How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

Genuine question - I too heard a diesel heater exhaust on Sunday evening and Monday morning when moored on the riverside at wroxham broad. 
I thought it a bit odd. 

But it made me wonder - my eberspacher diesel heater has a ‘ cold’ mode. I’ve just turned it on to investigate and sure enough, from outside the boat you can hear the heater exhaust blowing out of the exhaust outlet.

I wonder if that’s what we were hearing MM. 

Does this system work as a cold fan unit?
And if so, how much 12v does it take out of the batteries and does it use diesel to do so?

If it doesn’t take any battery power, it will be a useful asset in weeks like the current one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

In cold mode it's just the fan running so will use power but not diesel, less power than heating as no glow plug.

Thanks. And presumably it doesn’t do any harm to the unit to run the fan like that?

30 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Thanks. And presumably it doesn’t do any harm to the unit to run the fan like that?

No reason why it should or they wouldn't give the option, I've used mine like it before so it blew cooler air into the berth while we were in the pub on a hot sticky day, didn't notice much noise outside though.

Edit: just tried mine and put my head over the side by the exhaust, audible but nothing like hot mode and it's very quiet here as on a mooring bouy in the deben at the moment, even the water is silent despite the incoming tide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So here I am, having my rummed coffee and reading the forum, which had me thinking.

Are the school holidays significantly busier than the rest of the summer season?

I'm not sure that they are.

My parents always used to book the first week in September for cost reasons. It was always busy. When cost was no issue, they would book a fortnight in May, and a fortnight in September, always to avoid all the ruddy kids. By this time I had my own boat on the Broads and had come to the conclusion that as far as the number of kids around went, there was little difference.!

Nor would I say it is significantly busier in the school holidays. 

I would be interested to read other members views, preferably based on personal experience rather than logically considered theories 

Most families are tied up waiting for trains that are on strike so they can get to an airport with no staff or flights so they can go on a proper holiday while their luggage goes on a different holiday to never be seen again, and why wouldn't you prefer to do that???

It would beat relaxing by a riverside pub enjoying a beer or five anyday.... :default_dry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We drove up from Kent to Norfolk yesterday via the A12/A140 and I was struck by how few cars were on the roads.  The rivers also don't seem anywhere near as busy as they have been over the last couple of years. Perhaps people are counting there pennies.

• Like 2

Or perhaps, just perhaps, we are wittnesing customer resistance with regard to the present pricing structure favoured by the hire industry.

We are all heading for a difficult time. Costs rising in every direction. The hire industry depends on disposable income. That disposable income is under pressure. 

Let's give the donkey another whack! 

The donkey could well buckle, give up, despair and seek refuge elsewhere.

• Like 1

As far as Hoseasons yards are concerned, there's just 4 boats available from this weekend for 7 nights, so most of their hire fleet will be out. I think it was the same last week also. School holiday weeks nearly always sell out. September (apart from the first week) also looks to be selling well. My concern is for the future months and next year. Perhaps the worst of it won't really set in until October's fuel cost rises. Disposable income will really be under pressure then across all business sectors. 

On 04/08/2022 at 20:54, Wussername said:

Or perhaps, just perhaps, we are wittnesing customer resistance with regard to the present pricing structure favoured by the hire industry.

We are all heading for a difficult time. Costs rising in every direction. The hire industry depends on disposable income. That disposable income is under pressure. 

Let's give the donkey another whack! 

The donkey could well buckle, give up, despair and seek refuge elsewhere.

Having just been "stiffed" to the tune of £4.75 for half a pint of soft-drink dispenser diet coke by a well-known hostelry in Horning, I don't think the hire industry is the only one that needs to be worried about customer resistance.

• Sad 1

Until now I've not really noticed it being that quiet, maybe everyone is following me making it seem busy!

However, just popped out and noticed a lot of boats in Richardson, (I'm moored here), so I took a little detour around the yard.  Excluding the for sale boats which are clumped together there were at least 30 not on hire, including several of the new ones.  Up until now there's only been 4 or 5 boats in the yard so not sure why the sudden change.

Herbert Woods have a few still in although not as many.

12 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Until now I've not really noticed it being that quiet, maybe everyone is following me making it seem busy!

However, just popped out and noticed a lot of boats in Richardson, (I'm moored here), so I took a little detour around the yard.  Excluding the for sale boats which are clumped together there were at least 30 not on hire, including several of the new ones.  Up until now there's only been 4 or 5 boats in the yard so not sure why the sudden change.

Herbert Woods have a few still in although not as many.

I noticed there were two at Silverline when we returned to base earlier.