How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

My dear dear friend.

I fully accept your point about boats not having fridges back in the olden days, but in those days we were in the depths of austerity, periods between wars and the days before Macdonalds was invented ( making gin largely unnecessary ) 

However we are in modern times now. Roald Dahl is being sanitised, inflation is above 10% and the BBC has used the term "Different than".

No my friend, "Ice & a slice" is the only thing holding civilised society together. A refrigerator is no longer a luxury item, it is an essential part of a gentleman's drinks cabinet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

My 12V freezer went pop back in the summer, I already had an inverter and decent sized battery bank so made sense to purchase a £150 240v replacement as opposed to over £600 or so for a 12V version.  Apart from the 240v / 12v stickers they look identical !

No idea why hire yards are not doing the same, they do take up a lot more room and a 12v fridge plus not all hire boats have 240V yet.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Roald Dahl is being sanitised, inflation is above 10% and the BBC has used the term "Different than".

Whoa! So the world as we knew it is falling apart!

I think it’s our age…mind you the trend to refashion things into todays version of what’s right is getting out of hand. Do they really think that future generations will think exactly like today’s ‘accepted view’?  We should accept that previous generations thought differently, they lived with different society ‘norms’, and they were just as convinced as the current generation are that they were right. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Whoa! So the world as we knew it is falling apart!

I think it’s our age…mind you the trend to refashion things into todays version of what’s right is getting out of hand. Do they really think that future generations will think exactly like today’s ‘accepted view’?  We should accept that previous generations thought differently, they lived with different society ‘norms’, and they were just as convinced as the current generation are that they were right. 

I fear it’s going to get worse, Helen.  Wokeness and being politically correct seems to have overridden and form of common sense we used to have.  Just look at the adverts we see on TV everyday.

Being ‘normal’ is no longer permitted.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

they really think that future generations will think exactly like today’s ‘accepted view’?

I sincerely hope not. It’s all a bit bonkers at the moment, is that what the word ‘woke’ means?

I commented to my pregnant daughter, whom I hadn’t seen for a month, that her bump was  bigger than I expected for her stage of pregnancy. I got such a telling off, for what I’m not quite sure. I had somehow invaded her sense of privateness about her own body I think. 
Why are they so sensitive nowadays? My two certainly weren’t brought up to be ‘flowers’!

• Like 1

MM - See our tlc thread.

We had to replace the onboard marine 12v compressor fridge as cosmetically it was falling apart and getting religious (Holy).  Cost was plain ridiculous so we opted for the same size but 240v and saved the price of a third world countries national debt.  Its still running fine, never flattens the battery bank and performs just fine.  The youtube link of Sterling comparing various fridges earlier in this thread is worthy of watching

Griff

24 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

In reality change tends to swing between extremes before settling in the middle. It is becoming an alien landscape to many of our generation at the moment

Things also get distorted from their original intent. The phrase Health & Safety these days is almost a byword for petty regulations but when it was first widely introduced it probably saved many lives and prevented serious injuries.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

It all goes in a cycle, I am still waiting for kipper ties and flares to come back. 😁

In reality change tends to swing between extremes before settling in the middle. It is becoming an alien landscape to many of our generation at the moment.

You have nailed it Mark. Any student of history knows that things swing between extremes.Shame our new generations haven’t caught onto that. 

24 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Flares are back, based on my experience of trying to buy some jeans last week!

I’m flabbergasted, but yes, my favourite online sewing pattern shop announced a new pattern release today, it’s flares again. I know my Nain (grandma) used to say the wheel of fashion turns, but to have flares appear thrice in one’s lifetime is a bit much. Flares were in during my teens in the 70s, completely unfashionable in the 80s, reappeared in the late 90’s, and now back again!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Not wanting to show off but I'm still in a 32" waist and have been since my early twenties. took me years to get up to an acceptable size.  Nowadays my job and a fifty hour week keep me there

Griff

Fifty hours a week didn’t work for me!  For the last thirty years of my working life, fifty hours a week was a minimum.  Fifty five to sixty was usual and even more at times.  If my working hours correlated to to my waist measurement, you’d struggle to see me!! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I'm still in a 32" waist and have been since my early twenties. took me years to get up to an acceptable size.

Lucky so and so!!!! But granted, lots of exercise/physical work is one key factor I feel, and by lots, I mean far more than what is doable for most. I certainly am losing the battle. 
My son’s like you Griff. Trying to buy trousers long enough, but with a 28” waist is near impossible. He’s filled out now to 32” and it’s much easier. He even moaned to the gp once about why do people wanting to lose weight get all the help but there’s no help for those needing to put some weight on. I put it down to his job too, playing a trombone for hours a day must take up masses of energy, arms, lungs, heart, diaphragm, and he doesn’t replace it with beer which is the downfall of most burly brass players!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Not wanting to show off but I'm still in a 32" waist and have been since my early twenties. took me years to get up to an acceptable size.  Nowadays my job and a fifty hour week keep me there

Griff

When you are a little older, give up smoking and see what happens. 🙂

I gained a stone within a few months of giving up smoking, then had a bad stomach bug and lost half of it in a couple of weeks and stayed there for years, now getting porky at 11.5 stone, that'll be the beer mostly.

Still buying 30" waist though, don't want to be a fatty like Griff... :default_smiley-taunt014:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

He can't breathe out though :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

About 35 years ago I went to work for an agrocultural merchants and within a month of loading/unloading 25 and 50kg bags I had lost an inch from my waist and put it on my chest. The last ten years in an office has seen it all slip south again.

For you skinny folk with long legs: One of my grandsons is so blessed and we have a job finding trousers for him. But when we do, they are usually on the "final reductions" rail where us normal sized blokes draw a blank. M&S Spalding (Springfields) is worth a look if you're ever that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

One of my grandsons is so blessed and we have a job finding trousers for him. But when we do, they are usually on the "final reductions" rail where us normal sized blokes draw a blank. M&S Spalding (Springfields) is worth a look if you're ever that way

My Harry is fortunate in that respect too. The bargain trousers he's snaffled from MS! Sometimes down to less than £5. 

• Like 1

Well, I decided to go to one of the forum sponsors, JPC to be precise.  100% people is the impression I got. Lovely to deal with, friendly and very helpful. 

So I am now the proud owner of a 85litre Isotherm at what I can only call a better than competitive price, beating everyone else by a country mile.

On returning to the boat, I discovered that neither the old fridge, nor the new one will fit through the doors going astern. The only route has to be out of the wheelhouse, where, by chance is all my winters insulation.

Hey ho, a job for tomorrow.

Well, things never go smoothly for Mynahs.

• Like 4