How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

What a day, or even last few days.

There are many jobs that need doing on Nyx. Some I shall pay to have done as they are beyond my skills, others I shall tackle myself.

This morning I was considering one such job whilst enjoying a small libation when, after a few hours, someone came along with some maggots he'd finished with. I accepted them with some glee. Now I realize that I've been sitting here (with a small libation) thinking about doing some fishing.

I really need to pull myself together and get back to considering the job I was thinking about, with of course a fresh small libation

I never realized living on a boat was such a hectic lifestyle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

Your life does sound far too hectic MauriceMynah, maybe if you try streamlining.

I suggest having a try at forgetting about the "one such job" and skipping the fishing and just concentrate on the small libations for now and see how you manage with that

Glad to be of help, if there is one thing I know, it is...

s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶b̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶

n̶o̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶

streamlining :default_smile:

Maybe the problem is the small libations,  you could consolidate them into one huge libation leaving more time for considering the job, chances are you could consider it much harder with multiple large consolidated libations.

Just sayin'

• Haha 1

Well !   As it turned out, it has been a constructive day after all !!

I finally removed myself from my chair and, libation in hand, set to work. After two hours of hard labouring, my efforts were rewarded with a small roach of approximately five inches.

I think that deserves a small celebratory drink. Now, where's the Gin?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think that deserves a small celebratory drink. Now, where's the Gin?

As long as you meant a large gin, that is just the tonic :default_smile:

My Consultant, a gentleman of undoubtedly knowledge and experience, told me during my darkest hours, to keep my spirits up and drink plenty of fluids.

After several nips of an exceedingly good malt accompanied by one or two pints of a well known Suffolk tonsil rinse may I strongly recommend this panacea of all ills.

I retire at night, feeling somewhat mellow, content, wondering what delights my dreams have in store.

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I suspect I know your consultant, possibly a fine fellow who ran away to France, to eat cheese and drink excessive quantities of fine wine. Can I ever trust him again? I sometimes wonder !!!

Qui? Moi?

Just remember what my father taught me - never drink anything you can't see through.  It's good advice, when you think about it!

Whenever my father had a cough or a cold, it was always because he had been drinking out of a damp glass.

• Like 4

Well well well, life's a funny old bowl of cherries isn't it. Here I sit at 9:30 in the evening, customary small libation in hand and pondering the surprises of the day. Today I held both a cordless drill and a screwdriver (not at the same time) in my hand, and my efforts were rewarded.

In the forward loo,under the hand basin, there was an inspection cover. I removed said cover and inspected. I found an enormous cavern of wasted space. This was something that needed considering. Equipping myself with the appropriate glass full, I had a think. There was a couple of pipes, but not really in the way. I removed the trim on one side, replacing it with three hinges, and on the other side installed a magnetic catch.

Ok, it's not the most accessible of cupboards, but it's perfect for things that are seldom used. Now, I know that for some of you keen DIYers, to call what I have achieved "basic" would be understating it, but for me, I feel like that Brunel Chappie after he knocked up that bridge in the west country.

I put my pride for this effort down to being an only child, something that I discovered when I was quite young. My sister and I were sitting on the stairs listening to our parents arguing. (You did what you could for entertainment back in those days) when mother raised her voice and shouted " You can't throw them out, they're only children"

So the truth was out, we were both only children. Neither my sister have had any problems from being an only child but that's probably because we shared the same parents.  However, I digress.

Looking in the loo in the aft area, I see a similar inspection cover and will investigate it to see if I can repeat today's success.

Just before I sign off, there is one more thing I'd like to mention. Thanks to Mr Amazon, I have several packages to collect. I know this will surprise many of you, but in those packages there are three scrubbing brushes, some car cleaning sponges and a five litre pot of traffic film remover. (I was told that's what the boatyards use to clean their boat's) Yes, it's true. All waiting for me to collect.  And just after I've constructed a cupboard for things I rarely use.

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well well well, life's a funny old bowl of cherries isn't it. Here I sit at 9:30 in the evening, customary small libation in hand and pondering the surprises of the day. Today I held both a cordless drill and a screwdriver (not at the same time) in my hand, and my efforts were rewarded.

In the forward loo,under the hand basin, there was an inspection cover. I removed said cover and inspected. I found an enormous cavern of wasted space. This was something that needed considering. Equipping myself with the appropriate glass full, I had a think. There was a couple of pipes, but not really in the way. I removed the trim on one side, replacing it with three hinges, and on the other side installed a magnetic catch.

Ok, it's not the most accessible of cupboards, but it's perfect for things that are seldom used. Now, I know that for some of you keen DIYers, to call what I have achieved "basic" would be understating it, but for me, I feel like that Brunel Chappie after he knocked up that bridge in the west country.

I put my pride for this effort down to being an only child, something that I discovered when I was quite young. My sister and I were sitting on the stairs listening to our parents arguing. (You did what you could for entertainment back in those days) when mother raised her voice and shouted " You can't throw them out, they're only children"

So the truth was out, we were both only children. Neither my sister have had any problems from being an only child but that's probably because we shared the same parents.  However, I digress.

Looking in the loo in the aft area, I see a similar inspection cover and will investigate it to see if I can repeat today's success.

Just before I sign off, there is one more thing I'd like to mention. Thanks to Mr Amazon, I have several packages to collect. I know this will surprise many of you, but in those packages there are three scrubbing brushes, some car cleaning sponges and a five litre pot of traffic film remover. (I was told that's what the boatyards use to clean their boat's) Yes, it's true. All waiting for me to collect.  And just after I've constructed a cupboard for things I rarely use.

Blimey

Wore me out just reading that.

I think you need a lay down.

I certainly do.

With an appropriate libation of course.

36 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Like 3 scrubbing brushes and some car cleaning sponges.... 

Or even better, a large bottle of a favourite libation for safe keeping. You know Amazon collect and refund any uncollected purchases right :default_wink:

Your description of your and your sisters status as only children is written in the manner of one of (IMHO) the finest comedians to have lived , the late and much missed Spike Milligan whose acceptance speech and response to a congratulatory letter from the Prince of Wales at the British Comedy Awards is pure “gold”

https://youtu.be/TkOAUht3G5o

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Like 3 scrubbing brushes and some car cleaning sponges.... 

I would be careful what you clean with those.  Boat "patina" consists largely of algae and, as any fule kno, algae fixes carbon via the process of photosynthesis. With a little less effort you could be carbon-neutral by 2025😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my oh my, life raises it's curious eyebrows at me once more.

Whilst I was enjoying my habitual libation the other evening, I found myself wondering why it was that I kept the various component parts of said libation in different places, those parts being Gin, tonic, Campari, and ice.

Now, ice has to be kept in the freezer part of the refrigerator, not a lot I can do about that. The other three items were spread about over three different places. This was poor organization and something not to be up with put.

Time for some analytical thinking. Result, my booze cupboard was too small. WARNING, Those who know me to be a lazy work shy idle little git should look away now.

I dismantled my booze cabinet looked at the space now available, which was vast, remantled it, poured a fresh libation and had a think.

Those of you who didn't look away after the first warning really had better look away now.

I found myself in the DIY department of a well known store in Hoveton, purchasing three pieces of wood and three saws. ( I wasn't sure which one to use ).

Now prepare yourselves for a, no, three massive shocks. First of which is that my neighbours after hearing the sounds of sawing heard the clear sound of me shouting "Oh s*** ", and after each sound of drilling " Oh b***** "

Shock number two is that I didn't give up, as would normally be the case , but shock number three is that I woke up this morning with an extended booze cabinet capable of taking all my booze and looking not at all shabby

And it was all my own worth !!!

I am looking forward to this afternoon when I will be pouring out my libation with both a smug smile and enough Elastoplast left to accommodate my next venture into DIY.

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

I think we need some photographic proof of said DIY results, lest we do not believe it isn't a figment of your libation fed imagination ....

Having said that, I tip my hat to your effort at improving efficiency and hence energy conservation in your life. We should all take a leaf out of MM's book - if every household improved it's efficiency and reduced energy consumption, the country would be in a much better state.

• Like 1