Boat Wanted.

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It is in any brokers interested to price a boat at a price that they envisage a relatively quick sale , no money in filling their marinas with over priced boats that don’t sell .

That said , a decent surveyor will be able to give you a genuine / true value (in their opinion).

When we were searching we had to up our budget considerably to find what we wanted and ended up very happy we did so .

Happy end result.

Don't know what your budget is, but this is a nice boat that my sister has seen and been on board today. A lot of money spent on it and immaculate, also it's a Haines, beautifully built boats..

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/haines-26-aft-cockpit/

These hold there value and could be a great first boat

https://www.broadlandyachtbrokers.co.uk/boats/392 

Also a nice boat. Don't worry about location, road transport isn't that expensive.

https://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/boat-spec.php?BoatID=8204392 

Hope that helps.

Hello everyone. This is my first post so be gentle with me. Here's my tuppence worth.

I've owned 2 Viking boats both with an outboard. The petrol issue is a bit of a faff but not a difficulty that would put me off buying a boat I liked. The Viking 275s mentioned will be able to hold 2x25 litre fuel tanks. Or as I had 1x25 litre and 1x10 litre fuel tank plus 2x 10 litre Jerry cans for refills. All of these fit quite easily in the fuel locker so there were no safety issues. To get fuel you will need to walk to a petrol station and in fairness I wished they were a bit closer to the river. But good exercise for those who like that sort of thing. The outboard engines are really easy to maintain and make for very quiet cruising.

Regarding the Shetland 29i that's for sale. I looked at this boat 2 yrs ago at NYA when it was for sale for £64000 ish. A lovely boat in my opinion. For some reason it has had two owners in 18 months. It is approximately £8000 more than 2 years ago which is what has happened to most prices since Covid. I do think it is pricey.

I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bogart said:

They may not be a bad idea if it does nothing else but eliminate some designs. Only problem I see with this is that the hire boat market does not necessarily provide what I am looking at/for.

Yes depends on whether you want a Broads boat or a boat to be used on the Broads, personally we opted for the first option for comfort and practicality not style and have never regretted it.

Fred

Think I know that boat in the link Matt posted.

I think it is an original Bosun built by Brooms for the hire fleet just before Brooms gave up hiring in late 2000 - its been at Upton since then - my guess it would only have been in hire for a relatively short period.

Quality boat, well built and solid. Price about right so won't hang around long!

19 hours ago, PaulN said:

Don't know what your budget is, but this is a nice boat that my sister has seen and been on board today. A lot of money spent on it and immaculate, also it's a Haines, beautifully built boats..

Also a nice boat. Don't worry about location, road transport isn't that expensive.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

The Haines is very nice but more than I want to spend on a first boat. Have set a limit of £100k

The old girl might be worth a punt, lol, as a first time experience.

The Sheerline  looks nice but never envisaged spending that much on a boat 23 years old.

19 hours ago, Troyboy said:

Hello everyone. This is my first post so be gentle with me. Here's my tuppence worth.

I've owned 2 Viking boats both with an outboard. The petrol issue is a bit of a faff but not a difficulty that would put me off buying a boat I liked. The Viking 275s mentioned will be able to hold 2x25 litre fuel tanks. Or as I had 1x25 litre and 1x10 litre fuel tank plus 2x 10 litre Jerry cans for refills. All of these fit quite easily in the fuel locker so there were no safety issues. To get fuel you will need to walk to a petrol station and in fairness I wished they were a bit closer to the river. But good exercise for those who like that sort of thing. The outboard engines are really easy to maintain and make for very quiet cruising.

Regarding the Shetland 29i that's for sale. I looked at this boat 2 yrs ago at NYA when it was for sale for £64000 ish. A lovely boat in my opinion. For some reason it has had two owners in 18 months. It is approximately £8000 more than 2 years ago which is what has happened to most prices since Covid. I do think it is pricey.

I hope this helps. 

Good that you have had experience of the boats with outboards. I would really hate to go outboard thinking the petrol obtaining effort was minimal and then find it a real drag. I think they will be stuck with the 29i for a while. Do I assume they have had it all this time. Mind you is now showing as sold, so what do I know.

18 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Yes depends on whether you want a Broads boat or a boat to be used on the Broads, personally we opted for the first option for comfort and practicality not style and have never regretted it.

Fred

Yes is a quandary as they sound similar but are far from it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt said:

Link

Saw this one come up today privately. I don’t know much about the design but they do seem popular.

My wife took a look at one of these this week and was not overly impressed by how they look. I am not fussed really and think they look okay. Again I have no idea about what is a good price or not. There was mention earlier in this thread of the same craft but a 35ft. Tried to contact the owner but no response.

20 hours ago, PaulN said:

Hope that helps.

Back on the Bounty 28. There are so many out of date ads floating about is unbelievable. This boat for example startes repaint in 2013 nearly 10 years ago and mooring and licence till 2016:default_blink:

29 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Link

on this type of boat you would get all you will ever need for half your budget,  a season on the river and if it does not suit sell it on and you will not lose money the way the market is at present

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogart said:

Have decide I will spend next 3 days touring the broads and just asking owners their opinions. Is there anywhere that stands out as a good location to descend on poor innocent boaters?

Probably no where much for another month or so but as marshman said it will be your choice, there will be votes for or against every size, shape and type of boat on the water depending on peoples criteria, you need to decide what`s more important to you practicality or looks and how much time you expect to spend aboard ie weeks or weekends.

Major criteria for me would be ease and safety of moving around the outside when mooring and getting on and off with different bank heights, stability with the difference between narrow beam and wide beam including handling in a common Norfolk wind, then comfort and storage. style for me is centre cockpit but that`s personal choice.

Fred

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Probably no where much for another month or so but as marshman said it will be your choice, there will be votes for or against every size, shape and type of boat on the water depending on peoples criteria, you need to decide what`s more important to you practicality or looks and how much time you expect to spend aboard ie weeks or weekends.

Major criteria for me would be ease and safety of moving around the outside when mooring and getting on and off with different bank heights, stability with the difference between narrow beam and wide beam including handling in a common Norfolk wind, then comfort and storage. style for me is centre cockpit but that`s personal choice.

Fred

The thing is until I talk to people, as I have here, I may be totally unaware of factors that I have not even knew existed.

With no disrespect to the reply by Marshman 'The point remains YOU have to make the decision!  it does help me

if I am unaware of any glaring errors I may have in my needs, or more correctly my perceived needs.

1 minute ago, Bogart said:

The thing is until I talk to people, as I have here, I may be totally unaware of factors that I have not even knew existed.

With no disrespect to the reply by Marshman 'The point remains YOU have to make the decision!  it does help me

if I am unaware of any glaring errors I may have in my needs, or more correctly my perceived needs.

No harm in asking just the opposite all power to you for doing so as a learning curve.

Fred

40 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

A question why centre cockpit?

46 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Everyone has their own opinion and collecting opinions will surely only serve to confuse.    Some folk like single level forward steer (bathtubs), because they’re convenient and can cruise most of the network, whilst others want to see more than reeds and sit higher with a better view.  This is perhaps why centre cockpit are popular, as they offer a low airdraft for passage under most bridges with canopy and screen lowered, whilst having a higher helm and seating with the canopy up.

We have a sedan style cruiser, as with no canopy there are fewer draughts, so maybe better to use through the winter, but is less able to negotiate low bridges due to the taller airdraft.  There is no design of cruiser that will be the best all of the time.  There will always be a compromise, whatever anyone says.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t contemplate buying a boat with an outboard.  Carrying petrol is an unnecessary inconvenience, heating in the boat is more difficult etc.    The style and internal layout of a Viking is very similar to a Shetland with an inboard diesel and much preferable for that reason.

If you want an aft cockpit cruiser, why not look at a Sheerline 950 like this:  https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/sheerline-950-aft-cockpit-for-sale/689548   Being a Sheerline, the internal fit and finish will be excellent and there is no reason that if we’ll looked after, this one wouldn’t be eminently suitable.