Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

6 minutes ago, Spray said:

Hi Clive. Going back to my youth (probably 40 years ago!) I remember Poolcraft having their fleet with names ending in WAY and on looking at the database I notice Clearway was the name of one of their boats. Happy memories of holidays in Beccles around 1970 so well before you  were born !!

My father's favourite yard, many happy holidays on kingsway back in the 70,Medway, Queenseay were two of their other boats we hired. I believe I'm right in saying they closed the hire fleet down and went into something to do with electrical motors. Really nice friendly yard. 

I think you are right there Andy. After they sold their cruisers they carried on with day boat hire for a few years. I also remember they ran The Pickerel pub at the top of the boatyard before it got turned into a house.

34 minutes ago, Spray said:

I think you are right there Andy. After they sold their cruisers they carried on with day boat hire for a few years. I also remember they ran The Pickerel pub at the top of the boatyard before it got turned into a house.

Hippersons were also that side of the bridge back in them days. The last time I remember us using poolcraft was the year they built a bounty 37 can't remember it's name tho. Good memories indeed 

Well the picture they've used is of a Cygnet, but they've said it's called Kingfisher.

I'd imagine they're being added with the names they've got as the priority will surely be getting them into the fleet and on hire?

Will be interesting to see if any other WHS boats turn up in Hoveton...

11 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Well the picture they've used is of a Cygnet, but they've said it's called Kingfisher.

I'd imagine they're being added with the names they've got as the priority will surely be getting them into the fleet and on hire?

Hadn't noticed that but you are right.

This one is a Kingfisher:

https://www.leboat.co.uk/boats/kingfisher-whs

Odd that Barnes have taken the Kingfishers on as they are very similar to the Ladymore Class that they already have which are for sale.

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/inventory/?post=9529

14 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Le Boat took over the WHS fleet a few years back. The WHS fleet looked very tired when we saw them a few years back when we took Naughty-Cal up that way. I'm surprised Barnes are buying them and putting them straight in the fleet. They looked ready for some major refurb work!!

55 minutes ago, Cal said:

Le Boat took over the WHS fleet a few years back. The WHS fleet looked very tired when we saw them a few years back when we took Naughty-Cal up that way. I'm surprised Barnes are buying them and putting them straight in the fleet. They looked ready for some major refurb work!!

I hadn't heard they'd taken the base over fully from WHS.

But yeah, when they were running LeBoat stuff before you could see why their own boats were not being listed on the website. 

The LeBoat stuff was in noticeably better shape and was being given much more attention than the WHS boats (and that's back in 2007). They didn't have the facilities or staff to refurb boats on site, so 14 years in that climate won't have been kind to them.

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I hadn't heard they'd taken the base over fully from WHS.

But yeah, when they were running LeBoat stuff before you could see why their own boats were not being listed on the website. 

The LeBoat stuff was in noticeably better shape and was being given much more attention than the WHS boats (and that's back in 2007). They didn't have the facilities or staff to refurb boats on site, so 14 years in that climate won't have been kind to them.

No certainly not kind at all. We went on a few for drinks up while we were there and they were all very shabby. We certainly wouldn't have been happy had we hired any of them. I would have hoped that Barnes are going to give them a freshen up before hiring them out but that doesn't seem to be the case!!

I would imagine they were going cheap if they are in poor condition. I'm sure they will go through the shed before they are let. They could get 14 16 weeks hire out of them, then sell them on over the winter. At 1400 odd quid a week, could be a bit of shrewd business.Look at the state their ex Alphacraft boats were in when they brought them. Can't see either boats being long term fleet additions though. 

11 hours ago, oldgregg said:

There's also a "Braemore" 34 foot dual steer there. I'll try and get a photo when we pass again on Friday.

It's odd as Barnes have sold a few older boats so why are they now buying ones of a similar age?

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . . . . . It's odd as Barnes have sold a few older boats so why are they now buying ones of a similar age?

I’d guess that the boats they’re buying are at an advantageous price, will hire well through what will be a very busy summer and will provide stock for NBS at the end of the season, either having been refurbished, or sold off as they are.  If they don’t sell, they could be retained in the fleet next year, if there is the demand or remain on what is currently a very buoyant market.

I think it’ll be a win win situation for the yard

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’d guess that the boats they’re buying are at an advantageous price, will hire well through what will be a very busy summer and will provide stock for NBS at the end of the season, either having been refurbished, or sold off as they are.  If they don’t sell, they could be retained in the fleet next year, if there is the demand or remain on what is currently a very buoyant market.

I think it’ll be a win win situation for the yard

Exactly, good bit of business me thinks. I done a quick check on hoseason website and there is virtually no availability for boats across all waterways this summer. It's been said on TV this morning that after just a few weeks of allowing tourists from the UK  back in,Portugal may be put back on the government's red list. Overseas travel is such a changing and fluid situation, you really are taking a gamble when booking. There is still 20 weeks left of this season, you could raise the titanic and probably let that for 15 odd weeks after you'd tidy it up a bit 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, andyg said:

It sure doesn't look as bad as the bright orange ones on some of royalls old hire boats 😯 nice looking boat Clive. I'm guessing alpha done the original fit out as they used that circular shape galley entrance on some of there hire fleet. 

Hi Andy, 

Clearway was originally a Greenway Marine fit out, she then went to Kris Cruisers and came back to Norfolk a couple of years ago... 

With regard to the fit out and orientation of the bed, there are many different ways to build a boat and 90% of the time there is a compromise, this is why you can't please all the people all the time, the make up Double in the saloon is massive with no restricted foot room, I do understand the foot room thing, as I am slightly lanky but I wasn't going to miss out on a lovely boat as she only has a 6' mattress in the rear. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

Hi Andy, 

Clearway was originally a Greenway Marine fit out, she then went to Kris Cruisers and came back to Norfolk a couple of years ago... 

With regard to the fit out and orientation of the bed, there are many different ways to build a boat and 90% of the time there is a compromise, this is why you can't please all the people all the time, the make up Double in the saloon is massive with no restricted foot room, I do understand the foot room thing, as I am slightly lanky but I wasn't going to miss out on a lovely boat as she only has a 6' mattress in the rear. 

I remember seeing Paul's photos of her leaving Datchet, definitely a nice boat Clive. Coffin beds on boats are a nightmare in my opinion. Did you design suncharms interior, because for me the rear cabin and bed is spot on. Trying to please everyone, don't be daft lol...

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

There's also a "Braemore" 34 foot dual steer there. I'll try and get a photo when we pass again on Friday.

It's odd as Barnes have sold a few older boats so why are they now buying ones of a similar age?

They will have to rename that one. They already have a Braemore in their fleet!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

Hi Andy, 

I worked on that boat for several years but I never recognised it!  The upholstery and carpets have been changed and I'm sure the bath was white, last time on board was 2001 though!

Do you know what happened to the AF38 Chris sold at the same time, or do you have that tucked away somewhere?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NeilB said:

I worked on that boat for several years but I never recognised it!  The upholstery and carpets have been changed and I'm sure the bath was white, last time on board was 2001 though!

Do you know what happened to the AF38 Chris sold at the same time, or do you have that tucked away somewhere?

I'm sure Paul said they both came back to the broads, didn't they replace the one Clive has now got with a newer model. Built by haines I think. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Ah! I suspected we'd see some of those back here. Nice boats, shame there weren't more built for the Broads.

I think it's all about demand? There's lots of that at present...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Ah! I suspected we'd see some of those back here. Nice boats, shame there weren't more built for the Broads.

I think it's all about demand? There's lots of that at present...

You are right of course it is all about demand which has to make you wonder why Le Boat/WHS are selling them off. Surely there must be demand for the Caledonian as well?

We know from the motorhome groups that Scotland is a very popular place for people with vans to be visiting this year.

Two "curious" additions to Hoseasons database this morning - both Richardsons boats - links below. They are both basically "Broadsman" type boats, but one is for four people, the other for two people. I say curious because the biggest demand for boats across the summer, is for 6+ berth family boats. They were put on the Hoseasons system overnight, and as yet don't appear on Richardson's own site. I guess the names won't stick either. They look to have been made up by one or other of the parties. Currently, there are no deck plans. Perhaps they don't exist as yet?

Richardsons Viking 31
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/richardsons-viking-31-bh2700

Richardsons Haynes 32
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/richardsons-haynes-32-bh2699

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Two "curious" additions to Hoseasons database this morning - both Richardsons boats - links below. They are both basically "Broadsman" type boats, but one is for four people, the other for two people. I say curious because the biggest demand for boats across the summer, is for 6+ berth family boats. They were put on the Hoseasons system overnight, and as yet don't appear on Richardson's own site. I guess the names won't stick either. They look to have been made up by one or other of the parties. Currently, there are no deck plans. Perhaps they don't exist as yet?

Richardsons Viking 31
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/richardsons-viking-31-bh2700

Richardsons Haynes 32
https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/richardsons-haynes-32-bh2699

Im guessing the pictures are library pictures on the Hoseasons site. NBS have a Viking 31 for sale (31 ft single level Alpha hull):

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/inventory/?post=5933

And a Haines 32 is a sedan style cruiser.

https://www.hainesmarine.co.uk/the-range/32-sedan/

16 minutes ago, Cal said:

Im guessing the pictures are library pictures on the Hoseasons site. NBS have a Viking 31 for sale (31 ft single level Alpha hull):

Yes, I hadn't noticed the dimensions, just the images and assumed they were some variation on the Broadsman theme. The speed at which boats over the summer are booking, I think it very inadvisable for Hoseasons to display an image that probably has no resemblance to the actual boat. They probably are placeholder images as you said but by the time they are updated with the real thing, many bookings could have been made.

• Like 1

That's not very good is it David, quite misleading. I notice they have taken a booking on the viking already this morning. Hopefully it will be rectified quickly. Two very nice additions to richardsons fleet. I wonder what has happened to the new sedan mould that was produced. Put on the back burner I guess. 

3 hours ago, NeilB said:

If the AF38 your referring to is Lady Alexandra its on the Bure, I wont be more specific out of respect for the owners.

Fred

• Like 1