Day Boats

Andrewcook

I think what Andrew is referring to is the increase in the numbers of dayboats  -  I saw the figures from last years tolls but cannot remember what the increase was! 

Not any surprise there especially, given the day rates, there are probably more profitable than some of the bigger boats. 

Purely short term of course, but last year - and likely this year, the demand for day boats wildly outstripped resources. The operators were so inundated that they routinely did not answer the phone once the day's boats were booked. That lasted from July to October. I know this from the number of people who called me in the mistaken belief that I was an agent for day boat hire as well as cruiser holidays. They expressed surprise that I'd answered the phone!

I am under the impression that there is a subtle difference between a day boat and a picnic boat. The former will hold four or five, no toilet, gas or water. The picnic boat has all these facilities. However this comes at a price. Approximately £260 for seven hours.

The picnic boat will hold 10 people. 

For some it may well be the first time they have had control of a boat or indeed been responsible for such a large number of people with limited experience, families in many instances with a vast range of ages and abilities.

The trial run will be limited.

7 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

all mod cons including a toilet

Not that the toilet was very nice to use on the two boats we had, both from different yards. Shame they don’t seem to get cleaned out every day. Or perhaps they will have to be given all the precautions needed at the moment. 

I see that Richardson’s are advertising day boats for day trippers from 29th March. 

9 hours ago, Wussername said:

Practice makes perfect . I find side mooring not a problem the stern on mooring is a challenge. Somewhat unpredictable.

I've found it quite 'interesting' handling a day boat after being on a cruiser for a week. The steering is so much lighter, takes a bit of getting used to. Throw in an electric day boat with some flat spots on the throttle control and a beer in the Pleasure Boat.........:default_norty: 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 11:26, Wussername said:

I am under the impression that there is a subtle difference between a day boat and a picnic boat. The former will hold four or five, no toilet, gas or water. The picnic boat has all these facilities. However this comes at a price. Approximately £260 for seven hours.

The picnic boat will hold 10 people. 

For some it may well be the first time they have had control of a boat or indeed been responsible for such a large number of people with limited experience, families in many instances with a vast range of ages and abilities.

The trial run will be limited.

Different terms mean different things to different operators.

In general:

day boat is a small boat with some kind of retractable cover with an engine or motor and can hold up to 12 people depending on size and stability testing. 

A Picnic Boat is generally larger than a day boat can take up to 12 people and would be expected to have hot & cold water, a loo and some kind of food prep area including a hob and maybe even a fridge. 

When Freedom had boats, we had a Picnic Cruiser class too which was a smaller holiday cruiser let for the day. Trial Runs were NEVER limited though I can't comment on other operators. 

If you're Thorpe Island Boats, hiring their Picnic Boat gets you a dinghy with an outboard. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WherryNice said:

Barnes are hiring Encore and Serenade(Elite range cruisers in case you don't know) out for day hire between 29th March and 11th April! Quite pricey but they make one hell of a dayboat!

Looks like Barnes have wisely decided to follow the Governments advice rather than the BA's advice then, unless they are expecting plenty of pent up demand just from the residents of Wroxham and Hoveton!!!!

• Like 1

The locals are never happy!

They forget that many people rely on people flocking in, so to speak, and that these people are many others livelihood!

No doubt he EDP will be full of such stories but they are only to be expected - bit like last summer using "stock" pictures of crowded beaches giving the wrong impression - no evidence at all that these people will either have coronavirus nor spread it.

We cannot live on handouts forever!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, marshman said:

The locals are never happy!

They forget that many people rely on people flocking in, so to speak, and that these people are many others livelihood!

No doubt he EDP will be full of such stories but they are only to be expected - bit like last summer using "stock" pictures of crowded beaches giving the wrong impression - no evidence at all that these people will either have coronavirus nor spread it.

We cannot live on handouts forever!!

Next people will be moaning about the prices of hiring going up! :default_norty:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

I know I swear when I’m in the middle of a swarm of day boats playing mad max but it’s nice to see the place living, earning for the locals and spreading the word. 
Just don’t hit my boat!

The day boat is an innocuous thing. Crewed by people of little or no knowledge of boats, indeed, even the one that they are in. 

I have been in one. Driven one. I can only remember it as one of the most uncomfortable experience I have ever paid for. Never again. For others, a one off, a bit of a laugh. And that defines the bit of it. They I suspect, had a wonderful time, but never to return. 

Thankfully they do not travel far.