New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

9 hours ago, grendel said:

call me old fashioned if you will, but i prefer that nice woodie on the starboard side of the new cruiser.

I'm sure your bank manager will be very pleased to hear that :default_biggrin:

On 16/07/2022 at 06:17, andyg said:

Barnes have now launched the 1st of there new brinks prelude class, a 46ft dual steer. Unusually for them the boat isn't finished, she was launched without her windows or stern doors fitted and with the interior not complete. I did notice the other week they had another hull still in its mould outside the shed, maybe they need to clear some space. But great to see continued investment into there fleet, not doubt it will fitted with loads of tech and a quality internal fit out as you'd expect from new barnes boats. 

It’s now fitted with windows and doors.  Saw it today when we went to Hoveton.  There appears to be a complete mould in the shed, too.

21281794-E6D0-48C6-A9BB-94326E9A020C.jpeg

• Like 4

Cheers Mouldy. I like that new rear window hope that opens. Most just leave that blank. I do have a soft spot for this design...Langford was ahead of his time coming up with the original concept. The moulds your talking about were sitting outside the shed back in May. 

11 hours ago, andyg said:

Cheers Mouldy. I like that new rear window hope that opens. Most just leave that blank. I do have a soft spot for this design...Langford was ahead of his time coming up with the original concept. The moulds your talking about were sitting outside the shed back in May. 

Yes I totally agree the alpha craft designs all of them were ahead of their times with most of them still being built in a modernised format today 

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I guess you boys are talking about the top bit.... as the hull is a 1972 Bahama.... :default_cool:

http://www.fbwilds.horning.org.uk/page5.html

Dan

Indeed. I wonder if Barnes have managed to correct the twist in the mouldings that Alpha managed to introduce.

They'll have needed to make a new set of mould tools given the stretch (and how wrecked the old ones were) so hopefully that was fixed.

I will say that overall I think this boat looks like an improvement, and integrating the flybridge seating is a good move too. The more subtle livery and the fact it isn't covered in flat solar panels (like the last hybrid was) adds to that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan said:

I guess you boys are talking about the top bit.... as the hull is a 1972 Bahama.... :default_cool:

http://www.fbwilds.horning.org.uk/page5.html

Dan

Lol Dan, of course we often forget where the Hull originates from. Gosh I wonder how many 100s have been produced over the years. There's not too many inland waterways in the UK where you won't find an old FB Wilds or Alphacraft designed boat moored up. I guess Mr Wilds and Gillings were ahead of there time. 

6 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Indeed. I wonder if Barnes have managed to correct the twist in the mouldings that Alpha managed to introduce.

They'll have needed to make a new set of mould tools given the stretch (and how wrecked the old ones were) so hopefully that was fixed.

I will say that overall I think this boat looks like an improvement, and integrating the flybridge seating is a good move too. The more subtle livery and the fact it isn't covered in flat solar panels (like the last hybrid was) adds to that.

The upper deck seating isn't new, I've hired a couple of these now from woods and there all fitted with the integrated seats table and sunbeds. It's a very nice place to be in good weather. The access steps from the saloon to the upper helm should be scrapped in my opinion there to steep and are pretty useless in the rain. The table on the sundeck could do with some work. It's set to low I totally understand why but an adjustable one would be so much better. Woods will be launching there new one of this design before the end of the summer it will be interesting to see how they compare. No doubt prelude will be crammed full of tech as are all barnes new builds of late. I often wonder how barnes can afford to build at the rate they do but over bigger yards can't. Two of these have go to set you back a good half a million pounds I'm guessing. But it's good to see they have the confidence to do that. 

1 hour ago, andyg said:

The access steps from the saloon to the upper helm should be scrapped in my opinion

They have on their latest 35 footers and the plan for this 46 footer doesn't show them. I can't see from the photos to confirm this though.

In my opinion, given the MAIB report on the incident at Great Yarmouth,  dual steer boats should have direct access from cabin to upper deck. To not do so is to design in unnecessary risk.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

dual steer boats should have direct access from cabin to upper deck. To not do so is to design in unnecessary risk.

Excuse me but I think the key word in the report was communication, rather than access.  The ability to communicate, either vocally or visibly, between the two positions.  A sunroof over the saloon or especially a sliding window between the saloon and the sundeck, would serve that purpose.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldgregg said:

It is quite a serious twist as well! You can even see it in these photos :

1847836486_condor1.thumb.jpeg.b8f14d726df026a1bbabf7ed0453825a.jpeg

Here, the boat is level but the bow has a list to port.

1487930815_condor2.thumb.jpeg.cd17185ecc4d392857243e0a05ab08d8.jpeg

Here, the bow on the left is level, but the boat has a good list to starboard! Probably because the water tank was empty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me but I think the key word in the report was communication, rather than access.  The ability to communicate, either vocally or visibly, between the two positions.  A sunroof over the saloon or especially a sliding window between the saloon and the sundeck, would serve that purpose.

I agree just leave the window that's already there. 

39 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me but I think the key word in the report was communication, rather than access.

In my reading of the report, just like most accidents, it is never just one key thing which causes the accident. It is a combination of many things any of which if changed would have prevented the accident. However, all have the potential to contribute to a future accident. If we are looking to reduce future accidents we should look at all those areas. Design is the first stage. I probably look at it more as it is an area which interests me. I accept others will focus other areas of the report which interest them, and that is the way improve safety overall. A glaring statement to me in the report is that there was no risk assessment on the design. There are other statement in the report I could also refer to, but I will not given the sensitivity of the incident.

I would note, however, that the boat design was a Funnel design which for many years have not had direct access to the upper deck. In the latest design at NBD this access has been reintroduced (as well as railings on the stern).  As the MAIB report refers to design I would assume they spoke in greater detail with the designers and that they will have a greater insight of MAIBs concerns in this area than have been expressed in the report.

I would be very interested to see the Barnes design risk assessment and remain of the view that it would be a very brave designer who removed direct access from an existing design having read the MAIB report.

18 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

just like most accidents, it is never just one key thing which causes the accident.

Dear me, I didn't mean it was the key word of the report, just of that part of it.  It is so very easy to be misunderstood, on a forum. 

I totally agree with what you say, as accident investigators will always talk of a "cascade" of events, none of which, on their own, would be serious but put all together, they add up to an accident.

In this case, one assumes that this communication would only be necessary if it were decided to change both the control position, and the helmsman, at the same time while under way.  No reason in theory, why one shouldn't.

Perhaps this is the vital connection between the safe design and installation of the equipment : and its safe operation by the user.

• Like 1

Just now, Meantime said:

That explains why my two fenders nearest the bow on the Port side always just about drag in the water, even when the foul tank is empty!

I first noticed this twist when I got one of those two boats out into the shed, to do the conversion of the upper sundeck.  Having got it off the trolley and the keel onto chocks, I jacked it up level in the usual way by checking that the transom was the same height off the floor on both sides.

When finished, I walked off towards the office and looking back, saw that the bow of the boat was leaning over about 5 degrees to port. I had to go back and make sure that I had chocked it up right!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I first noticed this twist when I got one of those two boats out into the shed, to do the conversion of the upper sundeck.  Having got it off the trolley and the keel onto chocks, I jacked it up level in the usual way by checking that the transom was the same height off the floor on both sides.

When finished, I walked off towards the office and looking back, saw that the bow of the boat was leaning over about 5 degrees to port. I had to go back and make sure that I had chocked it up right!

I'd never noticed the twist before but it explains a lot. I have F1 fenders on my boat and due to their length and the position of the fender eyes I have to have the ropes as short as possible to bring the top of the fender as close to the rubbing strake to stop them dragging in the water. This is a pain because it means the fenders can never be lifted up on the deck when under way, however the last two on the port side will always just about catch the top of the water when under way with the diesel tank full, water tank full and foul tank empty which makes the boat the most level. As the diesel tank empties and the foul fills the boat only ever leans further to port making the drag on those two fenders worse.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I'd never noticed the twist before but it explains a lot.

Go out and have a look at your boat from the front, with a "new pair of eyes" while she is sitting still on her moorings.  

You might be quite surprised at what you see.

I should add (for all Alpha owners) that this is not a problem.  If the boat was fitted out that way, then she will be perfectly all right that way. The strength of a Fibreglass boat is in the furniture inside it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, andyg said:

Woods new 46ft dual steer is now available to book from oct. She's about half way through her fitt out. A lot later than originally planned so guess they are having supply or staffing issues as well. 

I love the virtual tour of a half built boat. It gives a real insight to how the fit out is done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyg said:

Woods new 46ft dual steer is now available to book from oct. She's about half way through her fitt out. A lot later than originally planned so guess they are having supply or staffing issues as well. 

H W are now taking bookings from 01/10/22 to 31/10/22. Price £1838.00 per week, includes £200.00 fuel deposit, £65.00 Damage waiver and parking for 3 cars.

5 hours ago, Graham47 said:

H W are now taking bookings from 01/10/22 to 31/10/22. Price £1838.00 per week, includes £200.00 fuel deposit, £65.00 Damage waiver and parking for 3 cars.

They had hoped to launch her mid summer so they told me. 

18 hours ago, Wussername said:

Blast me Mr Vorn your a rummen. Do you hev got all them old boys a wurrian cos there buts are on the slantandicular. Do therl never look the same on them agin.

Lots of 2nd hand Alphacrafts coming to market very soon lol..

• Haha 3