October Boat (lack Of) Availability!

750XL

May I ask peoples opinions on the usage of warm air heating overnight?

I won't name the boatyards, but during our first out of season trip on another boat during the handover we were told it's fine to leave the diesel warm air heating on overnight no problem at all.

Another year at a different boatyard we were told the electric warm air heating should only be used for brief periods, and not left on overnight. 

What are the pros and cons to leaving the warm air heating on overnight?

17 minutes ago, 750XL said:

May I ask peoples opinions on the usage of warm air heating overnight?

I won't name the boatyards, but during our first out of season trip on another boat during the handover we were told it's fine to leave the diesel warm air heating on overnight no problem at all.

Another year at a different boatyard we were told the electric warm air heating should only be used for brief periods, and not left on overnight. 

What are the pros and cons to leaving the warm air heating on overnight?

You mention two different systems (?).

1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

You mention two different systems (?).

These were 2 different experiences from 2 different yards

I believe one was a Webasto(sp) diesel heater? Which was very warm

The other was an electric heating system, which wasn't very warm.

• Like 1

I wouldn't leave it on overnight.

As others have said, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for exhaust gases to end up in the ducting if something goes wrong.

There have been many high-profile incidents over the years involving CO poisoning on boats, none of them are pretty.

Use electric heating on shore power overnight (ie an oil radiator with tilt sensor) and don't overload the supply. It's a 16 amp supply, not 100 like you have at home, and is usually shared with an immersion heater and battery charger.

• Like 2

We used to use our boat all year round and in the depths of winter did leave our diesel heating on overnight although turned down. More often than not though we just had the duvet and an extra fleece blanket which kept us toasty warm.

We plan to use our van all year round and will leave the gas heating on low overnight when it is cold enough to warrant it.

20 minutes ago, Cal said:

We plan to use our van all year round and will leave the gas heating on low overnight when it is cold enough to warrant it.

The difference with a camper is that the exhaust gases exit through the floor where there's a big air gap underneath and even if there's a leak they're likely to do that.

In a boat, it's all going to end up in the bilges..

Hi We have two electric 4 position under blankets that we use, there shouldn't be a problem in leaving the heating on over night, you after all may have it on all day, if your concerned take a carbon monoxide censer with you they are cheap as chips,  or though the boat should have one fitted,  warm air heating does dry the air and may give you a dry mouth. John

I doubt if you would need heating all night in October. We usually find that the heat from the cooker takes care of any chill in the evenings and only put the heating on in the morning to take the chill off if it’s needed. Hot water bottles can be useful too. 

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Laminated copy?

New item on the shopping list for me then - thanks 

Griff

After posting that I tried to get a link but couldn’t get one so I emailed them and got this reply hope it helps

Hi Tim

If you follow the link to Guidepost from our website page they will be able to sell you a laminated copy. 

Thanks 

Nick 

Heron Maps 

• Thanks 1

We have also found October weeks quite mild at nights. Early spring weeks much colder. For cold nights water bottles usually come in handy. For extra chilly nights we have a little dimplex radiator, though that depends on being plugged into shore power. We first took one with us when hiring Fair Regent. 

During winter onboard 'B.A' we leave the heating on overnight albeit turned down on the thermostat, have done so on many occasions with no issues at all.  We will do so again this coming winter no doubt.  Running out of amps on the batteries is not really an issue for us.  I always check the exhaust outlet with regards to other boats / fenders previously though

Griff

If you follow the link to Guidepost from our website page they will be able to sell you a laminated copy. 

Did that but nowhere on the Guidepost site is there an option to order the laminated version, I will have to ring them tomorrow.  Tks for your help all the same :default_beerchug:

Griff

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I always check the exhaust outlet with regards to other boats / fenders previously though

I vividly recall one night, about four years ago, moored up at Rockland St Mary Staithe in one of the Fair Regents (on electric) being bothered all evening and (even worse) all night by the sound of the heating outflow from the boat next to us. The boat was a falrly recent addition to the Ferry Marina fleet with a young couple aboard. They left the heating on all evening whilst they were in the pub, and then all night. 
So, if you are tempted to have your heating on overnight, just bear in mind, that heating can sound a lot louder to the boat next to you than it does in your boat! 

We had our little dimplex with us and we were cosy (and silent!).

• Sad 1

Yes the heater noise on some craft can be somewhat obtrusive.

Our Planar heater seems quieter than most plus I have fitted a silencer to the exhaust system, as much for our own benefit as well as others, on tickover (Nightime running) its proper quiet

Griff

• Like 2

The last few boats we've had, I specifically listened to how loud it was from the outside. Both times, almost silent.

But have noticed in the past some larger boats have noisy whooshing, whistling and howling heating systems

• Like 1

All hired boats have carbon monoxide alarms, so rest easy.

Unless something is severely wrong its safe. But tip a nod to the noise and hot gas exhaust.

The more modern ones have a thermostat so you wont boil alive unlike mine which is on full power all of the time.

I consider the greater danger of other craft pumping carbon monoxide into my boat more to worry about as happened to me at Beccles when the boat next door ran its heating. The alarm went off.