October Boat (lack Of) Availability!

750XL

45 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Winter pjs, hot water bottle and a good sleeping bag. I would never consider leaving the heating on overnight. 

We use all of the above but out of season if on shore power we use a lower wattage oil filled radiator in the galley to keep the boat aired overnight.

• Like 2

as water rail has no heating, in may this year it was quite cold (down to freezing some nights), I did purchase 2 500W heaters that just plug directly into a socket on board, one of these last easily overnight on a single electric card on shore power, but otherwise a good sleeping bag does the trick to stay warm (i did wear a hat though as that is an area you can lose heat).

Just another quick question, if I may? 

Reported air draft of the boat we've hired is 6ft 5", and as we're going in October I guess going under Potter will be a no-go? We went the same time last year and there was exceptionally high waters all week. A lot of boats couldn't even get under Ludham.

However, should Wroxham be do-able? Various online resources all give differing bridge heights and I was wondering if anybody can take a guesstimate, given the (probably) predictably miserable October weather.

Never been through the bridge as we've always had 'big' boats.

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Just another quick question, if I may? 

Reported air draft of the boat we've hired is 6ft 5", and as we're going in October I guess going under Potter will be a no-go? We went the same time last year and there was exceptionally high waters all week. A lot of boats couldn't even get under Ludham.

However, should Wroxham be do-able? Various online resources all give differing bridge heights and I was wondering if anybody can take a guesstimate, given the (probably) predictably miserable October weather.

Never been through the bridge as we've always had 'big' boats.

Thanks! 

With the exception of the boats from Martham, there are few hire boats that will regularly pass under Potter bridge.  I would think that Wroxham is possible through October, as long as there are no extremes of weather, but you would need to pay attention the forecast to make sure that you can get back under.  It’s worth going through if you can, though as it’s a quiet, pretty stretch of river to Coltishall and the locks.

Thanks for the replies. We've pretty much written off Potter anyway, too much stress and hassle I think!

Will give upstream of Wroxham and Wayford a go then if the water levels allow, never been upstream of those 2 bridges and we've got plenty of time (11 nights). Maybe even catch a few fishes...

• Like 1

Hopefully the Wroxham bridge pilot will still be available in October. I’m guessing they operate the service until after half term. But we always seem to get high river levels then and haven’t made it up to Coltishall since our one summer visit in the 90s. Most other times of year I can’t be doing with the traffic in Wroxham. And March is too early. 

• 2 weeks later...