Who Is The Leccy Fairy?

Smoggy

Moored at reedham last night by the rangers office with a plug in, checked last night and had 30p left, this morning all 3 meters were up by a quid and only me plugged in.

Thanks very much, unplugged and left still at a quid but thanks all same.

I assume just unused cards, quay warden would have probably given money back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

quay warden would have probably given money back.

And probably legally required to do so. There are regulations covering the maximum resale price of electricity. I don't know how much per using a card works out at, but it would be interesting to calculate what the rate is when only half the card is used. If this works out as greater than the MRP, then selling a card for a fixed amount knowing only half of it can be used and offering no refund may fall foul of the regulations.

In the meantime, I'll be on the look out for the Leccy Fairy.

I would imagine that this is why the spare leccy is left on the post, for others to use, as this way someone is getting use of the full value of the card, you might pay for the card, but someone will use any leccy that you dont, its been paid for, if they cancelled any left after you unplug, that would fall foul of the regulations.

• Like 1

I agree someone is getting the full value, but not you. If you moved house, you would take a meter reading when you left, you wouldn't simply let the new tenant have electricity you had paid for! I think the regulations apply to what you are charged against what you use, not what is used by others. The values probably fall below de minimis levels anyway.

thats not how it works with the leccy posts though, you put £1 of leccy on the post, the post supplies £1 of leccy, it doesnt matter who uses it , the regulator just cares about the fact that for your £1 that amount of leccy is made available at the post.

I looked at the BAs webpage on electric posts yesterday. They have set the number of units of electricity that you get for £1 at 5.5 for this financial year.

Im also scratching my head at their list of locations with lecky. It includes Hardley Cross. We moored there briefly just a month ago and I don’t remember seeing any posts. Does anyone know whether they are intending to install some there? I think Iread elsewhere that the BA were intending to do some work to those mooring to improve them.

51 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

. Oh well. I'll just keep looking for the Leccy Fairy

The best Lecky fairy moment we've had was a few years ago at Dilham. We rocked up while the sparks were still commissioning the posts, when they'd done one called over "All good,you can plug in now. You'll not need a card for an hour or so." There was a fiver on the meter! We used our usual 40p on Kathy's CPAP overnight and went on our way rejoicing.

1 minute ago, stumpy said:

The best Lecky fairy moment we've had was a few years ago at Dilham. We rocked up while the sparks were still commissioning the posts, when they'd done one called over "All good,you can plug in now. You'll not need a card for an hour or so." There was a fiver on the meter! We used our usual 40p on Kathy's CPAP overnight and went on our way rejoicing.

Why does Dilham have two post with three outlets on each when the max number of boats you can fit is three.  

17 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Why does Dilham have two post with three outlets on each when the max number of boats you can fit is three.  

I agree it does seem overkill, but you could probably fit five boats at about 27ft each and I suppose if they only had 16amp leads, one of those still wouldn't be able to plug in.

Or it could be that BA are really forward thinking and have allowed for three boats with electric propulsion to recharge:default_dry:

4 hours ago, webntweb said:

I agree it does seem overkill, but you could probably fit five boats at about 27ft each and I suppose if they only had 16amp leads, one of those still wouldn't be able to plug in.

Easily. I've been there with 3 Bounty 27s, a 32' bathtub and the usual logjam of canoes down the bridge end.

Maybe I'm wrong but does it not roughly balance itself out over time? Sometimes there is no credit and we put a pound in and use 30p, other times we find there is credit which we will use. I would guess that over our 3 years cruising we have probably ended up slightly "up" i.e. used slightly more than we have paid for.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I still fail to understand why when all of these new posts were installed the payment method was not set up to the use of debit cards instead of the need to purchase electricity cards and the inherent expense involved in this .

Oh the security risks! Card reader anyone?

7 hours ago, Helian said:

Maybe I'm wrong but does it not roughly balance itself out over time? Sometimes there is no credit and we put a pound in and use 30p, other times we find there is credit which we will use. I would guess that over our 3 years cruising we have probably ended up slightly "up" i.e. used slightly more than we have paid for.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Pretty much the same here, we left 80p on the 32a socket at loddon.

On 05/09/2020 at 09:17, RS2021 said:

The post isn't buying or using the leccy you are

We looked into this a couple of years ago regarding a potential CL (small caravan site), the post is considered a reseller of electricity and as long as the unit charge being made is not more than that being charged by the supplier you are not committing any offence. You are at liberty to charge rental for the post, you can also levy a set charge for a specific time period, ie daily or weekly, as long you identify this facility charge and don't include it in the unit charge. Most caravan sites do this. 

As for refund on unused power for prepaid posts the £5 rule makes it irrelevant in most cases and in most cases the meters will not accept more than £5 credit. I think this is more generally aimed at protecting people with prepaid domestic meters