Moorings And Things.

MauriceMynah

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

There is a fly-over within yards of the marina. The local boy racers and hard boys delight in clearing their carbs as they scream over the bridge during the otherwise quiet hours. A great mooring, for deaf folk! 

Should've gone to Specsavers, its a bridge. They also do hearing aids as well.:default_rofl:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Should've gone to Specsavers, its a bridge. They also do hearing aids as well.:default_rofl:

Flyover definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

www.collinsdictionary.com › dictionary › flyover

Flyover definition: A flyover is a structure which carries one road over the top of another road. | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples

Not that it matters, other than to the pedantic, other definitions also quote a road crossing railway lines. The bridge crosses a canal, a tow path, a very minor road and a railway. :default_drinks:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No bow thruster but I don't think the length will be a problem for the trip down the dyke, apart from turning at the end. I have no idea what Oby dyke is like 

There is no problem.

The prevailing wind will usually be blowing across the dyke.  So all you have to do is turn your boat to leeward and stick the bow through the cabin window of a boat moored on the leeward bank, in order to hold your bow in place.

With the wheel hard over, continue in ahead gear until the stern has come round "across the wind".  Wait until the wind has blown you round far enough, back out of the other boat's window, select "opposite lock", go ahead and continue on your philanthropic way.

I believe there are some yards on the Broads who teach this manoeuvre on the trial run.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The local boy racers and hard boys delight in clearing their carbs as they scream over the bridge during the otherwise quiet hours. 

Carbs?? Are you reffering to those pesky Cortinas and Minis? :default_coat:

Or is it some disgusting practice to do with their digestive systems? :default_norty:

• Haha 1

Well, It'll be a phone call to OBYS tomorrow, and one to Wayford Bridge. I haven't been able to get through to Wayford and the guy I need to speak to at OBYS is back tomorrow.

South Walsham didn't get back to me as they said they would, and nobody else I've called seems to have any space. I take it I'm too big for Horning Yacht club!. Perhaps I could ask Mr Q.  :-)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

You won’t want to moor down Oby Dyke, I had trouble turning a 30ft yacht down there. 

Thanks for that. I had pretty much given up the dyke as such but was still interested in the new moorings that had opened up close by.

Just in case there's confusion here, by "OBYS" I mean Oulton Broad Yacht Station. It's looking more and more that I'm going to have to moor in southern waters. 

Something to bear in mind is that St Olaves Marina used to give a discount for people arriving part way through the mooring year. That might well still be the case and it's worth asking about. When I first arrived there I think I paid something equivalent to 5 months mooring fee for the remainder of the year which was 7 months. 

Guest Jayfire
13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

An e-mail from St Olaves. No spaces available! Hey ho!

What sort of numpty buys a boat before they have a mooring sorted for it anyway? I know I wouldn't ever do that :default_icon_liar:

:default_smiley-angelic002:

John, if you really get stuck I do have a vacant swinging mooring that you are welcome to use until you get sorted but you would need a dinghy. I would be surprised if OBYC can't help or at least advise.. Paul is the man. Both Beccles & OB allow residential boats to over-winter there.

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

John, if you really get stuck I do have a vacant swinging mooring that you are welcome to use until you get sorted but you would need a dinghy. I would be surprised if OBYC can't help or at least advise.. Paul is the man. Both Beccles & OB allow residential boats to over-winter there.

Thanks. I hope to get sorted but if I fail, I may well take you up on that. I was told that I needed to speak to "Bob" was I misinformed?

If you're going to moor southern Broads, how about Hippersons opposite Beccles YS, or Derby's Quay?. Then of course, there's Loddon, Greenaway Marine, Denny Walklins yard, or the old Aston yard, not sure of the name. Another one is Pearson Marine at Reedham opposite the top end of the New Cut.