New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

I seem to remember Clive talking about a front seat as well, but it's difficult to make out on the pictures shown.

I'm intrigued by the black 'patch' on the hull. Is it a window to give light to a quarter berth cabin, or is it just styling?

Hi, it’s a hull vent

18 hours ago, MrBlueSky said:

Definitely not a safe area to sit and wait while coming in to moor.

To be fair, it’s probably safer to sit there than stand. There are decent handrails for either option. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I love that detail.

I've always been a fan of the seat on the mk1 Aquafibre centre cockpits, some people think they're hideous (and they may have a point) but it's a great bit of design.

I agree, I really like the seat, but the first hire boat I remember is Seafarer 3 from Brooms with my parents and grand parents so it reminds me of that.

Personally I really don't like the sloped forward roof of the modern Alpha moulds, it looks nice, but seriously reduces the headroom in the forward cabin and there is  nowhere to sit comfortably at the bow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

I agree, I really like the seat, but the first hire boat I remember is Seafarer 3 from Brooms with my parents and grand parents so it reminds me of that.

Personally I really don't like the sloped forward roof of the modern Alpha moulds, it looks nice, but seriously reduces the headroom in the forward cabin and there is  nowhere to sit comfortably at the bow.

Yeah I've often said that about those. The newer models look sleeker, but if you step aboard the OG Alpha 35 you realise just how much interior space that slightly boxy design gives.

• Like 4

Whilst all these cameras are great for boating, they do raise interesting privacy issues. If you are moored next to a boat with them in, say, a bath tub or a sedan cruiser other people could be looking right into your boat when you are not aware.

6 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Whilst all these cameras are great for boating, they do raise interesting privacy issues. If you are moored next to a boat with them in, say, a bath tub or a sedan cruiser other people could be looking right into your boat when you are not aware.

That's like a window then :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

If concerned,close a curtain. 

I'm guessing if you next door neighbour at home decided to install a camera and point it directly into your living room or bedroom you'd be happy to simply draw you curtains.

You can see a person. You can engage with them. On the Broads this can often lead to great conversations. But a camera is anonymous, even creepy. 

Used properly these cameras will be great, but...

11 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I'm guessing if you next door neighbour at home decided to install a camera and point it directly into your living room or bedroom you'd be happy to simply draw you curtains.

You can see a person. You can engage with them. On the Broads this can often lead to great conversations. But a camera is anonymous, even creepy. 

Used properly these cameras will be great, but...

What a paranoid society we live in these days, no disrespect intended but I grew up in a world where front doors were never closed now everyone walks around with a camera and houses are like Fort Knox with cameras and lights.

Fred 

Fred

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

There is a difference  if a camera  from another  house  is pointed to your house. Where as a camera  on a boat is a tool to help mainly in reversing.Boats most often are moored close together. So some will look into other boats.Is that also a problem? I think not.As I said if it worries you close a curtain. 

4 hours ago, RS2021 said:

if you are in a bath tub, moored on the river and worried other people might be watching, best not to run a bath. definitely keep a towel close to hand.

• Haha 5

On 09/11/2022 at 15:38, jeffbroadslover said:

Is that a forward facing camera as well?

Jeff

The boat set up with Dockmate so in theory you can drive it down river from your mobile phone but in reality its so you would stand on the back with a rope and use the thrusters if you wanted to. 

• Like 2