Lost Broads Pubs

webntweb

Don't know if this pic has been posted before.

I found it on: bygoneboozers@aol.com

There are quite a few old Broads pubs listed (with pics) as well as from other counties.

I asked permission to post the pic and link and Stewart, the chap who owns the website, says he will add some more when he gets the time; including the Wherry at Langley and the Swan at Gt Yarmouth.

The pic below is dated 1910.

Queen's Head New Cut Haddiscoe 2010.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

Don't know if this pic has been posted before.

I found it on: bygoneboozers@aol.com

There are quite a few old Broads pubs listed (with pics) as well as from other counties.

I asked permission to post the pic and link and Stewart, the chap who owns the website, says he will add some more when he gets the time; including the Wherry at Langley and the Swan at Gt Yarmouth.

The pic below is dated 1910.

Queen's Head New Cut Haddiscoe 2010.png

Greetings all.

I'm the guilty party! The actual post can be found here.

There's also one on the Stracey Arms and the Berney Arms. There may be other Broadland ones, but I can't remember offhand

Oh! Some might remember the Griffin at Thorpe St. Andrew. It suffered a little arson attack the other day.

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I had a look at that site, amazing number of pubs in Gt Yarmouth at one time!

My old hometown! Well, Gorleston actually. Miss the Broadlands having been in Derbyshire for the last forty-odd years. Still, living in a Peak District village isn't so bad – especially in the current circumstances.

If anyone fancies a look around the site it's at www.bygoneboozers.co.uk

Regards to all,

Stewart

• Thanks 2

Cheers for posting Stewart, I love the Art Deco pubs and happened to mention the Iron Duke on the Griffin thread, the photos on your site highlight why I think of it as exemplar. The fine details, particularly the falcons, really set the Lacons builds apart from the rest. I saw a pair adorning a grand driveway entrance somewhere I cycled past in North Norfolk but can’t recall where, obviously reclaimed.

I can’t remember the Links but then I didn’t grow up in Yarmouth, however I think because my parents went to school in Gorleston a trip to the seaside town rather than Norwich was often preferred, certainly coming in via Caister, sometimes with the bonus of a helicopter coming in to land or take off, swing past the racecourse and over the by then redundant rail bridge and inevitably stopping at the junction with North Drive, looking left at the Duke. That was back in the 70s, but when I worked in Yarmouth about ten years ago I drove in and out the same way just for old times sake. Yarmouth has some wonderful history and beauty to match, I can filter out the mistakes of the planners in more recent decades, they’re everywhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Bygoneboozerswonderful site Stewart. Best get started on Loughborough, we're really racking up closed boozers, usually for more student flats ironically!

I particularly enjoyed reading about the old Brit in Kegworth...it shows how much attention I pay as I head through Kegworth (even my tattooist is over there!) because I hadn't even realised it had closed!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

I saw a pair adorning a grand driveway entrance somewhere

Possibly nicked from the Iron Duke - I've an idea they've done a runner. I believe that there is a group hoping to restore it so hopefully it can be brought back.

The falcons are still around if you look - the excellent Butchers Arms in Beccles and the Barking Smack. :default_beerchug:

P1070017.JPG

DSC_5376.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just found my house... or to be more precise the foundations of my house, which is half built on the foundations of a listed pub on the website pub.. There is an error on the website as two roads have been  confused.

I have a concrete sign which was dug out of the garden, which may tie in with the old pub.. I also have some more details which will passed to the website when I've taken some pictures of the sign.. and a few fancy bits of terracotta .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The one pub I still often wish were still there is The Barton Angler (yes I know it was a hotel but it had a public bar )

Gayes staithe is still in my top three moorings and would be number 1 if the Angler were still trading 

Sadly I think that was a set up to fail, having been turfed out at 21:30, then later the change of use based on insufficient custom.....

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

I try to keep my address away from public sites in case I accidentally mention we're away

Fully understand and very wise, just curious! :default_biggrin:

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The one pub I still often wish were still there is The Barton Angler (yes I know it was a hotel but it had a public bar )

Yep, remember that one. Shame it's gone but at least the White Horse is not too far to stagger. Eagle gone too, good little pub. 

16 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I've posted these before but can't remember where. Included the afore mentioned Eagle. 

Bridge.jpg

Eagle.jpg

Ferry Inn Horning.jpg

Locks.jpg

Reedham Ferry Inn.jpg

Swan.jpg

Waveney Inn.jpg

Struggling with the ID of one of these, maybe two.

I think first is at Potter before the fire, then – hmmm? Is it the (bygone) Eagle at Neatishead? Third, Horning and then Geldeston and Reedham before returning to Horning. The last one is throwing me. Certainly never been in it, or probably even past it. Presumably it's on, or near the Waveney but it's not in Beccles. Aldeby maybe – but I don't think there were any pubs going there in my drinking life. Burgh St. Peter?

Please put me out of my misery, someone. :default_dunce:

Edited by Bygoneboozers
Forgot about Reedham!