How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

not to worry too much Andrew, that only gives a diameter around 17", so the doors should be wider than that, can you put on weight, easily if you choose the fine life and drinks and a good meal every day in the pub, conversely if you cook for yourself and eat salads you can lose weight too (basically, it all comes down to what you eat, and how it compares to what you normally eat when not on holiday.

I have ice! 

Ti's true, my new super duper fridge is in, on, and producing the frozen nectar required for libations.

Sanity recovered and normality restored (within mynah boundaries) so happy bunny am I.

The mudweight winch ( the Blair winch project) is coming along nicely and should be done in the next few days.

So all in my world is peachy and roses..... well almost!

Whilst replacing the fridge, I stood on a bit of floor, and felt some give. I bounced on it gently and yes, there is some rot there. 

Here we go again.

• Like 4

Oh deary deary me. I seem to have encountered a problem that once again has me running to all you fine readers.

Yesterday, at the crack of dawn (09:00) I suffered from a 12v power cut. That is to say, my cabin TV turned itself off, forcing me out of my pit and into some form activity.

I decided to see if I could breathe some life into a laptop I'd not used for some months.  Frustration abounded so to help relax me, I turned on the TV in the saloon. After a while, that TV also turned itself off. 

Conclusion.   Either both the cabin and the saloon inverters had conspired to increase my IQ by denying me the opportunity to watch the soapbox racing, or I have a 12v power problem. 

I don't like coincidences so I started to list the possible options an changes.

1. New fridge

2. Work on electrics for winch.

3. Battery charger failure.  or

4. Batteries are old.

Now dear reader, I have to ask, how do I check the condition of all 4 domestic batteries?

I think I see more open wallet surgery on it's way. 

22 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

1. New fridge

2. Work on electrics for winch.

3. Battery charger failure.  or

4. Batteries are old.

Could have been any one or all of the above.

1st question : were you on shore power at the time?

2/. If not, have you been cruising enough to charge your batteries? 

3/. 12 volt TVs take a lot of power ; perhaps more than you think.  They will also cut out automatically when the voltage gets below about 11.5, to protect their own circuits.

4/. So were other things still running, such as water pump and lights?  If so, you may just be suffering from a lack of battery charge.

5/. If your batteries are lead/acid type you can test them with a hydrometer.  This will immediately show you if you have a dead cell in one battery, which is draining the others.  If they are AGM batteries you will need to disconnect them from each other, before testing them with an electronic tester.  DO NOT use a drop tester.

I suggest you start the engine and have a cruise around for a few hours and then see what happens!

• Like 2

If you only have 10v that is a problem.

Start the engine.

If it starts, then your engine battery will NOT be the one on 10volts!

If it starts, then the domestics should start to take a charge. This may only show show about 11 volts on the meter at first.  The voltage will mount slowly, over the space of an hour or so. If it doesn't mount, then your domestic batteries are too low to accept a charge.

Let me know if the engine starts or not and we will take it from there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@annv I've no idea if shore power was on or off when winch was fitted. Battery charger is always on when I'm on shore power. Fridge and a few other bits of 12v kit are on at all times. Power failure occurred when battery charger was on.

@Vaughan  I cannot try starting engine at the moment as am sitting in the White Horse Neatishead having a small libation to assist my trouble shooting skills.

Sadly, although the libation has assisted me in working out how to achieve world peace and how the government can pay off the national debt, it still remains a mystery to me as to what is wrong with my 12v system.

More libation required. 

• Haha 2

Maurice,

First the serious bit, no more physical fault finding until said libations have worn off. Remember electric and water do not mix.

If your charger is turned on and receiving power, I assume there must be some sort of power light? then I would assume your charger has said goodbye to this world at least until it receives some first aid.

My initial steps if your batteries are reading so low would be to turn off shore power, turn off charger and try and start the engine. I would assume your engine battery is isolated from your domestic batteries and therefore the engine should start. Assuming it does start, then run the engine a while and turn it off and check your domestic batteries again. Assuming they have recovered a little then you can more than likely assume that your charger has stopped charging and needs fixing / replacing. Since being on shore power you have steadily discharged your batteries.

If running the engine a while does not recover your domestic batteries, then more than likely you have a short on one of your batteries and it is dragging the other ones down. Finding and isolating that would be the next step, followed by working out if it has also caused damage to your charger.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Meantime said:

First the serious bit, no more physical fault finding until said libations have worn off. Remember electric and water do not mix.

No serious fault finding will be attempted until tomorrow morning. 

I shall try starting the engine but that's about it.

A replacement battery charger will be expensive, though not as much as four new domestic batteries.

• Like 1

It's always hard to diagnose remotely, but the fact that your TV's shut down one after the other, rather than at the same time suggests to me slowly discharging batteries through usage, rather than a sudden short, which in turn means that your battery charger wasn't charging whilst you were on shore power.

Most battery chargers will charge your batteries, then give them an equalisation charge to level the charge amongst all the batteries, switch to power pack mode where your day to day usage will come direct from the charger, not your batteries, unless your demand is very high. Even for a short period of very high demand the combination of your batteries and charger would keep the voltage somewhere around normal.

I would almost put money on it being your charger faulty, but has it just died from old age, or has another fault caused it to blow a fuse?

Assuming your engine starts and the domestic batteries start to recharge, then you need to check that power is reaching your charger. Has it got a light on? Is it hard wired or plugged into a 240V socket? Has the fuse blown in the plug? If so, normally for a reason! Assuming you have power and lights then there should be a fuse on the output of the charger that may have blown, either due to a fault, or overload. If your charger has multiple outputs to support separate battery banks then it is not uncommon to find the fuse in the negative cable, so check out positive and negative outputs from the charger for a fuse.