting the use of personal flotation aids (PFAs) and not much else.

British Canoeing suggest PFAs are not required if leashes are used, saying shorter coiled ones are best as it keeps the board near you, before going on to say longer straight ones are best as it keeps the board away from you !

The only people to address UK regs in any form are a company called Decathlon who seem to include quotes from British Canoeing in their guides. I must admit to a slight error here as the quote I used may not have originated from there.

The quote in full, in one section:

Where and How You Can Use Your Stand-up Paddle Board

Whether you’re stand-up paddle boarding on a river, lake or ocean, also impacts the rules you must follow.

When river stand-up paddle boarding, you’re banned from using a leash.
    You cannot use a stand-up paddle board in swimming areas or designated beach areas unless your board is recreational beach gear
    You cannot cross port entrances and exit channels. At sea, red (right) and green (left) cylindrical buoys mark these channels.
    Do not pass in front of another sea vessel that has restricted manoeuvrability like tugboats or sailboats
    If you’re travelling more than 300m from the coastline, you must inform the authorities and travel with a stand-up paddle board partner.

And the other quote, in another section:

In Rivers and Lakes

The British coast guard considers rivers and lakes to be enclosed bodies of waters. On these waters, stand-up paddle boards are small crafts. According to the rules of priority, stand-up paddle boarders must give way to boats bigger than 15m, like barges and cruisers, as well as sailboats. However, motorised boats, less than 15 m, must give way to stand-up paddle boarders.

The use of bold type is mine.

In view of an apparently lax attitude by supposed leading bodies it seems to me, for what it is worth, that it is time for the Broads Authority to determine what is, and what is not, a viable code of conduct for paddleboating on  the Broads, and where the current byelaws may need clarifying, especially in relation to what is repealed, replaced or altered in relation to national legislation.

The bodies I refer to above offer training courses but do not appear to publish detailed codes of conduct or rules to be adhered to, if they do they are not easy to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I may be in the minority here , but , The Broads are there for the enjoyment of us all , fishermen and women along the banks, those that cycle along the bridleways alongside the rivers , walkers on the footpaths , sailors in their flappy things , motor boaters hirers and privateers alike , canoeists and kayakers , rowers and yes paddle boarders.

The fact that some don’t approve of their chosen sport and leisure activity doesn’t reduce their right to also enjoy the Broads as we do 

No-one could possibly disagree with this, however most of the activities detailed here are covered by codes, rules and laws, mainly enshrined in the Broads Byelaws, paddleboarders (Yes, arguably) are not.

e.g. During sailing events on Hickling traffic is told to keep to the right and follow directions from marshalls etc. and on stretches of river used by waterskiers traffic is advised to keep an eye open and avoid.

Anyone on a paddleboard who has read the same guidance as me would assume he can just charge straight on through as he has right of way.

As I said before it's not about restriction, it about regulation. Paddleboarders should enjoy the Broads in the same way as the rest of us, with responsibility.

• Like 6

Can you link to the byelaw for the first half of your second para. please, I’m not aware of Marshalls there but perhaps I’ve always ignored them? On a sad but related to this thread note I see the pits at Bawsey have claimed another casualty today.

1 minute ago, MotorBoater said:

No-one could possibly disagree with this, however most of the activities detailed here are covered by codes, rules and laws, mainly enshrined in the Broads Byelaws, paddleboarders (Yes, arguably) are not.

e.g. During sailing events on Hickling traffic is told to keep to the right and follow directions from marshalls etc. and on stretches of river used by waterskiers traffic is advised to keep an eye open and avoid.

Anyone on a paddleboard who has read the same guidance as me would assume he can just charge straight on through as he has right of way.

As I said before it's not about restriction, it about regulation. Paddleboarders should enjoy the Broads in the same way as the rest of us, with responsibility.

One would hope that , just as in a car when cyclists are disregarding the rules of the road, the helm of a motorised vessel would be vigilant when in the proximity of  paddle boarders, as he or she should be at all times when underway , we all hope that an accident doesn’t occur between a boat and a paddle boarder but these things can and do happen , sadly .

What we don’t need is more and more legislation which will only cost a fortune to implement and will most likely be ignored .

As a Cambridge resident you only have to see the behaviour of a majority of the cyclists who travel at night without lights , ignore traffic signals , zebra crossings and one way streets , to see how unworkable legislation can be .

Well, looking at the Navigation section, 6 what in little peoples terms I would call Definitions, Marshall isn’t there. Pity I am really interested to understand the ramifications of this statement if it is not purely hypothetical and an example of how the byelaws could be written.... but are not? Genuine question.

12 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

One would hope that , just as in a car when cyclists are disregarding the rules of the road, the helm of a motorised vessel would be vigilant when in the proximity of  paddle boarders, as he or she should be at all times when underway , we all hope that an accident doesn’t occur between a boat and a paddle boarder but these things can and do happen , sadly .

What we don’t need is more and more legislation which will only cost a fortune to implement and will most likely be ignored .

As a Cambridge resident you only have to see the behaviour of a majority of the cyclists who travel at night without lights , ignore traffic signals , zebra crossings and one way streets , to see how unworkable legislation can be .

Whilst I agree that legislation would possibly be ignored, I do think that having something in black and white could at least protect a law abiding boater getting totally rinsed by a paddleboarder who's chosen to act recklessly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

What clown came up with that one!? There are a hell of a lot of powered craft out there under 15 meters and not just on the Broads. More confusing than Boris's lockdown rules!

6 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

If Motorboaters example is based on fact then agreed no more confusion welcomed, but equally I think some different legislation may be needed to clear up the confusion if third parties such as Marshall’s whoever they are can become involved in a traffic rules scenario between two other vessels and tell them what to do... are the marshalls harbour pilots?

Night all. The silence of a response to my question is deafening. Broad brush statements not backed up by quote or specific reference to legislation... where does the Hickling example come from as the forum poster states “are covered” by byelaws in the para. above?!?

12 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Well, looking at the Navigation section, 6 what in little peoples terms I would call Definitions, Marshall isn’t there. Pity I am really interested to understand the ramifications of this statement if it is not purely hypothetical and an example of how the byelaws could be written.... but are not? Genuine question.

1 minute ago, Turnoar said:

If Motorboaters example is based on fact then agreed no more confusion welcomed, but equally I think some different legislation may be needed to clear up the confusion if third parties such as Marshall’s whoever they are can become involved in a traffic rules scenario between two other vessels and tell them what to do... are the marshalls harbour pilots?

Currently checking back over what I read, I did say mainly enshrined in the Broads Byelaws and it may be that what I saw related to an event like a racing meeting for instance. Unfortunately I have exited all web pages I was using and have to start again.

It still won't alter my point about right of way though, whether marshalls are legally defined or not. I think it only matters if they have a temporary power.

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The fact that some don’t approve of their chosen sport and leisure activity doesn’t reduce their right to also enjoy the Broads as we do 

I don't think anybody is questioning anyone else's right, everything so far has been about safety concerns.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

As one who at least tried it, I paddled from one end of Oulton Broad to the other this afternoon. Think I'll stick to my kayak in the future! Number three daughter paddled back to my set-off point and she too found it hard going. 

PS, neither of us fell in! 

Well done Peter. To help you out, but at the expense of adding to the "rights of way" argument that seems to have crept into the thread, there is (or was before lockdown) a new paddleboard in the showroom at Brundall Gardens which has a propeller pod underneath powered by rechargeable battery! Even more pointless and with ever more expense! I just wish I had invented the damn things; I've dreamt of inventing something really useful and making my fortune and now it seems I've been barking up the wrong tree! :facepalm:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I don't think anybody is questioning anyone else's right, everything so far has been about safety concerns.

Most definitely. Except I am questioning the right of a marshalll, whatever one of those is in terms of byelaws applicable to the Broads.

36 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I've dreamt of inventing something really useful and making my fortune and now it seems I've been barking up the wrong tree! :facepalm:

Perhaps a mast and sail, or a kite rather than an electric motor for paddle-boards? A trapeze would be good too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps a mast and sail, or a kite rather than an electric motor for paddle-boards? A trapeze would be good too.

Years ago, a very bright bloke came up with the idea of putting internal combustion engines in boats to save all that messing around with string and blankets. Ah well, you can only lead a horse to water....:default_rolleyes::default_icon_kiss:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hypothetical may be, but I wonder if they would allow paddle boarding on the Grand Canal in Venice.  I rather think not!  They don't even allow hire cruisers up there.

And I suppose this is my point.  The river between Horning and Wroxham is a similar crowded waterway where this sort of activity is not suitable.  Why wait for regulation, or a fatal accident, when the problem is staring us in the face.

There are plenty of other places for safe paddling.  How about the Trinity Broads, or Fritton Lake?  Why does it have to be Wroxham bridge?

• Like 6

personally i take a live and let live approach, and slow down so I create minimal wash when I pass them, as i do for other craft, swimmers, canoists and sailing boats (unless actively trying to pass a tacking yacht). it helps that any craft I am in is usually a very low wash type. but when I see craft like the speedboat at horning thread, creating huge wash it does worry me that a SUP might not be able to ride out the wash created.

• Like 3

We used to moor at Ely marina prior to moving to the Broads and during the latter part of our time there the fairly new owner of the marina  deemed it a good idea to  allow a new paddle boarding enterprise which was independent of the marina to use the estuary from the main river Gt. Ouse into the marina basin as a paddle boarding area. This was so dangerous, particularly when approaching the basin from up stream as you had to turn sharp right round narrow boats  moored 3 abreast on the corner of the estuary thus you didn't have sight of the estuary until you were virtually entering it. On the first occasion we encountered this situation being totally unaware of the arrangement, we found ourselves having just entered the estuary faced with 3  paddle boarders scattered in front of us plus one in the water. It was a very windy day and if we hadn't had thrusters both ends of our boat the outcome could have been very different. When we pointed out the perils to the chap running the show he shrugged and  told us that all we had to do was put our brakes on! Now why didn't we think of that!

Carole

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

There are plenty of other places for safe paddling.  How about the Trinity Broads, or Fritton Lake?

Couldn't agree more and to your list I would inevitably add Whitlingham Pits, all those waters are probably ideal plus but regretfully all are private waters. 

There appears to be the keen types and a growing number of very casual boarders who stop and start and head for the middle of a waterway.  The keen types are both able and largely sensible, aware of the hazards, but clearly in the minority.

I'm not good on my legs and fully expected to go swimming knowing full well that I could climb back aboard but not back into a standing position but what the heck, the water is warm! For self preservation I stayed close to the bank but I was very much of the stop and start school of thought! One thing is clear, paddle-boarding does require a degree of fitness and fit I am not! 

In the meantime both the BA's Navigation Committee and the NSBA might care to comment.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Couldn't agree more and to your list I would inevitably add Whitlingham Pits, all those waters are probably ideal plus but regretfully all are private waters.

DSC00118.thumb.jpg.af5aa3dc8213a1fbaa32ead814c1b59f.jpg

DSC00127.thumb.jpg.4cf2482ebdd00fb1807a04788613d435.jpg

So how about the Bure upstream of Coltishall lock?  Beautiful clear water, no motorised river traffic and easy road access from the Norwich Rd.

Or the Waveney, upstream of Geldeston, all the way to Bungay?

Or the Wensum upstream of New Mills in Norwich, right through to Taverham and Weston Longville?

Is there anything that says you can't paddle board in these places, where it would be a lovely experience?

Does it have to be in Horning or Wroxham?