The Perils Of Paddle Boarding

Vaughan

45 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

DSC00118.thumb.jpg.af5aa3dc8213a1fbaa32ead814c1b59f.jpg

DSC00127.thumb.jpg.4cf2482ebdd00fb1807a04788613d435.jpg

So how about the Bure upstream of Coltishall lock?  Beautiful clear water, no motorised river traffic and easy road access from the Norwich Rd.

Or the Waveney, upstream of Geldeston, all the way to Bungay?

Or the Wensum upstream of New Mills in Norwich, right through to Taverham and Weston Longville?

Is there anything that says you can't paddle board in these places, where it would be a lovely experience?

Does it have to be in Horning or Wroxham?

Used to canoe the Coltishall / Buxton stretch often when based at Colt. The gym even had Canadian Canoes you could take out for the day ( shooting the mill at Coltishall - great fun ! )

• Like 1

As a tidal waterway/haven the broads should be open to ALL within a set of rules, toll, and insurance liability if needed, but no one group should be restricted, well maybe with the exception of the flappy ones......

Insurance companies also need to grow a pair and tell uninsured people hurt by THEIR own stupidity to sod off and not just blame the bigger insured craft if they did nothing wrong instead of paying out "because it's cheaper than defending" .

Had a pair of Essex's finest at the end of my garden yesterday, Apart from the dreaded F word every other Effing word, at some volume, they were vaguely fun to watch and it was good to see them enjoying the Broad. One had a new board that cost him effing £400.00 notes, know what I mean, continually telling his mate that he should effing buy similar. They told me that they had come up from their cruiser that was moored at the Wherry Hotel and both were clearly struggling after half a mile or so of paddling, and cursing. One tied up to my mooring buoy, the other tied up to a neighbour's moored sailing boat before having a leisurely swim and lounge about. I suppose I could have been arsey about it but hey, it was a perfect summer's day and they were friendly, just rather loud, Essex style! The one who had the inflatable told be it was great because he could keep it in his bedroom and go boarding when he felt like it, which can't have been that often judging by the lack of stamina. Eventually they set off, one kneeling rather than standing, straight out into the middle of the Broad. I can see the attraction of it, not sure that I'll bother again.  One thing is clear though, guidelines are needed. I don't see sailing boats staying yards away, rather they will do what they always do, just miss! 

On 08/08/2020 at 13:19, YnysMon said:

There was some impressive windsurfing going on when we were at Oulton Broad almost a fortnight ago.

Indeed there was, great to watch, most impressive. The two boats were being used by folk who were clearly fit and knew what they were doing, can't say that of some of the paddle boarders. To drive a kite board as those two were needed both experience and ability, they could not have done what they were doing otherwise! By heck they could shift, 35 mph plus? if only I was fifty years younger!!

On 08/08/2020 at 09:31, Vaughan said:

I did mention perils - in the plural - as safe navigation is another one.

I can't think what regatta racing will be like when it starts again, on Wroxham, Black Horse, or Oulton Broads.  If they were actually running the Diamond Jubilee Gold Cup race at Wroxham this year, what would it be like, with over 40 starters and the broad full of day trip paddle boarders?

I don't suppose they know much about the rule of the road and they don't keep to any side of the river, let alone the "right" one.

I

Wroxham broad there won't be a problem, It's a private broad, the sailing club rents, any one else on that broad is by the clubs permission , they can just tell the paddle boarders to Bxxxxxx off.

Anywhere else????

The 15 metres rule is simply, the point at above which all craft are considered by inland waterways as "limited by their size  to manoeuvre "

So even in a

motor boat,     Broads reg 23 (1)(A)(ii)

Sailing boat Broads reg 24 (1) (A), 

You also have to give way to a boat of over 15m

Fun until you meet one in the dying light.

Moving along How Hill, low light conditions, Nav lights on.

See a flash of white, emerging at that bit at the end of the mooring that's reserved, thought it was a swan. It wasn't.

Turns out to be a lady cut down white shorts. Lucky I was creeping along at 3 knots or not? she may have heard me.

Fella behind her shouts, "what are you doing cruising at night?"

The Enemy replies using navy terms explaining we can.

one day there will be an accident, will boaters be made to pay?

• Like 1

I've been reading the thread with interest. What would members think to be suitable and relevant guidelines or regulations that could be introduced to protect paddle boarders on The Broads and still give them access to enjoy them? How would a suitable addition to the byelaws read?

The need to be visible. The reed edge makes great camouflage to a lot of colours. I notice the amount of dark clothing worn. 
on main drags stick to the rules of the water as regards to stay in on the right  
Make clear after dark you need a light a bit like a dingy light

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Timbo said:

How would a suitable addition to the byelaws read?

Does there need to be an addition though? Surely a paddle board is just a manually propelled vessel as per the current byelaws? Or have I missed something?

I do think there needs to be an emphasis made somehow that there are actually 'rules of the river' that ALL users should be aware of. Perhaps information boards at prominent places would be a start.

• Like 3

high vis vests would be a good start, and knowlegde of which side to flock to when a boat arrives, not just half to one side of the river and half to the other, that does make it tricky.

while we are at it, canoists that sit at the entrance blocking a bridge while tapping away on their mobile phones, i had that one yesterday going up to new mills in norwich, the bridge at the end of the yacht station, where it says no hire boats beyond this point I was stuck behind this canoist sitting across the bridge obstructing the navigation, a blart of the horn didnt even make him look up, and it was only when he spotted me drifting up behind him that he bothered to get out of the way, I guess he thought no hire boats = no boats.

10 hours ago, WherryNice said:

Does there need to be an addition though? Surely a paddle board is just a manually propelled vessel as per the current byelaws? Or have I missed something?

I do think there needs to be an emphasis made somehow that there are actually 'rules of the river' that ALL users should be aware of. Perhaps information boards at prominent places would be a start.

I think the problem lies with the SUP being a vessel that is much easier to fall off of and end up in the drink. Whilst it's not unique in that feature I think it does mean it should be addressed individually.

With you all the way and back when it comes to making all river users aware that the byelaws apply to everyone! It could also be said that people need it driving home that they're are in fact laws, not just guidelines or advice.