Large (dutch Barge?) On Broads

750XL

Just home from a fantastic 11 nights on the Broads, visited most places we wanted to with the exception of Wroxham due to the high waters.

One interesting thing I noted on the holiday was a very large boat at St Bennett’s moorings, possibly a Dutch barge?

Has anyone seen it around? Any info on it?

12 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

There’s also a stunning barge on the Broads atm called Hewland , looks like she’s displaying a visitors toll number 

F5B5AEB4-C2E1-4EE9-994C-AC66075E2F24.jpeg

8F4E39D9-707A-43B4-B093-4979D0847C76.jpeg

We’ve seen Hewland many times this year, I think the owner must be a continuous cruiser. It’s a beautiful barge, just fits North Cove or Worlingham but not much room for anyone else! 

We’ve seen Hewland many times this year, I think the owner must be a continuous cruiser. It’s a beautiful barge, just fits North Cove or Worlingham but not much room for anyone else! 

Well sorry but I dont think it should be on the Broads.  More suited for the Thames or Holland.    As for taking the whole of Worlingham and North Cove , a bit unfair on other toll payers.   I wonder how much his toll is just out of curiosity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

There’s also a stunning barge on the Broads atm called Hewland , looks like she’s displaying a visitors toll number 

F5B5AEB4-C2E1-4EE9-994C-AC66075E2F24.jpeg

8F4E39D9-707A-43B4-B093-4979D0847C76.jpeg

If the likes of Moneypenny from NYA Charter and the larger Broom craft aren’t permitted to cruise The Ant, due to their size, how is this allowed?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Bet that's a bit of a tight squeeze under Ludham bridge!!? (If in fact it can get under there!).

Chris

She must of got under Ludham bridge,as I got stuck behind her from How Hill to Barton Broad yesterday. Some tight squeezes on bends when boats coming the other way.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The height with the folding wheelhouse down doesn't look any more than the Broads boats in the photo. I'm not sure I would like to tackle some of those bends on the Ant though . . .

I wouldn’t like to meet it coming the other way!!  Can you imagine that through Irstead and there’s nowhere to turn round until you get to Barton.

Massive tonnage of steel against Tupperware doesn’t bear thinking about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

He’s clearly managed to negotiate the GY bridges ok. Must admit, I wouldn’t like to meet him coming the opposite way on the Ant however, I don’t think he’d get under Ludham Bridge!

Watch the video, he’s already under, or so it looks to me.  The wheelhouse sides all fold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Watch the video, he’s already under, or so it looks to me.  The wheelhouse sides all fold.

Well spotted! I had a feeling he could get under the bridge!  She said on the video it was heading for Barton Broad.

Those barges are actually very manoeuvrable, with the right kind of skipper.  Could be most interesting!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well spotted! I had a feeling he could get under the bridge!  She said on the video it was heading for Barton Broad.

Those barges are actually very manoeuvrable, with the right kind of skipper.  Could be most interesting!

Going to be very interesting up the Ant today then! I’m pretty sure he is a solo cruiser, never seen anybody else with him. I wonder if a ranger might politely ask him to about-turn. 

38 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's not. The navigation byelaws are very clear on that fact.

I haven't looked it up but I should think you are right.  We were talking on another thread about the difference between the Yare and the other rivers.  The Yare is a maritime navigation, but not the north rivers.

I think Rum Punch is correct - 4 visits a year and notice to be given to the BA more tha 7 days in advance - or thats my reading of the Bye Laws. Perhaps someone can check that?

Do you think this Forum could get away from the tendency for "trial by Forum" attitude before they check the facts and make guesses about what's happened? If he has got permission, then it does us no credit - or perhaps it does?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Well, it's possible that he might have arranged a winter mooring somewhere on the Ant. A lot of canal based boaters do that: continuously cruise spring, summer and autumn and then hunker down on electric in a yard mooring for winter.

Possibly so, but there are rivers and moorings on the network more suited to a craft of that size than The Ant or The Chet.

• Like 2