How Much????

DAVIDH

Well, we've been warned that a holiday in the UK is going to cost more this year. I wish I could remember how much these boats went for last year to compare, but £3,146 for a week in August, does seem really expensive. It's a wonderful boat, can take up to 8 people and I don't think it will be available long (it went back on sale from a cancellation a few days ago). But for that price, you could get a luxury standard apartment abroad somewhere and still have change (regulations permitting of course). It's definitely a UK accommodation seller's market this year, and I don't blame them for making hay while the sun shines, but I don't think those prices will wash next year. I just hope they don't leave an impression that a week on the Broads is not value for money.

commodore.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Well, we've been warned that a holiday in the UK is going to cost more this year. I wish I could remember how much these boats went for last year to compare, but £3,146 for a week in August, does seem really expensive. It's a wonderful boat, can take up to 8 people and I don't think it will be available long (it went back on sale from a cancellation a few days ago). But for that price, you could get a luxury standard apartment abroad somewhere and still have change (regulations permitting of course). It's definitely a UK accommodation seller's market this year, and I don't blame them for making hay while the sun shines, but I don't think those prices will wash next year. I just hope they don't leave an impression that a week on the Broads is not value for money.

commodore.jpg

Only one thing to say here - ouch!

Rather think that the market is heading upwards, lead by Barnes. Fine, I don't have a problem with that. The 'luxury' market is there to be tapped. Problem, as I see it, is that folk who hire one of these super, deluxe boats will expect the same from on-shore facilities, especially with mooring availability. Will they want to mingle with us mere minions?  Regretfully I see the Broads as a whole heading  away from mass holidays, even mass boat ownership.  Totally at odds with the kiss-me quick, pirates and stag party image that has long been Richardsons. One extreme to the other! 

• Like 4

The lack of moorings in August is what I believe will sour the taste of those paying for these luxury boats. They tend to be the larger craft, and as such are harder to find space to moor up. August sells out each school holiday, so it's not a Covid thing. Provision needs to be made for the masses that arrive each summer school holiday. Do you know, I'm surprised someone hasn't set aside part of their moorings for such boats. They would be fee-payable, reservable, with added amenities and have water and pump out facilities close to hand. 

For some years, up to and including 2018, we'd been taking self catering holidays through Eurocamp in Southern France.  We stayed on a site in a mobile home in 2016, very near the Gorge du Verdon in Provence where a two bedroom, well equipped mobile home for 13 nights at the end of June, including the cost of putting our car on Eurotunnel for both the outward and return journeys and the additional charges for our dog, was less than £850.  The site was well equipped, with a pool complex, bar and shop.  
Although not in peak season, compare that with the cost of hiring a 4 berth cruiser for the same period and it is immediately obvious which represents best value for money, especially taking into consideration the cost of eating out in France against the UK.

Little wonder shares in syndicate craft were in such high demand last year and will probably be again this.

10 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't set aside part of their moorings for such boats. They would be fee-payable, reservable, with added amenities and have water and pump out facilities close to hand. 

Such as Tingdene could provide suitable visitor moorings but I rather suspect that they would rather have a twelve month customer rather than the hassle of daily lets. With the loss of so many yards the old reciprocal mooring agreement is of little value. Perhaps the bigger yards could buy up moorings, if they could, or perhaps take out twelve month leases at marinas. I don't see any easy answer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotDeadYet said:

I hope this semi-understandable pricing escalation is not taken up by the food and especially beverage outlets. :default_beerchug:

I doubt it, they already know that a lot of hirers tend to eat and drink on board these days so they won't want to scare off those that still use the pubs.

50% markup on a meal and drinks is far more than 300% markup on nothing.

• Like 2

I don't think they would dare to ! The lockdown has highlighted to the regular pub gowers just how much money they spent there. They have got used to drinking at home from supermarket supplies. The pubs could very easily price themselves out of existence. I think they're smarter than that!

• Like 3

Just looking at the Richardsons 2019 brochure price was £2,506 therefore a rise of 25.54% over 2 years. I suspect it is supply and demand however almost certainly unsustainable once the foreign holidays open up again plus Brexit and covid hits the economy. 

Neil

Has anyone on here hired one of Richardson's new boats like these?  To me they have always seemed to look good, but I'm not sure about their practicalities. I moored next to one once and saw that the occupants had to stand up to see out of the boat and enjoy the view. They look as if they are great on top when the weather is good, but have no view when its raining. Wondering if anyone has been on them and can confirm if this is right or not?

£3146 is not far off what it used to cost us to keep an 8 Berth boat moored & tolled on the Broads for use all year round, purchase price aside of course. 

Commodore looks a decent boat but it doesn’t represent good value to me.  Its Norfolk not Monte Carlo. 

If the hire yards intend to claw back covid’s losses over the next few years by increasing overall prices Broads holidays may well become less attractive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Has anyone on here hired one of Richardson's new boats like these?  To me they have always seemed to look good, but I'm not sure about their practicalities. I moored next to one once and saw that the occupants had to stand up to see out of the boat and enjoy the view. They look as if they are great on top when the weather is good, but have no view when its raining. Wondering if anyone has been on them and can confirm if this is right or not?

Broadsman. great boat, modern tech coupled with electrics and a total lack of wardrobe space and those little Knick knack cubby holes.

And those showers that wets the floor for ages so you get wet feet every time you use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Nice review of Commodore. I've been onboard one. Lovely boat. Like the bow and stern thrusters.

Looking at this review I think the sleeping accommodation looks great and if the weather is good the upper deck is fantastic, but I don't think I'd like to be on board in the saloon and lower steering position if the weather was inclement. It all feels cramped and closed in. For the price I'd expect much better design than this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RS2021 said:

Yes, we hired Commander in 2018, probably our last hire, as we purchased a boat later that year. She is a beautiful craft, great visibility down below at helm position though not so good for any seated crew, great sun deck and even has touch screen heating controls in each cabin. An ideal size for just the 2 of us!!

What so often surprises me though, is watching people trying to manoeuvre these boats and keep shunting backwards and forwards, when there is one boat shaped knob to control both bow and stern thrusters, which makes it all so simple. 

We really enjoyed the boat and would recommend her. We didn't pay anything like the current rate, but my wife doesn't like flying, but loves the broads, so no more expensive that a cheap foreign holiday.

• Thanks 1