October Boat (lack Of) Availability!

750XL

Hi all, just a bit of a moan from me to get it off my chest as the other half is sick of it now I think!

We wanted to visit the Broads again for 7 or 10 nights in October, just the 2 of us so only a small boat required with a budget of £1000 ish!

We've previously hired Brinks Duet which was good for the price (£600 ish maybe) and last October had a week onboard Waveney Pegasus (£900 ish), which had a few issues, but didn't ruin the holiday. High tides and an air draft of 8ft 10" or so stopped us going where we wanted past Ludham.

Been looking at every website I can think of the past week and can't seem to find a reasonable boat for just the 2 of us in October. Few cheap Richardsons bath tubs going, but not sure we fancy the cold/rain/damp of October in one. There's some 'nicer' boats like the new Richardsons Haines 32 which isn't that far from Waveney Pegasus we had last year but over £1400 for a week.... gulp!

I'm now sulking we're probably not able to go on the Broads in October. 

• Sad 2

We're a bit weary of hiring a 'sliding canopy' in October, have read lots of reviews on them being drafty, leaky etc.

Tho perhaps, of course, I'm totally wrong! Prince of Light looks nice, hadn't seen that one in my searches before for some reason.

8 minutes ago, 750XL said:

We're a bit weary of hiring a 'sliding canopy' in October, have read lots of reviews on them being drafty, leaky etc.

Tho perhaps, of course, I'm totally wrong! Prince of Light looks nice, hadn't seen that one in my searches before for some reason.

We have hired the sliding roof type boats in October and found that the roofs could be drafty but that was easily fixed with a length of pipe lagging.

• Like 2

We hired Fair Regent twice. I think we did March and October, definitely well out of season anyway. Lovely boat, very comfortable and we were plenty warm enough. Great boat for two. We chose it because of the island bed and largish fridge. Loved the bath too! 

5 hours ago, 750XL said:

There's some 'nicer' boats like the new Richardsons Haines 32 which isn't that far from Waveney Pegasus we had last year but over £1400 for a week.... gulp!

I don't think Pegasus and a Haines 32 are comparable really. 

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/vogue-27/

In the crazy market where boats sell within days, this still hasn't found a home.....

The Haines will be lovely. Pricey but what a boat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlesa said:

Martham appear to have loads:

https://www.marthamboats.com/hire

Mainly centre cockpit but those are the ones I like best !

I think the other half would kill me if I booked something that 'old' :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Almost every year that we have hired in October, the water levels have been high. That has kept us unable to get up the Ant on a number of occasions. That's when forward steer boats come into their own.

We made it up the Ant on Brinks Duet (8ft 6"?) without a problem in April the other year, in fact looking back, I don't think I even checked the height! Just whizzed through as a first timer without a second thought:default_jumelles:. We couldn't get anywhere near on Pegasus last year in October '20, think the boat was 8ft 10" ish, and only about 7ft 6" was available under the bridge.

2 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

We hired Mayfair from Maycraft in May when it was cold. Heating worked a treat and was toasty warm. Small Hampton Safari, but well priced and good boat. Not really drafty at all. 

I looked at this, does look interesting - but again, think my partner would kill me if I booked it.

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I don't think Pegasus and a Haines 32 are comparable really. 

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/vogue-27/

In the crazy market where boats sell within days, this still hasn't found a home.....

The Haines will be lovely. Pricey but what a boat.

That's a fair point, perhaps one day if the bank balance allows :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Been looking at a few of the Brooms boats, again a bit pricey but they look great! Stopped in for a pump out last year and the guys were very friendly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tyna said:

How about Prince of Light from 16th Oct, 7 days @ £627. Newish, compact boat ideal for two.

We loved your suggestion and have just booked Prince of Light for 11 nights in October for just less than £1000 all in. Very excited :) 

need to order a Broads map now! Any recommendations?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Those Heron maps are really good imho, we always keep a copy onboard

Griff

Couldn’t agree more! Bought one of those last week from the shop at Ranworth and using it to work out our itinerary for the week when we come over in September.

Chris

8 hours ago, 750XL said:

Been looking at a few of the Brooms boats, again a bit pricey but they look great! Stopped in for a pump out last year and the guys were very friendly.

Yes Brooms boats are lovely,  tip - bring your own duvet or sleeping bag and also your own parking space from home.   Edited to say ,   the reason I say bring your own duvet or sleeping bag is, Brooms provide a blue thing , and that the only way I can describe it,  supposedly Covid friendly duvet as far as laundering is concerned but absolutely no warmth in it what so ever.

6 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When you collect your boat it should have a copy of the Broadcaster onboard which has a simplified map as indeed does HW’s Captains manual , if you wish for something more detailed then the below is very good 

0F312B2C-84C5-4DC5-84E6-C843AD6A0D0E.jpeg

It's the best map I've found, enough detail without it becoming cluttered and difficult to read

I bought a laminated copy online direct from Heron a few years ago for not a lot more money, the other ones had more sellotape on them than paper!

Would have used it again this year but I forgot to pack it, doh!

We bought the paper version from Herbert Woods when we had a pump out!

Only £4, which was very good

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Laminated copy?

New item on the shopping list for me then - thanks 

Griff

We got our waterproof copy from the little BA shop at Beccles YS four or five years ago - may still be stocked although no mention of Notional Parks so maybe not. 

Funnily enough, those Heron maps are sold out everywhere online at the moment it seems (there’s one on eBay for £98…!)

Got an old tatty one with a few coffee/beer/wine stains stashed away in the cupboard at my home in Manchester I’ll have to rescue next week. 

First time hiring with Herbert Woods but Prince of Light looks like a modest little boat. Hopefully the heating works okay then we’re happy. Tucked away in a few wild moorings for the week… hopelessly trying to catch some fish, again!

3 hours ago, Captain said:

Hi,

Herbert Woods used to provide a decent quality map (2011  and 13) with each booking I presume from the comments on here that may no longer be the case if anyone or Woods could confirm.

Neil

I acquired a few Herbert Woods maps last year and they are price marked £4.