New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

This thread has gone from new hire boats to pubs, cafe's and breakfasts :default_biggrin: 

Vaughan, I love reading your posts, the knowledge you have of the Broads is amazing so thank you.

As to the cost of hiring, although we can no longer use boats for which they're intended, using them as floating caravans instead, we are being priced out of the market as I am sure lot's of families are. It's a terrible shame

8 hours ago, Meantime said:

Hey you forgot my T :default_rofl:

Then I suggest you have a beer instead :default_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly it's the way of the world Vaughan. Personally I find this a friendly forum on the whole, it's far better than some. I do feel the forum has lost its way a bit and at times it seems like an extension to say Facebook and the likes. But that's fine if that's what members want. There's many post/ topics I'm not interested in or disagree with but I just scroll on by. There are clearly a few individuals that just have to have the last word etc, but hey that's life unfortunately. Don't let it bother you...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, andyg said:

There are clearly a few individuals that just have to have the last word etc, but hey that's life unfortunately. Don't let it bother you...

Thank you Andy. Actually it doesn't bother me now, as I think I have developed the necessary thick skin.

I just sometimes still find it pathetic, that I have had to.*

* Excuse the "hanging participle".  Now pick the bones out of that!   :default_coat:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Talking about new hire boats, I see photos are now on the website for Brinks Prelude.

Prelude - Barnes Brinkcraft

This boat is the first of their 46' variant of the Alpha 44 Highliner, and it's fitted out as an 8+2 berth which seems to make good use of the extra 2 feet of space.

It's a hybrid and I don't know which system it uses or how good this particular boat is in practice, but visually it seems to be a nice step forward. Hopefully with the advances in hybrid tech it generates enough power to cater for the propulsion and domestic needs without having to run the genset at night.

Assuming everything has been specced up properly, a boat with electric ovens and kettle etc would be quite handy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Talking about new hire boats, I see photos are now on the website for Brinks Prelude.

Prelude - Barnes Brinkcraft

This boat is the first of their 46' variant of the Alpha 44 Highliner, and it's fitted out as an 8+2 berth which seems to make good use of the extra 2 feet of space.

It's a hybrid and I don't know which system it uses or how good this particular boat is in practice, but visually it seems to be a nice step forward. Hopefully with the advances in hybrid tech it generates enough power to cater for the propulsion and domestic needs without having to run the genset at night.

Assuming everything has been specced up properly, a boat with electric ovens and kettle etc would be quite handy.

Woods are due to launch there version soon, will be interesting to see the difference in there fit outs. I've had a look on board both the brinks tempo and serenade and they are cracking boats. 

On 20/08/2022 at 19:48, andyg said:

They most definitely have David. I paid 1300 quid for broadsman for a long weekend in Sept. The same class boat on the same start date is know 1800 quid..ummm,something I've never known richardsons to do. I'm a regular customer and I'm pretty spot on with prices. 

Sorry Andy, missed you're reply. I'm bewildered by this. Can I ask if you booked the £1,300 quid boat out of last season's prices for this year? Just wondering if they increased the cost when they published the new season's rates. 

On 21/08/2022 at 13:24, Vaughan said:

That puts me in my place then, doesn't it?  I shall remain out of the way in future, on The Common moorings and make myself a sandwich.  I know I am not the only one, even on this forum, to have walked in there to such a frigid and rather snobbish reception that I have preferred not to bother.

The point you missed - or simply looked down on - is that the Woods End is a traditional, very old and famous riverside pub that owes its existence to the brickworks that existed right beside it and the wherry trade that came to it as a result. What they now call Bramerton Common was the brickworks quay heading!  In just the same way as Coldham Hall, Surlingham Ferry, Berney Arms, the Duke's Head at Somerleyton and many others.  You name them!  The Yare at Brundall was another.

If they couldn't handle normal passing trade just because of a wedding reception then they shouldn't be running a riverside pub business.  Just ask my dear friend Peter Tallowin, who ran a roaring trade in that pub for many years in the 70s and 80s and whose father Gilly, was the famous landlord of the New Inn at Horning.  I also remember Dick Chance, his predecessor at the Woods End and a good friend of Harry Last at Coldham.

As my father's son, I did a lot of my growing up in those pubs.  If they are now simply to be superseded by an up-market exclusive bijou experience for those who think paying through the nose means class, I find that quite lamentable.

Went in there a few of years ago with Mandy and Lottie the dog

Sat on the decking whilst Mandy was deciding what she was going to have, my choice is always simple, a real ale, hers sometimes takes a little thought, yup drives me mad!

We were approached by a lady, her first words were not good afternoon, she pointed at the dog 'you cant bring that inside'

Then said 'are you going to order something' I pointed out that we were sitting outside because the dog wasn't going inside and that as soon as my good lady had decided what she wanted I would be in to order

So having decided on a Pimms and lemonade, I went into the bar where the same lady was talking to a barman in a condescending manner, so I waited for a good 5 minutes for her or him to serve me, eventually I butted in, 'The dog is outside and I would like to order some drinks if not too much trouble' she reluctantly came over and served me

When back outside, I explained what happened to Mandy, we both decided to drink our drinks and leave, we then went down the The Ferry House, which is my favorite pub, where we had a nice lunch served by people that seemed pleased to see you

I only tried the place for a change, always preferring The Ferry House, I shall never return!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Sorry Andy, missed you're reply. I'm bewildered by this. Can I ask if you booked the £1,300 quid boat out of last season's prices for this year? Just wondering if they increased the cost when they published the new season's rates. 

Booked in January David direct with Richardson's. Even if it was last years price, a 500 pounds increase on a 3 night break is stretching things. I've also noticed for the 1st time since these boats were launched, they still have availability left for this season. Even pre pandemic you'd be lucky to hire one this time of the year. They'd be booked solidly for the season. By April. 

I know that's true Andy. General availability for the next few weeks is predominately only for the more expensive boats now. It shows people are having to count their pennies.  I have noticed in past years that the boatyards would rather see a boat stay tied up than let it out at a discount (in most - not all cases). They clearly don't want to alienate their early bookers. I suppose they calculate what they earn from stable pricing as opposed to letting people know the longer they leave it, the lower the price will become. As I said before though. I can't see these prices holding for 2023. At the least I think they will freeze them. 

• Like 2

Ref WaterseEdge, we (small son and I) called in by boat last Sunday 14th early afternoon, ample available moorings but car park full and most tables taken) and anyone who knows the road access it's hardly passing road trade, so clearly they have developed a good local land based clientele. It's not everyone's "cup of tea" but I quite like it. I also remember the old "Woods End" days when it was more "spit and sawdust". I think there is a market for this level given the propensity of private and expensive hire boats (Brooms and NYA) 30 or so minutes down stream.

• Like 3

I think around those parts there's definitely a market for it.

Whenever I've been there in recent years it has been rammed and I recall one time in the summer we were told they were at capacity in the kitchen but that we could take a seat on the decking and they would be able to do bowls of chips, which a few people seemed to have taken them up on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oldgregg said:

but that we could take a seat on the decking and they would be able to do bowls of chips, which a few people seemed to have taken them up on.

And I hope they were suitably grateful.

I remember the TV chef James Martin, saying more than once on his programme :

What is the difference between a "dollop" and a "quenelle"?

About twenty-five Quid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whilst sitting outside The Waters Edge last Friday enjoying a nice pint of Aspalls, I was quite surprised to see a new day boat moored up. It was a very smart luxury day boat from Buccaneer Boats, so I guess I'm bringing this thread back on track as it was new for 2022. A little while later another came along and moored up behind it. Over the course of the next day or two I saw them out and about on the rivers again. They really do look quite nice.

Having just remembered them and checking out the website it was quite refreshing to see the list of Do's and Dont's which includes No alcohol to be bought on board or consumed on board. The last one might be a little hard to control once the boat has left the yard. No fishing equipment or buggies or prams.

It was interesting to note that there was a £200 security / damage deposit required. There didn't appear to be a CDW option. So very refreshing. Judging by the amount of times I saw the boats, it didn't appear to have put people off, and each time I did see one, they were being helmed very responsibly.

• Like 4

They are not cheap to hire, but then again they are brand new boats, so all relative I guess, and they appear to be hiring well from what I saw. They obviously intend to look after their investment as well judging by the following.

On your return to the yard at the end of the hire period a full refund of the security deposit will be made if all of the following terms are met:

The boat is returned

By the stated time, Late Returns Will Incur £ 60 Per Hour Charged in £15 per 15 mins increments Without Exception, This Will Be Automatically Deducted From Your Security / Damage Deposit.

All Craft are GPS Tracked For Location, Time & Speed.

In a clean and tidy condition

Without any damage Or Loss Of Buccaneer Boats Equipment.

Without the company receiving any reports of anti-social or unsafe behaviour

If Damage Or Loss Occurs Exceeds Security Damage Deposit, The hirer Will Be Responsible For The Amount deemed reasonable for Repair or Replacement.

Any Damage Or Loss occurring From Malicious Or Negligence on behalf of the hirer or their Party Will be Responsible in full.

I particularly liked the bit about boats being tracked by GPS for location, Time and speed.

I hope other yards are taking note!

• Like 2

They are also governed quite strictly in order to conform to the yards speed policy. They are not allowed to go down river any further than Cantley as they will not cope with strong tides. Do not go over your time, you will incure heavy charges in increments of 15 minutes. You will have to show evidence to prove who you are with photograph. No one under the age of 21 allowed to drive. The boats have GPS trackers which record in real time, place, time and speed. 

• Like 2

Gosh they do look nice don't they.:default_biggrin:

Didn't see any of them in my trip to the dark side earlier on in the year. Will keep a look out when over that way next month.

I don't think the prices are excessive for such a nice boat and certainly in line with the larger dayboats from the more popular places oop North.

I notice they specifically mention WE on the website as a stopping place, I wonder if they have some kind of agreement with WE for lunch time moorings.

I prefer mooring on the common as we have a canine companion but I was offered a mooring outside the pub overnight if I wanted it. I think electric hook up was included but I can't swear to that as I was quite happy on the common.

• Like 1

I have hired boats from this company many times. I will continue to do so.

Their boats are immaculate. Like many boat yards in the past it is run like Mr Patels corner shop. Long hours, a family commitment. 

Their boat yard, and accommodation with regard to riverside holiday lets is superb.

On arrival we went through all the preliminaries, before the trial run. Which took an age.   We were going for a weekend. 

And then we were off. The boat was moored side on, and it was explained to me that the wheel was placed in such a position that allowed me to leave the mooring without input from myself in order to gain access to the dyke, opposite Coldham Hall.

Such is their commitment.

On return the owner is on the quay heading to instruct and assist the mooring. The boat is then inspected by the owner and his wife.

My experience is such that they were very friendly and have welcomed me back several times.

Some,  a minority have not been so fortunate.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I have hired boats from this company many times. I will continue to do so.

Their boats are immaculate. Like many boat yards in the past it is run like Mr Patels corner shop. Long hours, a family commitment. 

Their boat yard, and accommodation with regard to riverside holiday lets is superb.

On arrival we went through all the preliminaries, before the trial run. Which took an age.   We were going for a weekend. 

And then we were off. The boat was moored side on, and it was explained to me that the wheel was placed in such a position that allowed me to leave the mooring without input from myself in order to gain access to the dyke, opposite Coldham Hall.

Such is their commitment.

On return the owner is on the quay heading to instruct and assist the mooring. The boat is then inspected by the owner and his wife.

My experience is such that they were very friendly and have welcomed me back several times.

Some,  a minority have not been so fortunate.

It's nice to hear that Mr W.

Seems like someone has the right attitude.

It was interesting to read What MT (got your T in there this time) had to say about the much maligned CDW as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

It's nice to hear that Mr W.

Seems like someone has the right attitude.

It was interesting to read What MT (got your T in there this time) had to say about the much maligned CDW as well.

Actually it gets better the more you read.

Adult Groups aged predominantly under 25, must check before booking.

Proof Of Suitable Photo Identification & Address Will Be Required From Lead Hirer.

Multiple Boat Bookings From Same Group/Family For Hire at the Same Date & Time will not be accepted and if deemed a booking is part of a multiple group booking, an increased Deposit will be required and pre -authorised of £500 per boat

Any Arrivals by a Group In A Taxi & it is Deemed One Person may not be responsible For the Craft, An Increased Damage/ Security Deposit of up to £500 Will automatically be Held until the vessel is returned. Clean Tidy Free of any damage & no reports of Antisocial Behaviour. Therefore The Security deposit may not be released until 24 hrs after Hire Period Ends.

Judging from ExSurveyor's comments above, it seems to work.

One can only hope that it becomes a model that others want to follow.

Thanks for the T by the way. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

I'm afraid that I do not share the enthusiasm of some with regard to such drastic measures which can only impact on the holiday industry. 

It needs, how do I explain, a less draconian approach, less invasive, a measured response perhaps. If indeed it is required at all!

It may suit this particular boat yard, but for the larger operators it would be impractical and almost impossible to implement.

• Like 4