Boat Wanted.

That Bosun would be an excellent starter boat - if you didn't like it (you will!! ), sell it on after a year or so and you will not lose money! By then you will know what you want exactly and then you can buy it!

Personally I would not want a centre cockpit boat - but thats my choice. The Bosun is just the back end of the AF Diamond - same mould even.

BUT don't waste your money on a new boat like the Nautic 900 - who wants a 60hp outboard on the Broads? You can almost certainly not use that amount of grunt and I doubt even if its happy running on E10 petrol - too sophisticated!! The Bosun very probably has the Perkins MC42 engine in it - a good old Broads thumper running on good old diesel . I use less than 2l an hour running mine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogart said:

A question why centre cockpit?

For me It's the best of all worlds low enough for all bridges, reasonably high good view when steering, ok with canopy closed in bad weather but good with canopy open in good weather mine is a AF 38 plenty of comfort for 2 but comfortable when entertaining, also handles well in all conditions.

Fred

ask 100 different people what is the best boat and you will get 120 different answers, and you will probably pick a different one.

as mentioned there are a lot of options, petrol engines, not only is there getting it to the boat, but with the new petrol it has a short shelf life, so goes off fairly rapidly, so leaving a full tank over winter, and  you may well find yourself stripping the engine down and cleaning it t get it running. - just my opinion though.

if you asked me I would tell you a wooden centre cockpit boat, because  thats what I like, go for a marthams judith, juliette or janet, and they will go under potter heigham bridge most of the time.

but thats just me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

. . . . . . . . . . . if you asked me I would tell you a wooden centre cockpit boat, because  thats what I like, go for a marthams judith, juliette or janet, and they will go under potter heigham bridge most of the time . . . . . . . . . . . .

And cost a small fortune (as well as a kidney) for ongoing maintenance!!

But as you said, that’s just you!!

In truth, I love the look of a beautifully kept wooden cruiser, but lack the skill, patience and deep pockets required to keep it that way, so tupperware it is for me!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

For me It's the best of all worlds low enough for all bridges, reasonably high good view when steering, ok with canopy closed in bad weather but good with canopy open in good weather mine is a AF 38 plenty of comfort for 2 but comfortable when entertaining, also handles well in all conditions.

been there and got the t-shirt fred,  but as old age crept up on me i down sized to something shorter and flatter

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Everyone has their own opinion and collecting opinions will surely only serve to confuse.    Some folk like single level forward steer (bathtubs), because they’re convenient and can cruise most of the network, whilst others want to see more than reeds and sit higher with a better view.  This is perhaps why centre cockpit are popular, as they offer a low airdraft for passage under most bridges with canopy and screen lowered, whilst having a higher helm and seating with the canopy up.

We have a sedan style cruiser, as with no canopy there are fewer draughts, so maybe better to use through the winter, but is less able to negotiate low bridges due to the taller airdraft.  There is no design of cruiser that will be the best all of the time.  There will always be a compromise, whatever anyone says.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t contemplate buying a boat with an outboard.  Carrying petrol is an unnecessary inconvenience, heating in the boat is more difficult etc.    The style and internal layout of a Viking is very similar to a Shetland with an inboard diesel and much preferable for that reason.

If you want an aft cockpit cruiser, why not look at a Sheerline 950 like this:  https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/sheerline-950-aft-cockpit-for-sale/689548   Being a Sheerline, the internal fit and finish will be excellent and there is no reason that if we’ll looked after, this one wouldn’t be eminently suitable.

Am coming round to the mindset that petrol is not the best option for the Broads.

4 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

Right Fred:default_biggrin:

Agree with what others have said regarding what is suitable and meets your needs and requirements regarding boat style design and fit out.

We changed our boat due to the Mrs having mobility issues (previous boat was 2014 Shetland 27i) and waited for over 6 months for our current boat to find us/come to market as we wanted a specific layout.

We now have Sheerline 950 centre cockpit but with a 5 berth layout which we find works well for us plus having a cut out stern and good side decks with plenty of hand rails making getting on and off when stern on moored or side on easy... warm enough in the winter and great when the weather is playing ball allowing the electric sliding canopy open.

All I can say is go and view as many styles as possible and get a feel of what suits and meets your needs more than others that then should help your decision a little easier as to what design/style is best for you.

With the weather being reasonably mild I'm sure you will find owners waking their boats up from the winter over the next couple of weekends at their marinas and I'm sure they would gladly answer any questions you might have... I'll be up at mine from tomorrow  evening getting it washed and cleaned over the weekend come rain or shine lol..

The absolute classic "Katja"  is still for sale @ €190K. Launched 1929 by Brookes of Lowestoft for the yards owner Mawdesley Brooke and named after a daughter it would a wonderful delivery trip to bring her back home.Screenshot_20220211-054426_Chrome.thumb.jpg.358fc19ccdebab348fb5a7ce69c88a57.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-054448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b5e29d0eda360dba9f6d25cc89c8a000.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-054513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.60e6fcdb991e034843ac6fe09a0422ca.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-054531_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64f1050cb0759f05f95ccf32dd629119.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-054548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0b00ac74c791cbe968607f657d12c344.jpg

17 hours ago, Oldspice said:

Agree with what others have said regarding what is suitable and meets your needs and requirements regarding boat style design and fit out.

We changed our boat due to the Mrs having mobility issues (previous boat was 2014 Shetland 27i) and waited for over 6 months for our current boat to find us/come to market as we wanted a specific layout.

We now have Sheerline 950 centre cockpit but with a 5 berth layout which we find works well for us plus having a cut out stern and good side decks with plenty of hand rails making getting on and off when stern on moored or side on easy... warm enough in the winter and great when the weather is playing ball allowing the electric sliding canopy open.

All I can say is go and view as many styles as possible and get a feel of what suits and meets your needs more than others that then should help your decision a little easier as to what design/style is best for you.

With the weather being reasonably mild I'm sure you will find owners waking their boats up from the winter over the next couple of weekends at their marinas and I'm sure they would gladly answer any questions you might have... I'll be up at mine from tomorrow  evening getting it washed and cleaned over the weekend come rain or shine lol..

Thanks am going to wander around the broads this weekend .

10 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Right now there are two places, north and south with spaces.

Clive has space at Brundall, I was looking at moving this year so contacted him, also thought about moving north but after lots of pondering we have decided it's too nice at Beccles to go, even  after over 10 years there for me , will be stopping longer.

Paul.

• Like 3

On 12/02/2022 at 11:10, PaulN said:

Should you buy a boat, do you have a mooring lined up? If not I'd make inquiries about those too, as they're not easy to come by, particularly for the most popular locations. 

The mooring situation, at present, is not as bad as I thought it might be.

35 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Yet another boat that took my liking. I know one is told to stay away from wooden boats. Is that all wood or just wooden hulls. I do like the look of this but with my lack of knowledge is probably totally unsuitable.

https://www.boatshowrooms.com/boats-for-sale/london/classic-bourne-34/

Best of both worlds glass bottom and wood top, they make great boats.  

52 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Yet another boat that took my liking. I know one is told to stay away from wooden boats. Is that all wood or just wooden hulls. I do like the look of this but with my lack of knowledge is probably totally unsuitable.

https://www.boatshowrooms.com/boats-for-sale/london/classic-bourne-34/

That's been up for sale for quite a long time.....  looks like two log burners, one of which is smoking via the engine exhaust....

• Haha 1