Boat Wanted.

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

Yet another boat that took my liking. I know one is told to stay away from wooden boats. Is that all wood or just wooden hulls. I do like the look of this but with my lack of knowledge is probably totally unsuitable.

https://www.boatshowrooms.com/boats-for-sale/london/classic-bourne-34/

I have had a 50/50, mine was an early Bounty DC30. We loved the boat but unless you are able and prepared to put the maintenance work in on the varnish or have deep pockets then beware. Varnishing always needs redoing, you can make it last a good few years with all over covers but it will fade sooner or later.

I love woodies of all kinds and I wouldn't say don't do it but I would strongly suggest plenty of research into costs and maintenance schedules.

Of course if you are skilled already in such things then being custodian of such a beautiful boat is a joy 👍

I have what's left of a Bourne 35. 

It will be stunning again in a few weeks but at the moment.....

Lovely boats to look at and to drive. However, even the full survey that was done by a previous prospective buyer didn't pick up on the amount of mangled wood that needs replacing. I would have another in a heartbeat but if you go for something like this just be aware of the potential for bits needing replacement. They are 50 odd years old now. 

No idea where you are located but if you want to pop over to Lowestoft to have a poke about and get a feel for it you are more than welcome. 

1 hour ago, AndyTBoater said:

Lovely boats to look at and to drive. However, even the full survey that was done by a previous prospective buyer didn't pick up on the amount of mangled wood that needs replacing. I would have another in a heartbeat but if you go for something like this just be aware of the potential for bits needing replacement. They are 50 odd years old now. 

No idea where you are located but if you want to pop over to Lowestoft to have a poke about and get a feel for it you are more than welcome. 

Just don’t poke to hard :default_coat:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ray said:

I have had a 50/50, mine was an early Bounty DC30. We loved the boat but unless you are able and prepared to put the maintenance work in on the varnish or have deep pockets then beware. Varnishing always needs redoing, you can make it last a good few years with all over covers but it will fade sooner or later.

I love woodies of all kinds and I wouldn't say don't do it but I would strongly suggest plenty of research into costs and maintenance schedules.

Of course if you are skilled already in such things then being custodian of such a beautiful boat is a joy 👍

Yes all sounds good until you see the realities. Funnily enough I met a couple in Potter Heigham at the weekend who were boat hunting. Looking at Bounty 27s. I found out they had just sold their boat, a wooden one, purely because the effort to keep it maintained was getting too much for them. One big minus with the Bourne34 is the loo. I thought I had left behind cassette toilets with my old caravans of the past.

2 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

Thank you for the offer. Lowestoft is no problem will message you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

Yes all sounds good until you see the realities. Funnily enough I met a couple in Potter Heigham at the weekend who were boat hunting. Looking at Bounty 27s. I found out they had just sold their boat, a wooden one, purely because the effort to keep it maintained was getting too much for them. One big minus with the Bourne34 is the loo. I thought I had left behind cassette toilets with my old caravans of the past.

An electric toilet is easy to fit. 

I'm firmly in the grp camp, woodies are lovely to look at but they are for someone else to own and fix not me, as for electric loos I really never saw the point of having something power dependent when the manual pumps are so simple and less to go wrong, I regard boating as camping albeit with a few more mod cons and a lot more comfort but it's good to be able to stop somewhere for a few days without having to worry about running out of power or having to stink the neighbours out charging, I guess we all see it for different things.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Just don’t poke to hard :default_coat:

I have poked gently and more bits have fallen off. There is more in the skip now than on the boat.

I will do an update on the restoration thread soon but at the moment its a case of fit one bit in and two more bits fall off.

It will be great again in a couple of weeks. Robin is well on top of the decks and cabin sides and beams and deck supports and ...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

It doesn’t really matter what your first boat is, it will be your third or fourth that will be ideal , suits your needs and the one you should have bought in the first place !  

I'll vouch for this. Having had two previous boats I'm hoping my next one is my last. If that makes sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

It doesn’t really matter what your first boat is, it will be your third or fourth that will be ideal , suits your needs and the one you should have bought in the first place !  

Sorry to disagree but get your research right and your first can be your last and save you a fortune in the process.

Fred

On 10/02/2022 at 23:13, Oldspice said:

Agree with what others have said regarding what is suitable and meets your needs and requirements regarding boat style design and fit out.

We changed our boat due to the Mrs having mobility issues (previous boat was 2014 Shetland 27i) and waited for over 6 months for our current boat to find us/come to market as we wanted a specific layout.

We now have Sheerline 950 centre cockpit but with a 5 berth layout which we find works well for us plus having a cut out stern and good side decks with plenty of hand rails making getting on and off when stern on moored or side on easy... warm enough in the winter and great when the weather is playing ball allowing the electric sliding canopy open.

All I can say is go and view as many styles as possible and get a feel of what suits and meets your needs more than others that then should help your decision a little easier as to what design/style is best for you.

With the weather being reasonably mild I'm sure you will find owners waking their boats up from the winter over the next couple of weekends at their marinas and I'm sure they would gladly answer any questions you might have... I'll be up at mine from tomorrow  evening getting it washed and cleaned over the weekend come rain or shine lol..

I went looking up your boat on the net and what a difference. Your centre cockpit looks totally different to the aft cockpit.

I find odd they call both a 950.

An update on the wooden Bourne, apart from the loo been told by the broker that it is suffering from osmosis. Been on the market for a year, apparently, now price reduced. £ = osmosis maybe. I know lots of grp boats suffer from it to some extent.

Just read the ideal way to fix it penned by a surveyor. Sound a time consuming exercise with obviously the associated expense.