Auto-inflating Life Jacket Recommendations.

Broads01

Something like this would be suitable:

https://www.brianwards.co.uk/product/automatic-lifejacket-navy-165n/?highlight=Auto life jacket

You could phone them to make sure they have one in and collect it on your way to Silverline.  Brian Ward aren’t open on Saturdays now, but I think you are starting on a different day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annv said:

Hi have you checked where its made. Crew saver tend to be the  choice of Police,   Harbor Authertys, life boats  etc

Frankly, whilst I appreciate that you can’t put a price on safety, for a hirer using a life vest once or twice a year, something like the Seago is more than adequate.  It’s a bit like buying tools - for the average diy-er, buying King Dick or Snap-On to do small jobs on their car would be a waste of money, but for someone who uses them on a daily basis for their job, it’s money we’ll spent.

• Like 1

Got ours from Boulters in Hoverton just out of town on the industrial estate last year. Also there is the chance to sign up for one of their loyalty cards that offers some discount as well. 

best regards 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Not all Safety Authorities actually even recommend auto inflates - they reckon for the Broads the vest that canoeists and many paddle boarders use are more than adequate. However each to their own and without a doubt Crewsaver are head and shoulders above the other cheaper imitations - having said that the 175 they are more than adequate for offshore so should be ok on the Broads.

If you do as they say and actually wear it all the time however you should check daily that the bulb is screwed in - it is not uncommon that they become loose and fail to activate. Please check daily it has not worked loose - thats the primary downside to the auto inflates as they do require more checking and maintenance.

• Like 1

There is only one company for me:- SeaSafe in Cowes I.O.W.

www.seasafe.co.uk

When you order they normally manufacture it absolutely new for you and when you want it serviced they have a collection point at Tingdene Brundall Bay and Reedham.

They do the whole range of safety at sea products. Not the cheapest, bt cheapest is rarely best value.

20220322_114637.thumb.jpg.ab01fae5fb11339e20dd856e271c9573.jpg

We have 4 175 auto-inflate life jackets and several life vests of size varring size aboard  I check the condition on the Ranworth Breeze I check them every time I am aboard and replace the activators and CO2 bottles for tightness and use by date. with any life jacket it is a must to have a crotch strap fitted.

• Like 1

But checking dates and tightness of bottles does not compare to having a professional service where one of the most important aspects is "The Over Pressure Inflation Test" where the jacket is inflated over pressure over a period of time under controlled temperature conditions.

30% of jackets looked at by the RNLI fail, much to the surprise of their owners, who believe theirs will be spot on.

I blow mine up with a pump to firm each year and leave for 24 hours.

I don't worry about cylinder date as a leaky cylinder is given away by the jacket being inflated (cylinder is inside) but check tightness and activator date, mine are hammar type.

I forgot to add that SeaSafe offer a choice of covers and an embroidery service for yours or your boat name. My jacket is blue for boating but I have a Harris Tweed  for shooting along river banks and over ponds and lakes.

Not Me:-

HARRIS-TWEED-HERRINGBONE-STYLE-SEASAFE-2.thumb.jpg.592339e2eadc14b42914ef8d03405801.jpg