Boat Wanted.

34 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The best fix for osmosis is negotiate a price drop then ignore it, no one has sunk from it, there's a lot of scare stories about it, if it's taken 40 years to get a rash of blisters it will do 40 more.

Watched a narrowboat video the other evening where the owner said the same. No one has sunk from it yet, first time for everything. Now why am I looking in the mirror?:default_biggrin:

33 minutes ago, Oldspice said:

Should have added CC .. centre cockpit and AC is the aft cockpit version .

That's the same for quite a few models of boat, where the basic hull is the same but the superstructure is different - like Sedan, Aft Cockpit, Aft Cabin, Centre Cockpit, Fly Bridge etc.

Thr 950 aft cockpit is a totally different boat from the centre cockpit. They share a hull and that's about all. The superstructure is completely different with the ac having a canopy and the cc  having a sliding roof. The ac has a very sociable cockpit, great when you have visitors. The saloon has 2 different layout options One has a dinette arrangement and the other has a semi circular sofa.  Our 950 ac had the dinette.  There are other basic differences too,  such as the layout of the forward berth and the tricab.  Ours was a very comfortable boat and we loved the quality - so much so that our next boat was a Sheerline 1050 ac. That was a really lovely boat which we only sold after 11 years because we are a  bit long  in the tooth and it was getting too much for us to manage.  We had thought to give up boating but what with lock down happening we just missed it too much.  We've just bought a Renaissance 31 which is less to manage maintenance wise and we had it delivered to Sheerline from the Thames to have some mod cons fitted by them. It's still there awaiting the fittting of a new canopy and we can't wait to get started with her in the Spring.

Carole

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

No such thing, but we have only had the one boat in 17 years of ownership, we tried several styles in our 20+ years of hiring  so had a pretty good idea and then spent a year or so looking for the right one.

Fred

Can’t argue with that thorough research Fred. 
I think most of us are so keen to get afloat when the funds become available we just jump in. 
It would be interesting to know what proportion of boat owners of say 5 or 10 years on the broads and elsewhere are still with their first boat ?  my monies on not the biggest proportion. 

• Like 1

As some of you will know, Lovejoy was reduced in price quite dramatically due to osmosis.

I counted about 4 million little blisters and bubbles and badly patched areas of the dreaded "O" 539390343_HullGround.thumb.jpg.4a20f92a0c15e8a29f54474bf6426053.jpg

When the boat was out of the water I spent about a day and a half grinding out all the bubble. It was left for a week or so to dry out a bit and then Robin did his stuff with posh epoxy filler and patched everything up in a couple of days. 

It probably didnt need doing apart from the massive bit where a yard in Beccles dragged a 35 ft boat out on a 20ft trailer and cracked the keel. They then slapped a quick coat of glass mat over it, anti fouled and threw it back in the water. I touched that with a screwdriver and it all fell off emptying the bilge all over me. 

It was suggested that a full osmosis treatment would be anywhere from £5k to £15k

I can assure you it was a lot less than this as a diy project. 4 days labour (mine and Robins) and a load of epoxy filler sorted it. It came out in December and there has been no significant deterioration (on the hull anyway) after a year ofv floating about. 

Get a discount, buy the boat and treat the "O" when it next comes out for an antifoul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lastdraft said:

Can’t argue with that thorough research Fred. 
I think most of us are so keen to get afloat when the funds become available we just jump in. 
It would be interesting to know what proportion of boat owners of say 5 or 10 years on the broads and elsewhere are still with their first boat ?  my monies on not the biggest proportion. 

I know several some have had theirs longer than me but I also know several on their 3rd 4th even 5th boat.

To me a boat is probably the 2nd biggest purchase a person is likely to make only their home surpasing it therefore why wouldn't you want to get it right, do you buy a car on a whim or do you make sure it meets your needs first.

The OP to me has got it right he is trying to identify what suits his needs before making a purchase and in that I support his approach and not advising buy I boat and if you  dont like it change it seems the right advice.

Fred

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Bogart Steel rusts little under water it is stronger than fibreglass will resist collisions easier to screw to but will rust if paint is chipped of,will touching up if chipped  is colder and noisier unless insulated,  steel is cheaper to build but is more difficult to have roundy corners,  steel doesn't need to be lifted out each year unlike fibreglass does to prevent osmosis,  can be repainted easily,  but not as easerly shaped as fibreglass is so often not as attractive,  but steel boats often last longer. swings and roundabouts,for and against. BUT if second hand immaculate boat is cheaper in the long run unless you are skilled and have premises to rebuild a boat along with lots of time. John

I see Cool Breeze is back up for sale Bogart. Its a Viking Seamaster 28 with an inboard diesel engine. The 1st owners had it moored near us at our marina. I think they had it for approximately 6 to 7 yrs. It wanted for nothing and really was looked after well. Very nice boat. The only downside is that it has a cassette toilet. Not the end of the world but pump out is better.

There is also a Faircraft 33 aft cockpit for sale at St Olaves marina. Advertised on Boatshed Norfolk. It has a modern looking refit but I don't know anything else about it. I hope this helps.

As we have become boat less recently and looking for a new boat at the moment we considered looking at these 2 but the cassette toilet was not an option, and the faircraft offering didn’t have a second mate viewing seat opposite the  helmsman's seat . But hopefully we got sorted this weekend as offer accepted on a boat we have loved the design of for a few years 😉

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I noticed Norfolk Boats Sales listed an Aquafibre Diamond 43 over the weekend for £79,950, it's under offer already!

Keep an eye on it, wouldn't be the first time that the 'under offer' banner has gone on instead of the 'new in' one......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Keep an eye on it, wouldn't be the first time that the 'under offer' banner has gone on instead of the 'new in' one......

It’s a lot of boat for the money and not much more expensive than a Diamond 35 that they’ve recently had on their website.  Interestingly, both of them are ex Moores craft (I think).

Not many 43’s were built, so a rare opportunity for someone.

She's a dual steer, but doesn't have the extra stick-on moulding for the upper windscreens. I think she looks better not having that.

In the current market I'd say £80K is about right for that boat as she's in good condition.

Yes, she's an ex Moores / GoBoating hire boat.

And no, I don't fancy the running costs of a 43ft boat either. It's a good 12% on top of something like a Pearl 38 which is probably big enough for most people.