The Perils Of Paddle Boarding

Vaughan

I see in the EDP that the Whitlingham Gravel Pits are now infected by blue-green algae and visitors are being warned about keeping out of the water.  This doesn't surprise me, as it is not what the EDP calls a "waterway" but simply an abandoned and flooded mine working with no thought of a connection to the tidal main river.  I am only surprised it hasn't happened several times before.  An "Environment Agency spokesman" is quoted as saying "We suspect this is blue-green algae".  So much for science, then. . . 

Which brings me to another question, since paddle boards are now selling like hot cakes and disappearing up all the little abandoned, non-tidal, partially stagnant inlets that they can find on the north rivers : How much "social distancing" is recommended to protect them from Weil's disease or botulism when they fall in the water?

After all, according to the BA, we are not supposed to swim on the Broads.

Are we?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The EDP,  The A Agency, paddle boarders and the BA all seeing the sharper side of Vaughan's post. This is a top grade post, and just the thing I have come to respect from him'

A really fine wine.

And a good vintage reply if I may say.

• Thanks 1

I did mention perils - in the plural - as safe navigation is another one.

I can't think what regatta racing will be like when it starts again, on Wroxham, Black Horse, or Oulton Broads.  If they were actually running the Diamond Jubilee Gold Cup race at Wroxham this year, what would it be like, with over 40 starters and the broad full of day trip paddle boarders?

I don't suppose they know much about the rule of the road and they don't keep to any side of the river, let alone the "right" one.

It is all very well for us to have a little discussion on the forum about it but it won't be so funny when the first paddle boarder gets driven under by a motor cruiser on the main river between Horning and Wroxham.

As usual, that will be when safety regulation comes in after a fatality or two. I think this is a dangerous thing to allow on a crowded waterway.

• Like 7

If there are regulations regarding paddleboarders and lifejackets they are not enforced very well. If there are not then there should be. The same could be said for swimming regs.

In the words of that well known phrase, or saying - Here's one I prepared earlier.

July 18th. to be precise, Salhouse Broad. They were swimming between our mooring in the far corner and the entrance, for some time. As I said in my holiday thread -

"Woke up to a nice day, and black shiny things moving around the water in the distance with orange bouys attached.

Are they shark warnings ?  Are they heck, just some nutters out for a swim, mistook elbows for fins. Probably normal around here and the buoys are presumably to let the boats know they are there. Does that work with the 10/12 year olds practising boat handling with dad ?"

Swimmers001a.jpg.cf42d9e3ab6e5df83636275a08742379.jpg

If the idea was to impress with their butch (?) antics they failed miserably. The general feeling amongst the small community of boats at our end of the broad was more along the lines of "I wonder what asylum they've escaped from ?".

But then our boat in particular had two crew who had already discovered how cold the water was !

The swan's opinion is not recorded.

I know it's not one of Vaughan's "little abandoned, non-tidal, partially stagnant inlets" but I suspect the thinking is similar. "Let's go for an early morning swim and b****er the boats starting up and moving towards the entrance"

Their clothes, and backpacks, were stuffed in the trees behind our boats. The buoys were presumably intended as an excuse should they be mown down by a passing cruiser. On ours you couldn't see the bow from the upper steering position, let alone what's underneath it.

And don't get me started on throwing sticks in the water for doggie to fetch, at Paddy's Lane, while standing next to a sign warning of Blue-Green Algae, and saying pets and humans should keep out of the water.......

Vaughans comments on safe navigation are indeed timely. I well remember watching BB's webcam, before our holiday, wherein NINE boarders were wending their way leisurely through Wroxham with not one lifejacket between them, strung out across the river. There was another occasion, on the holiday cottage camera, with EIGHT, and no lifejacket.

• Like 1

I take your point Vaughan, but the cure might be worse than the disease. This is going to sound odd but yes, we need to wait for some fatalities, and I do mean "some"

One is just a freak accident, two, so rare no action necessary. Only after half a dozen or so will people will start saying "won't someone do something about this", and that's where the problem will start.

Just WHO should do WHAT.

Try to ban paddle boards from areas where motor boats cruise and you have to define  "paddle boarding", "Motor boat" and "cruising area". 

I whack in some examples here just by way of illustration. The margins of Hickling broad. Does a sailing craft with an aux engine count as a motor boat? It's engine is more than capable of doing the damage we are worried about, and are often to be found near the margins.

Lying on a paddle board or similar and propelling yourself by hand. Is that "paddle boarding?

I could go on but I think point made.

The whole issue is similar to that of the rules for Covid. as soon as they were announced they were called "too vague" and people were trying to find ways to "unapply" those rules to them. The fact that those rules were put in place to protect the very individuals who were trying to avoid them held no weight. 

MotorBoater,

At my mooring on Hickling broad there is a paddleboard enterprise, and I have listened from time to time to the lecture given to those just starting out learning to paddleboard. One piece of advice I have repeatedly heard is "you don't need a lifejacket, in fact one would be a hinderance to you if you fall in." They have a line from their ankle to the board, that is effectively their 'lifejacket'.

I can sympathise with your view, but rather like my whine regarding motor-sailing, I think now, that the majority of my gripes are owing to my not understanding the subject I'm griping about.

40 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

I well remember watching BB's webcam, before our holiday, wherein NINE boarders were wending their way leisurely through Wroxham

Precisely.

And that is exactly where hundreds of day trippers who have never driven a day launch in their lives before, are let out from the boatyards, like fledglings "flying the nest".  How are they supposed to know on which side to pass a paddle boarder, standing there in the middle of the channel?

Actually, I don't think it's just dangerous - I think it is utterly ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Lying on a paddle board or similar and propelling yourself by hand. Is that "paddle boarding?

MM, I know you like a rhetorical question, so here's another :

Does a sailing vessel now give way to a paddle board?

Is the board a vessel "having difficulty in manoeuvring?

Is it a vessel "not under command"?

At least it is not a vessel "constrained by its draught"!

MM, for the record the webcam examples displayed no lifejackets OR ankle lines.

Paddleboarders I spoke to at Coltishall told me they were told  not to forget their lifejackets  and were using them with ankle lines. Their apparent leader believed there is no substitute for lifejackets.

If there is a difference of opinion within their community I suggest it needs to be sorted out. Given the popularity I find it difficult to believe there are no published solidified guidelines. If there are I haven't found them yet. Maybe what we have is groups following differing opinions. The evidence of my own eyes leads me to think none of them, as yet, suggest care near larger craft, only their sense of survival preserves them so far.

And yes MM I think it must be a vessel, I think I am right in saying BA charge a toll for them unless they are registered with the canoe association (I forget the name).

• Like 1

Vaughan has raised a valid point but we have to be careful what we wish for, namely restricting people's right to navigate. You restrict paddle boarders then who comes next?

I do wonder about liability in the case of any boat, paddle board or whatever, that is hired out. 

Sailboat racing on Oulton Broad is restricted at the moment but even so problems are apparently being encountered by those going out, e.g. paddle boarders falling off, possibly panicking,  literally in front of on coming boats, both sail and power.

One of the problems with paddle boarders mixing it with the conventional boats is their sheer unpredictability, e.g. when will it come to a sudden halt, especially when the boarder falls off?  

• Like 1

I do agree with Vaughan’s points about the risks involved with paddle boarding, but several of them apply to other craft as well. After all, you can capsize and catch wiell’s disease when canoeing.

There was some impressive windsurfing going on when we were at Oulton Broad almost a fortnight ago. The newer style windsurfing kit that has a plane underneath the board doesn’t half shift in a good breeze. Quite a few people falling off too, inevitably. I would have thought they as much at risk of colliding with other craft as paddle boarders, but wouldn’t dream of suggesting they shouldn’t be on the Broad.

I agree with Peter’s observation that we need to be careful about suggesting that other types of ‘craft’ be restricted. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

we have to be careful what we wish for, namely restricting people's right to navigate. You restrict paddle boarders then who comes next?

I appreciate that principle, which includes water skiers, whose sport is recognised and protected on the Broads.

But its potential danger and disturbance to others means that it is restricted to certain recognised waters. 

And those waters do not include the approaches to the bridge, in the centre of Wroxham, in August!

This is surely just asking for trouble?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

This is surely just asking for trouble?

It certainly is hence my question about liability. It does concern me because, like you, I do see an accident in the making. Those who hire paddle-boards may not directly cause an accident but they do provide the means.

• Like 3

I've been doing a bit of digging.

I wouldn't want to try and speak on anyone elses behalf but for me the issue isn't about restriction but accountability and conforming to Broads Byelaws.

For example, as I recall, the Broads has it's own rules on collisions and avoidance of them, established by parliament, detailing the actions and responsibilities of both parties.

If paddleboarders are following guidance from British Canoe they may be under the impression that so long as they give way to sailboats, and powered craft over 15metres, they can carry-on as they please regardless. That may be the case anywhere else but not, I think, on the Broads.

If the argument should be made that paddleboards are not specifically mentioned in the byelaws then that can be corrected by an order of the Secretary Of State, as provided for in the Broads Authority Act 2009, although the definition is pretty wide ranging already. The Navigation Byelaws have to be applied, one way or another.

The problem, as I see it, is that it wasn't seen as particularly important whilst there were a few enthusiasts about, but the "Sport" is starting to attract increasing numbers, many of whom seem to equate the responsibility to less than that of a lilo on the beach, and an accident must be the boat's fault, it's bigger.

Am I the only one to have seen a five year old paddling 30 ft behind her father ? At least she was wearing a jacket, the fathers reasoning when I spoke to him was that she was better at it than him.

No. I don't think it's about restriction, but a sense of regulation would certainly ease the mind.

Boatyards, The BA and various publications hammer away at the need for lifejackets on the deck of boats but apparently it's OK to disappear up "little abandoned, non-tidal, partially stagnant inlets" at will. How are emergency services supposed to find them let alone reach them.

Would it be possible to make it a requirement for paddleboarders, and canoeists, to wear a jacket on certain stretches of river and minor tributaries ? A start maybe, although I can see a problem with encouraging an "I'm all right now" attitude.

• Like 1

When we were awaiting the pilot to head upstream at Wroxham my wife got into conversation with an elderly (Well older than me) couple who said how nice it was to see someone wearing a lifejacket. Their son worked for an air ambulance and had already pulled four dead bodies from the rivers this year.

Obviously we don't know the circumstances but.... it happens people, it happens.

With all due respect to the seriousness of the thread, I sincerely hope that time will show paddle boarding to be a passing fad. I could understand the appeal of it, if it were considerably cheaper than canoeing but to me, it seems a thoroughly pointless waste of time and money. Apart from waterborne bacteria, I don't fancy the combination of tired legs and wash from a boat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, floydraser said:

With all due respect to the seriousness of the thread, I sincerely hope that time will show paddle boarding to be a passing fad. I could understand the appeal of it, if it were considerably cheaper than canoeing but to me, it seems a thoroughly pointless waste of time and money. Apart from waterborne bacteria, I don't fancy the combination of tired legs and wash from a boat.

I do hope so - some years ago I was a stretcher bearer moving the victim of a propeller/leg coming together from the safety boat to a waiting ambulance, his leg from the knee down followed in a bin bag! You can guess what goes through my mind whenever I see a SUP!

• Like 1

The broads should be restricted to boats, fisherman on the bank and the little craft like day boats. For me swimming in the broads is a no no(unless of course I fall in) so along with paddle boarding it should be kept to a confined area like a lake, as these two don't mix well with possibly intoxicated boaters.

I personally wouldn't like to swim in any river and any water sports that differ from what I think the broads should be used for, should be in a controlled area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I don't fancy the combination of tired legs and wash from a boat.

As one who at least tried it, I paddled from one end of Oulton Broad to the other this afternoon. Think I'll stick to my kayak in the future! Number three daughter paddled back to my set-off point and she too found it hard going. 

PS, neither of us fell in! 

3 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

If paddleboarders are following guidance from British Canoe they may be under the impression that so long as they give way to sailboats, and powered craft over 15metres, they can carry-on as they please regardless.

What clown came up with that one!? There are a hell of a lot of powered craft out there under 15 meters and not just on the Broads. More confusing than Boris's lockdown rules!

I may be in the minority here , but , The Broads are there for the enjoyment of us all , fishermen and women along the banks, those that cycle along the bridleways alongside the rivers , walkers on the footpaths , sailors in their flappy things , motor boaters hirers and privateers alike , canoeists and kayakers , rowers and yes paddle boarders.

The fact that some don’t approve of their chosen sport and leisure activity doesn’t reduce their right to also enjoy the Broads as we do 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2