New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

9 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I'm afraid that I do not share the enthusiasm of some with regard to such drastic measures which can only impact on the holiday industry. 

It needs, how do I explain, a less draconian approach, less invasive, a measured response perhaps. If indeed it is required at all!

It may suit this particular boat yard, but for the larger operators it would be impractical and almost impossible to implement.

I like the approach they've taken and I don't find it draconian personally. I admire them for sticking their neck out and doing what other day boat operators haven't wanted to do. I do agree though, for the larger operators on the north Broads it would be expensive from a staffing point of view and therefore impractical to implement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I like the approach they've taken and I don't find it draconian personally. I admire them for sticking their neck out and doing what other day boat operators haven't wanted to do. I do agree though, for the larger operators on the north Broads it would be expensive from a staffing point of view and therefore impractical to implement.

I read into your reply that we are talking purely about day boat operators only and not the hire boat industry in general?

• Like 1

I don't think that is what I would call "luxury" in a boat, but then perhaps I am not the "market" that they are seeking to attract?  I wish them luck with it.  Certainly a very expensive investment.

I have found that day boats will only make a commercial turnover if they have a "captive audience" at big centres like Wroxham or Potter, where day trippers gather by road. You are never going to make money out of a day boat if it only goes out on Saturday and Sunday.  They have to be out all week.

They can be a useful addition to an existing business, especially if you are offering chalets and houseboats on the same property.  They are also very labour intensive and usually have members of staff employed solely to look after them.

As I said, I wish them luck with it.  Why not?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I don't think that is what I would call "luxury" in a boat, but then perhaps I am not the "market" that they are seeking to attract?  I wish them luck with it.  Certainly a very expensive investment.

I have found that day boats will only make a commercial turnover if they have a "captive audience" at big centres like Wroxham or Potter, where day trippers gather by road. You are never going to make money out of a day boat if it only goes out on Saturday and Sunday.  They have to be out all week.

They can be a useful addition to an existing business, especially if you are offering chalets and houseboats on the same property.  They are also very labour intensive and usually have members of staff employed solely to look after them.

You may be right although while I cant speak for the South those at Sutton, Wayford, Acle the lower end of Horning and Simpsons all seem to do pretty well 7 days of the week and not just during the main holiday period.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

You may be right although while I cant speak for the South those at Sutton, Wayford, Acle the lower end of Horning and Simpsons all seem to do pretty well 7 days of the week and not just during the main holiday period.

Yes, and all with a passing trade, off the main road.  I know that a great deal of Simpson's customer simply "walk in".  I'm not sure that would apply down the boatyard dykes in Brundall.  If you go down there, you have to "mean it"! 

I suspect their custom is all booked in advance off their website and as I said, I wish them luck with it.

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Yes, and all with a passing trade, off the main road.  I know that a great deal of Simpson's customer simply "walk in".  I'm not sure that would apply down the boatyard dykes in Brundall.  If you go down there, you have to "mean it"! 

I suspect their custom is all booked in advance off their website and as I said, I wish them luck with it.

Without getting into a prolonged argument I think you would be surprised how many are pre-planned and pre booked especially the better quality ones including  picnic boats that are now quite common.

The number of enquires on FB etc for information grows all the time with people looking  forward rather than impromptu decisions.

Fred

11 hours ago, Wussername said:

I'm afraid that I do not share the enthusiasm of some with regard to such drastic measures which can only impact on the holiday industry. 

It needs, how do I explain, a less draconian approach, less invasive, a measured response perhaps. If indeed it is required at all!

It may suit this particular boat yard, but for the larger operators it would be impractical and almost impossible to implement.

I did say we can only dream Mr W

• Like 1

We had one that was bought by my parents for our two. Exactly that colour. Mushroom and Navy. However we had a metal basket under, just above the axles for shopping. They are 47 & 44 now.

It came from a huge pram, cot and highchair store in The Uxbridge Road, Ealing but I can't however I try remember their name.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Funnily enough we were looking at these day boats at the weekend. They are something that we could well consider to keep in the garage at home and tow around as we want it.

They are not as expensive as they look. The yard will certainly recoup their purchase price very quickly at those hire rates!

https://tingdeneboating.com/new-boats-for-sale/maxima/620-retro

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I know we only have a week left, but their website is saying "Sorry fully booked for August" 

I suspect they are booked by people looking for something a little more special for special occasions and therefore they are generally booked in advance, rather than on a whim.

Also they do look smart and just seeing them out on the river generates it's own interest.

Whilst enjoying my pint of Aspall's on the decking someone walked up to me and asked if I was on the boat just in front of where I was sitting. I replied no and indicated the table where the party had headed of to. He then went over and was asking them about where they hired it from etc etc. 

I applauded them for their investment, the boats look great. I personally wouldn't hire one. Way to many restrictions I'm afraid. We've hired new picnic boats from herbert woods and ferry marina both boats cost a great deal more then these to build, we've very few restrictions.I understand there reasons for taking the stances they have but its not for me. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, andyg said:

I applauded them for their investment, the boats look great. I personally wouldn't hire one. Way to many restrictions I'm afraid. We've hired new picnic boats from herbert woods and ferry marina both boats cost a great deal more then these to build, we've very few restrictions.I understand there reasons for taking the stances they have but its not for me. 

But that's divertisy one man's meet is another man's poison that's why there are so many different styles of boats.

Fred

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andyg said:

We've hired new picnic boats from herbert woods and ferry marina both boats cost a great deal more then these to build

With many of them showing a fair few scars after only one season. Makes you wonder about the quay headings and other things they've hit during the course of the season. The Buccaneer boats still look virtually immaculate.

37 minutes ago, Meantime said:

With many of them showing a fair few scars after only one season. Makes you wonder about the quay headings and other things they've hit during the course of the season. The Buccaneer boats still look virtually immaculate.

There only a few months old I'd expect them to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Not sure that's relevant  if you had witnessed the behaviour recently of many who have not had similar restrictions on the Bure.

I take the point Fred but aren't you being a bit negative about this?  If they want to invest in "luxury" bumper boats and yet impose severe restrictions on type of client, alcohol, age (of party as well as skipper) and all the rest of it, then good for them.  Time will tell whether their business format succeeds for them or not.

For the time being I am sure they are doing no harm.

I must say though, I don't know what that bathing platform on the back is supposed to be for.  Are they suggesting swimming in the Yare?  Or perhaps in the lilies on Rockland Broad?  Or do they come towing a paddle board, as a tender?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I take the point Fred but aren't you being a bit negative about this?  If they want to invest in "luxury" bumper boats and yet impose severe restrictions on type of client, alcohol, age (of party as well as skipper) and all the rest of it, then good for them.  Time will tell whether their business format succeeds for them or not.

For the time being I am sure they are doing no harm.

I must say though, I don't know what that bathing platform on the back is supposed to be for.  Are they suggesting swimming in the Yare?  Or perhaps in the lilies on Rockland Broad?  Or do they come towing a paddle board, as a tender?

Not at all I am all for maximising the area and for all to enjoy it, just a nice change to see someone in the industry being proactive regarding behaviour especially when it seems from their video that NBD are encouraging the opposite  advising their customers to run engines of an evening.

Fred

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Not at all I am all for maximising the area and for all to enjoy it, just a nice change to see someone in the industry being proactive regarding behaviour especially when it seems from their video that NBD are encouraging the opposite  advising their customers to run engines of an evening.

Fred

How on earth is running an engine bad behaviour...

Please don't knock this business model.

Only time will tell if it is a success or not.

All I know is that it's better than what I call the Norfolk Business Model. If customer numbers drop then put up your prices so you maintain income and squeeze the remaining customers until the pips squeak.

Then wonder why the customers don't come back the following year.