New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

3 minutes ago, andyg said:

Gentlemen, I'm pretty sure there's a thread about wild swimming already on here,can I kindly suggest thoses that want to debate that head on over there. Same goes for running engines on moorings pretty sure I've seen a thread on that as well. It all just becomes a bit of a mess with with everyone promoting there own agenda and the op gets totally forgotten. Shall we get back to the original topic the constant ruffling of feather and egos becomes a bit boring in the end. 

Very much  agree with you.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, andyg said:

Shall we get back to the original topic the constant ruffling of feather and egos becomes a bit boring in the end. 

Perhaps it does but it is not always easy to turn a blind eye when somebody makes subtle or snide comments, then there is the added problem of the writen words being misinterpreted of course. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Talking to the guys at richardsons this morning and they confirmed the building programme has re started, Broadway 7 is nearly finished and there will be more broadsmans, commodore type boats to follow. There are a ĺfew more boats being taken out of the fleet this winter and that should be about it. They are starting to fit new galleys in a lot of the old gem bath tubs, so all good by the sounds of it. They are incredibly busy which is good to see. August apparently was very quite apparently. They did say they are really struggling to recruit skilled boat builders, but I've seen most yards advertising this year for boat builders. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, garryn said:

In hindsight it was probaly not a good idea to lay off all the good boatbuilders they had. They had been hoping to get that Broadway ready for this summer.

That must be the one they were talking about, it's nearly finished apparently. I think Clive employed some of them on his new boat building venture. But it's up and running again and like I've said there are new boats in the pipeline. 

35 minutes ago, garryn said:

In hindsight it was probaly not a good idea to lay off all the good boatbuilders they had. They had been hoping to get that Broadway ready for this summer.

it is in a certain boatbuilders shed on the south side right now being finished off

They did say they had contractors finishing the boat, this is purely down to not having enough skilled staff. A bit bizzare really when you consider it's what they do. But hey that's none of my business. The good thing is they are adding new boats and have every intention to keep adding and investing in the fleet. Clive leaving the business was clearly a big blow and was always going to take time to replace his team. I believe they've added 4 or 5 brand new purchased boats since his departure. So all positive from a customer's prospective. I've no interest in the companies internal politics. 

1 hour ago, andyg said:

They did say they had contractors finishing the boat, this is purely down to not having enough skilled staff. A bit bizzare really when you consider it's what they do. But hey that's none of my business. The good thing is they are adding new boats and have every intention to keep adding and investing in the fleet. Clive leaving the business was clearly a big blow and was always going to take time to replace his team. I believe they've added 4 or 5 brand new purchased boats since his departure. So all positive from a customer's prospective. I've no interest in the companies internal politics. 

There maybe some reticence in employing a new team of boatbuilders and embarking on a programme on building, as we enter a period of economic uncertainty, with rapidly rising costs in all areas.  It could be more prudent to subcontract work out to yards who already employ a boat building team, where costs can be fixed before starting a build within the contract for the work.

Other yards have been advertising for boatbuilders, but they maybe required for maintaining a refurbishment of existing fleets, as well as new build programmes.  I guess that the industry has been affected over the years by a number of factors, one of which being our drive to send school leavers to university, instead of encouraging apprenticeships in necessary trades.  Obviously, Brexit has deprived us of the potential for utilising skilled labour from countries within the EU, leaving many industries struggling to fill vacancies that our education system seems not geared up to fill.  It will take years to negate that void.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can Boat Yards share Boat Builder as one finishes a Boat and then move on to the next one I would call that freelance from one yard to another ? This would also bring in an apprenticeship at the same time.

It's my understanding Andrew many are self employed and not actually directly employed. But if you are employing anyone Andrew it's because your business needs there skills. So sharing with other as you say, isn't a viable option. 

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

I'm pleased to know Paul Richardson is still investing in the Boating Said while he has got the Caravan Parks  . It's a pity the Boat Builders got laid off in the First place now coming back to their right full employment

You've  quoted  me,without text.What do you mean?

That's interesting Andy, Waterside Marine had 2 Connoisseur 37ft 2 berths for sale recently. Since they only built 4 of that particular fit. Its strange both were for sale at the same time and place as both must be from private sources. I must admit when Woods added the 1st to  their fleet and picked up a number of bookings I thought they would interested in the 2nd particularly as it was an internal sale.

On the subject of Richardsons they have added atleast 7 purchases since the boat build freeze in 2020 to 2022. I believe they were built between 2011 and 2019/20 including 3 Haines 31, 2 Heritage 286s a Sheerline 950 and a Viking based on the Alpha 31 mould 

Neil 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captain said:

That's interesting Andy, Waterside Marine had 2 Connoisseur 37ft 2 berths for sale recently. Since they only built 4 of that particular fit. Its strange both were for sale at the same time and place as both must be from private sources. I must admit when Woods added the 1st to  their fleet and picked up a number of bookings I thought they would interested in the 2nd particularly as it was an internal sale.

On the subject of Richardsons they have added atleast 7 purchases since the boat build freeze in 2020 to 2022. I believe they were built between 2011 and 2019/20 including 3 Haines 31, 2 Heritage 286s a Sheerline 950 and a Viking based on the Alpha 31 mould 

Neil 

Cheers Neil I didn't realise it was that many, so more new additions to the fleet then they would of built. Its good to see them investing. It will be interesting to see if silverline build anymore for them. I'm pretty sure it was soring 2 as I'd seen number one earlier in the day. The booking calendar would definitely suggest 2 boats. Number one seems to have done well since it was added to the fleet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Dan how many Berth has she got? The Boat looks quite impressive in the photo.

Just the two berths...

Personally I think the cream leather against the beige laminates and creamish carpet doesn't work and a you have too many similar, plain colours , but I can see why you wouldn't change the upholstery

The height of luxury and quite palatial when launched in 1993, today I think they will provide a spacious, comfortable holiday at somewhere around mid standard

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/book/soaring-light/

Dan

• Like 4