How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

55 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, all as Mud Weights do Drag how can you stop that? As when I was Mud Weight in Salhouse Broads year's ago it kept on Dragging so what can you do about that?

Mudweight in corner more sheltered from the wind or a heavier mudweight, longer scope of rope will also help as it has to pull sideways instead of lifting out of the mud.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, all as Mud Weights do Drag how can you stop that? As when I was Mud Weight in Salhouse Broads year's ago it kept on Dragging so what can you do hoesabout that?

Don't mud weight :default_biggrin: Just kidding, I love mud weighting 

As for members having an opinion, I have an opinion on lots of things like shoes, wine, boaty stuff etc and if someone was to tell me to shut up it would have the opposite affect (or is that effect) and I most certainly would not :default_biggrin: My final opinion on this is play nice and give the pesky Mods a break thank you very much x

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi, all as Mud Weights do Drag how can you stop that? As when I was Mud Weight in Salhouse Broads year's ago it kept on Dragging so what can you do about that?

Get a heavier weight, and drop it as fast as you can to allow it to sink into the mud. Winless systems aren’t great as they lower the mud weight too slow.

29 minutes ago, Meantime said:

both lovely in the right circumstances. 

Absolutely and the right circumstance would be doing them both together. You can't beat sipping a good wine sat outside the boat on a beautiful Broad at sunset. That's my opinion anyway :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

OK, so I thoroughly painted myself into a corner. I have had to think long and hard about replying to MT, and to some PMs received. 

I hope this reply will ease any contention I have caused. Firstly to MT, my phrase "consider their place in society" was ill chosen. But, having said that, I am struggling to find another ( better) way to put it. To go further would break some of the forum Ts&Cs. 

Now to repaint the floor.

• Like 1

Oh dear, this evenings incident looks like leading me into more troubled waters. I feel obligated to continue anyway.

This is not what happened, but please indulge me for the moment.

Imagine you and your family are in a family/dog friendly pub. You are all eating when someone walks in with a puppy and sits near you. Sadly after a few minutes, the puppy produces a small brown present complete with it's distinctive odour. Although the owner clears up the mess, he makes no apology and just carries on eating his own food.

How do you feel about this and would you say anything.

If I had been the owner of the puppy, I would be apologizing profusely and would almost certainly pay the bill for your family's meal.

As I said, this was not what happened, in fact, what happened to me this evening was, for me, somewhat worse.

I was sitting having a meal in a pub when a family sat at a table next to me. The youngest child was placed in a highchair. After a few minutes the child suffered what I've heard called, a poonami. The family were not unaware of this, I could tell from their comments. 

However, apology came there none, and when I turned to face them the look I received was very much a "Who do you think you are?"

I left the pub not having finished my meal.

Am I being unreasonable to suggest a child of that age should not have been in the pub in the first place?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Oh dear, this evenings incident looks like leading me into more troubled waters. I feel obligated to continue anyway.

This is not what happened, but please indulge me for the moment.

Imagine you and your family are in a family/dog friendly pub. You are all eating when someone walks in with a puppy and sits near you. Sadly after a few minutes, the puppy produces a small brown present complete with it's distinctive odour. Although the owner clears up the mess, he makes no apology and just carries on eating his own food.

How do you feel about this and would you say anything.

If I had been the owner of the puppy, I would be apologizing profusely and would almost certainly pay the bill for your family's meal.

As I said, this was not what happened, in fact, what happened to me this evening was, for me, somewhat worse.

I was sitting having a meal in a pub when a family sat at a table next to me. The youngest child was placed in a highchair. After a few minutes the child suffered what I've heard called, a poonami. The family were not unaware of this, I could tell from their comments. 

However, apology came there none, and when I turned to face them the look I received was very much a "Who do you think you are?"

I left the pub not having finished my meal.

Am I being unreasonable to suggest a child of that age should not have been in the pub in the first place?

:default_badday:  What is up with these people?  They would have been aware of the risks and asked to be seated where, should this happen, it would not affect someone out to enjoy himself.  However from their reaction, what could you expect?

Want to meet up and have a (lots) of beer with you but can we go somewhere else!?

• Like 1

Things can happen and like some dog owners there are parents who don't act responsibly but please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Why should families with young children not be in a pub for a meal because of a few unreasonable people.

My children have regular meals in pubs, they have done from an early age.They have been taught how to behave in public at an early age too.

I do believe my children will use pubs responsibly and with respect in the future as a result. 

If they don't they will have me to deal with :default_biggrin: x

• Like 4

I do think it unreasonable to suggest that families with young children shouldn’t be in a pub, but also, it’s completely unacceptable for parents not to go and change a nappy immediately in such an environment, even if they are in the middle of their own meal. It’s just basic consideration for other people, a quality that some people seem to sadly lack nowadays. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Things can happen and like some dog owners there are parents who don't act responsibly but please don't tar everyone with the same brush. Why should families with young children not be in a pub for a meal because of a few unreasonable people.

My children have regular meals in pubs, they have done from an early age.They have been taught how to behave in public at an early age too.

I do believe my children will use pubs responsibly and with respect in the future as a result. 

If they don't they will have me to deal with :default_biggrin: x

Gracie.  I am sure your children are old enough to have respect for others.  My comment was regarding children that are a lot younger and need parental guidence.:default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1

We were recently in our local pub with our  son, daughter-in-law  and 2 grandchildren  one aged 4years and one aged  6 months. 

I do agree to earlier comments. We obviously have no objection to youngsters being in pubs , as long as the family are eating but do object to the parents that have no regard for the other customers and seem to dispense all responsibility for their children when they are in there.

• Like 2

Katie and myself both find great joy in watching youngsters playing accompanied with the spouts of laughter that usually occur.

However , watching children playing beside the waterways where there is zero parental observation I find most disturbing and irresponsible .

When our children were young , yes , we went into pubs but we always left at a reasonable hour , the children were not left unattended and if they were infants and started crying we left the bar, similar if our child soiled their nappy then Kate would remove them to the ladies and change them.

People pay good money for babysitters/childminders and should not expect to take on that responsibility ,for neglectful parents/carers, on their rare evenings out .

As you know we have a puppy and before we go into a hostelry we walk her ensuring , that she “empties”, she also gives us signals that we recognise if she needs to go outside , that said mistakes can happen and it is about the manner in which they are corrected that I find important.

• Like 5

Thank you all for the poonami replies, I shall try to be more tolerant of the younger pub customers in future.

Now, I've been thinking! 

As you all know, I'm a busy man. Boats don't clean themselves you know! When I'm enjoying a spare moment or two, to accompany my small libation I catch up on what's been  happening on the forum.

Next to each post there is a small picture, an avitar I believe it's called. Sometimes I'd like a closer look at it. Is there a way of doing this?

Earlier today, with my morning coffee I was musing over how lucky our moderators were. Nothing to do all day but sit about and try to control some of our more unruly contributors ( of which of course there are very few ) and see fair play. What a life eh!

So, I thought, could it be possible for one of them ( I don't mind which one ) to enable readers to have a closer looksee at the avitars?

What think you?

"Thinks"...   I'm going to catch hell for this 😁

• Like 1