Southern Broads

Andrewcook

We have been visitors to the Broads since I was a nipper with my parents and generally we would hire from Ernest Collins or Jack Powles boatyards in Wroxham and we spent many days looking through the maps to plan our journey which invariably meant heading south and I recall mooring stern on at Waveney River Centre, on the main river where they now moor their day boats and getting caught up on the quay heading and having to give her a bit of a bounce and a shove to get her free!

I was only about 12 year old at the time and my dad was giving the instructions!

I recall nights in Norwich, trips to Oulton Broads and Beccles and one of my parents favourite stops, being the moorings at the Bell Inn at St Olaves!

I have a sister and a brother and my sister has never visited the broads since we have "grown up" but my brother is a regular visitor

I still travel north and south often and I thoroughly enjoy the experience, I love the north and I love the south. They are different, but both have their appeal to me, but there is a difference between brothers

My brother has never visited the south as an adult and has always stayed "up norf"

Why? I dont even think he knows, but he always wants to maximise his visit and will try to get round many places as he can, doesnt really care for Great Yarmouth (as we have Blackpool up north!) and just loves short journeys from one place to another, doesnt really spend a lot of time boating, as the majority of the time he is mudweighting or moored up either taking in the surroundings or going for walks, visiting the local area or the pubs and restaurants. In truth I dont think he feels the time taken to travel between Stokesby and Reedham or St Olaves is worth it for him and his family as he sees this as "dead ground" and wasted time.

So Breydon isnt always the issue though

As a positive though my brother and sister in law are accompanying us week commencing 29th May on Moonlight Shadow and we are fixing up an itinerary of southern venues to visit where hopefully he will see the error in his ways and maybe the "dead ground" may come alive for him and give him the incentive to make the journey in future

• Like 4

On 16/03/2021 at 11:06, Andrewcook said:

Why are Boat Yards in the Southern Boat Yards are Deminishing ? Such as Oulton Broad with Hampton Boats and One other./ Norwich Jenner's and one other / Reedham Arrow Boats and other. Is it because of lack of Mornings or places of interest one other that is very Tidal ? As the Norther Broads gets very over crowed at times I believe?

This isn't new. Indeed, the yards you mention closed decades ago. 

The south doesn't have the eye-candy of the North. Its often been seen as the poor relation to the North. That's fine by me 'cos its also a lot quieter, even in busy times and that's won't improve now with the loss of Freedom already and Sandersons at the end of this season. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

This isn't new. Indeed, the yards you mention closed decades ago. 

The south doesn't have the eye-candy of the North. Its often been seen as the poor relation to the North. That's fine by me 'cos its also a lot quieter, even in busy times and that's won't improve now with the loss of Freedom already and Sandersons at the end of this season. 

I love the Southern Broads and have spent more time there than the North. Due to Maffetts no longer hiring we now use a Northern boatyard as a base so might not get down as often.

Everytime I go north in summer by the first evenings mooring I can't wait to head back south (mainly because I like to moor near a pub), a good season to me is one where I don't go on the northern rivers at all as it means the weather has been good enough to get out to sea.

I just find the northern rivers stressful in summer.

Peter, it will probably only be an occasional thing. I'm now living in Spain and working as a Yachtmaster Instructor in Gibraltar, 

Robin - Gibraltar - Love the place visited many times also lived there for a year 80 - 81, then again 97 - 2000.

It is where I did my RYA training right up to powerboat Instructor, also passed my unlimited motorcycle tests there too and many other adventures

It is on our list of places to visit after lockdown, probably not this year but hopefully next year.  We still have many friends on 'The Rock' Can I add you to that list? See you next year I hope

Griff

Hopefully The Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle will survive the lockdowns. Apart from a rather grumpy landlord a few years ago who I am sure has moved on I have always had a good welcome there. The building is a bit strange for a pub which I liken to the Norada at Potter Heigham I have always had a good beer there and a good meal. On a warm evening it is wonderful to sit on the veranda and look out over the marshes watching the sunset and the Marsh Harriers wheeling around. There used to be a little shop there too selling essentials which was quite handy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Peter, it will probably only be an occasional thing. I'm now living in Spain and working as a Yachtmaster Instructor in Gibraltar, 

Robin - Gibraltar - Love the place visited many times also lived there for a year 80 - 81, then again 97 - 2000.

Griff

My late father as well as being stationed there during WW2 used to have some business interests and real estate on the island  . We used to have to prove those interests for us to be able to drive from the mainland to Gib across the causeway pre common market days as the Spanish border control were anti - British occupation .

I remember my father receiving a questionnaire (as a resident) enquiring if he wished to be under U.K. or Spanish rule he replied that he had no objection to the Rock being returned to Spain as long as the Canary’s were returned to Morocco , surprisingly no response was received .

My late father as well as being stationed there during WW2 used to have some business interests and real estate on the island. 

Erm - it ain't no island, it's a peninsula 

as the Spanish border control were anti - British occupation .

They still are

Griff

49 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

My late father as well as being stationed there during WW2 used to have some business interests and real estate on the island. 

Erm - it ain't no island, it's a peninsula 

as the Spanish border control were anti - British occupation .

They still are

Griff

Agreed on both points , but residents still refer to it as an island due to fact that for years the only way U.K. visitors could access it was either by air or sea , until Spain permitted the crossing of the causeway 

8 hours ago, ES2 said:

Hopefully The Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle will survive the lockdowns. Apart from a rather grumpy landlord a few years ago who I am sure has moved on I have always had a good welcome there.

That sounds like John, yes he's gone and Joe (it's a nickname not his real name) now runs it and is doing a good job, well worth a visit so I too hope it re-opens ok, got a good outside area so the chances for april are good.

• Like 1

Must be 2 years since I've been able to get in but the guy I chatted to was certainly not grumpy and seemed very on the ball. If it is him then I'm sure he'll do well if he's survived this. 

His Timothy Taylors Landlord was some of the best I'd tried for a while and I told him so. 

We visited ,by road, in early 2020 it had just had a makeover , had the feel of a social club as opposed to a village pub and a limited selection of drinks.

I settled on a Guinness and Kate and I had I think scampi and chips , very clean and friendly deserves to do well.

We did spend a while in the garden area watching the movement on the river and did comment that we wouldn’t feel comfortable mooring there as their moorings were sadly lacking maintenance , maybe by now that had been corrected .

Guest Jayfire
10 hours ago, ES2 said:

Hopefully The Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle will survive the lockdowns

It's looking like it has so far as they have advertised this month for their American Day event booked in for May and the Water Rats Jazz Band in August so they are at least planning for post lockdown :default_beerchug:

12 hours ago, ES2 said:

Hopefully The Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle will survive the lockdowns. Apart from a rather grumpy landlord a few years ago who I am sure has moved on I have always had a good welcome there. The building is a bit strange for a pub which I liken to the Norada at Potter Heigham I have always had a good beer there and a good meal. On a warm evening it is wonderful to sit on the veranda and look out over the marshes watching the sunset and the Marsh Harriers wheeling around. There used to be a little shop there too selling essentials which was quite handy. 

We really like the Fisherman's Inn. I first went in there when we moored up outside in December 2018, having just taken delivery of our first Broads Cruiser, purchased at Brundall. It had only just reopened after refurbishment. We were made very welcome by the Landlord and the Log burner on that cold evening. Food and beer excellent. Last summer we enjoyed the garden too with it's great views of the river and the start of Breydon.

• Like 1

I personally can't see any reason why a yard offering a good range of quality boats and good service couldn't succeed on the southen broads. Both silverline and brooms do very well. Dont forget up until a few years ago brooms had been out of the hire market for quite some years, just look and see how their fleet has grown. I think I'm right in saying Swan craft didn't close because of a lack of custom but a change in direction at the yard, away from the hire market. Alpha craft just seem to loose direction, but we're still a popular hire yard. I think the WRC attempt at hiring boats was half hearted and they were overpriced for what was on offer tbf. Just needs someone with a mountain of money to burn and nerves of steel to get it going.... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Although one of them might want to relocate a staff member to a non customer facing role going by customer reviews left last year and the experiance expressed by a forum member.

Never take much notice of reviews, I think you always have to look at the bigger picture. They have a huge amount of repeat customers and a fleet that books very well year in year out. That in its self speaks volumes and far outweighs the odd bad review. Everyone has the odd bad day at work it happens, doesn't make it right but that's life. 

• Like 2

Few points - there is a lot of official help in the South from the Quay Rangers at GY Reedham & Norwich plus the Harbour Masters at Beccles & Oulton Broad & I'm sure someone at WRC can provide info.

Reedham was full most nights last summer ( mostly hire craft on weekdays) Single mooring was a bit of a restraint. There were a couple of weeks that crossing times were not helpful when there were clearly less visitors.

I spent my last 4 Mon- Fri Hires on the South & found plenty to do.

What I have noticed having missed the initial stages of the 20 year bank heightening both South & North is the loss of view especially if in a low craft or bathtub

On 17/03/2021 at 20:05, BroadAmbition said:

We still have many friends on 'The Rock' Can I add you to that list?

Griff, of course you can! It would be great to meet you in Gib for a beer or three. You never know, if circumstances permitted I might be able to arrange a sail across the Strait to Ceuta.