How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

Mine's this one, taken from our second Hunter's Yard hire, when we and the boys hired two boats. Me and Graham on one and the boys on the other one.

I suppose I should change it to one of MS or of the dogs. I don't yet have a really good photo with both dogs in the frame though.

2016-07-08-1214-Copy.thumb.JPG.73cc5ac9d5f852adfa259216a0843b27.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

My Avatar is a picture of Cameron Donald, getting airborne at Ballaugh Bridge at the Isle of Man TT races, possibly in one of the practice sessions in the mid 2000's. 

cameron-donald-practice.jpg

Could at least have a pic of your own bike with that username,  or is that a whole new thread?

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Could at least have a pic of your own bike with that username,  or is that a whole new thread?

A bit of a story ...

I have a 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100M, owned from new. Toured it for 6 months to the Isle of Man TT then round Europe in '92, following a dream !

But it is currently in bits in the garage, due to a replacement petrol tank need because of a leak.

It needs to see the light of day again, and I need to get back in the saddle. Been far too long now :61_sob:

37 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Oh Biker, I thought it was you! 😥

If only !

I did half-try doing that jump, on my way around the course when it was 'roads open', but it is a tough one on bit of a bend, and asking for trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

Having said that, I did manage to get up to 165 MPH on the mountain section, pulling away from The Creg-Ny-Baa. That was fun, if not a bit scary (but perfectly legal there, I hasten to add ...)

My quickest 'lap' of the 37.7 mile course (under public, open roads conditions), was about 45 minutes.

That year, the absolute lap record was broken by Steve Hislop in the Senior TT on a Norton, at just over 18 minutes and an AVERAGE lap speed of over 123 MPH. I was there to see history being made, with the first Norton win at the TT since 1961. I have seen that very Norton a couple of times since, being displayed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The current outright lap record is held by Peter Hickman, set in 2018, at at time of 16m42s, begin an AVERAGE speed of over 135 MPH, and the highest recorded speed is now over 206 MPH - that is just mind boggling, in particular for a road circuit like the IOM TT !

• Like 2

Oh, and for those mindful of accusing me of Thread Drift ...

The title of this thread is "How Busy Can It Get?"

At the time I did my IOM and Europe trip, I was taking a sabbatical from working, so I am demonstrating and answering the (rhetorical ?) question posed, that life was not busy for me then.

And to get to the IOM, I took a ferry (a type of boat) with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company from Heysham to Douglas

To get to France to start the European leg of my Grand tour, I got another ferry across the Channel (it was before the days of Eurostar) 

And then to get around the Med and the various Greek islands, I took even more ferries

So I'm completely on-topic of both Boats and "How Busy Can It Get?", and I'm sure the OP @MauriceMynah will complement me on this fact :default_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Mine's this one, taken from our second Hunter's Yard hire, when we and the boys hired two boats. Me and Graham on one and the boys on the other one.

I suppose I should change it to one of MS or of the dogs. I don't yet have a really good photo with both dogs in the frame though.

2016-07-08-1214-Copy.thumb.JPG.73cc5ac9d5f852adfa259216a0843b27.JPG

A beautiful peaceful photograph that must be a wonderful memory. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

A beautiful peaceful photograph that must be a wonderful memory. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

You have persuaded me…I don’t need to change the picture.

Yes, it’s a wonderful memory. The first time both sons joined us and experienced the Broads. It was a special time too. We got under ‘that bridge’ part way through our week and moored up on one of the BA moorings. The following morning we only took one of the two Hustler yachts through Meadow Dyke, leaving the other on the BA mooring, but we took both dinghies and two quant poles with us through to Horsey. We had a lovely meal at the Nelson Head and the ‘boys’ had a fantastic time sailing around Horsey Mere each with their own dinghy. Getting back through Meadow Dyke against the wind was relatively a doddle with double quanting. After our holiday we found that someone had captured us briefly on our return trip through Meadow Dyke, around 3.20 mins into this video. 

• Like 4

Bung On Another Thousand.

Yep, that's what they say.  We'll it looks about right. Whilst pouring yesterday evening's libation, I noticed the ice had a distinctively soggy texture, further to that, it was gin clear and not very cold. In short it was still water, my refrigerator had failed.

Most parties here are well aware that refrigerators designed to run on 12 volts are hideously expensive and a standard domestic one, going through an inverter, is a far cheaper option, I worry that this is not generally the option hire fleets take, and I have no idea why.

Well, be it a domestic, an Isotherm or a Waeco we are talking pennies change from £800.

So what I am wondering  is that between those mentioned, are there any recommendations members would like to make regarding make and supplier ?

Edited to add that I am looking for the 80 / 85 litre capacity. 

I also found Jackson’s leisure good value compared with some others. But instead of the domestic crx80, the cre80 was ‘the same’ but without a salad box at the bottom and at the time (over a year ago) about £200 cheaper. Seeing as I didn’t fancy paying £200 for a salad box, especially as I’d have had to take it out to fit the dog food box in, I chose the cheaper option.
Does all the same stuff - exactly the same dimensions, reversible handle, removable freezer box if you want more fridge room, and we found some way of other of fitting a 2way switch so it can go on shore power or 12v, did it use something called a ‘dropper box’?

if you are replacing an old Waeco vex80, keep a shelf and a door shelf as both now only come with one shelf and one small door shelf (along with the  door box for milk etc). 

Looking just now, Jackson’s still seem good, cre80 is £680, crx80 £800

https://www.shoreline-uk.com/

i have used these people twice over the years and have had very good service from them

the last fridge i bought was a rr102, 98 litre,  looking at their site now the cost is £550

the item is ample size for two of us but maybe you keep more plonk in the fridge than me

MM. I know that this is a stressful time mate. Gin with no ice, like a soft boiled egg with no salt, a banana with no custard.

A new fridge. However did we manage without one. But...we did.

Now me old mate, me old mucker. All is not lost. Fear ye not. 

In days of yore our ancestors would sup a warm gin by a log fire, a mulled gin fired with a red hot poker, fortified with berries and herbs and cloves.

Do not be easily led by armchair fireside boaters. Resist temptation, do you really need a fridge. The fruits of the forest await you, the River Ant ice I am led to believe (upstream) is very wholesome. 

Old Wussername 

• Haha 5